ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2370 of 3903
« First < 1370187022702320236023662367236823692370 237123722373237423802420247028703370 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 05:35 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
You have a link to that graph?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
[Reply]
DaFace 05:39 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Not necessarily doubting the effectiveness of distancing and the rest, but how about the thought that the virus has been on our shores way longer than reported?
I'm not sure why that matters. It's certainly possible that it was here for a while and just being misdiagnosed. That doesn't change the fact that SOMETHING slowed it down.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:04 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm not sure why that matters. It's certainly possible that it was here for a while and just being misdiagnosed. That doesn't change the fact that SOMETHING slowed it down.
I think it's fair to say mitigation slowed it. To what degree we don't know and can only guess. It's like the mask argument. You cannot say for sure to what degree these steps help because you cannot have a completely parallel scenario where you don't use mitigation to compare too.

So since you don't have any comparable scientific data to compare to the best you can do is make an educated guess.

It's like saying if the Chiefs didn't run "that play" they would have won when in reality you don't know that unless you rewind and run a different play which obviously you cannot do.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:24 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I think it's fair to say mitigation slowed it. To what degree we don't know and can only guess. It's like the mask argument. You cannot say for sure to what degree these steps help because you cannot have a completely parallel scenario where you don't use mitigation to compare too.

So since you don't have any comparable scientific data to compare to the best you can do is make an educated guess.

It's like saying if the Chiefs didn't run "that play" they would have won when in reality you don't know that unless you rewind and run a different play which obviously you cannot do.
So what else DID slow it down?
[Reply]
R Clark 06:58 PM 06-20-2020
Certainly wasn’t hot weather
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:21 PM 06-20-2020
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
I’d love it if that chart augured good things, but we know the deaths come at a lag versus the infections. So declining death rates as the cases spike hardly provides an all-clear signal. Though I imagine given the cohort infected the death rate will be much lower.
Originally Posted by :
“It takes two to three weeks after infection for a person to be in critical condition or to die, so death curves generally follow along behind infection curves, something like one to two weeks delayed," Benjamin Neuman, chair of biological sciences at Texas A&M University-Texarkana, told Business Insider.

[Reply]
dlphg9 07:23 PM 06-20-2020
Gonna have to give them time to answer that question. They haven't had their weekly Nutjob meeting to come up with a good opinion on the matter that they can all agree upon.
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:05 PM 06-20-2020
You should go to twitter and follow @ethicalskeptic
[Reply]
petegz28 08:08 PM 06-20-2020
You obviously don't want to accept how things work and that's your choice. You have no way of proving to what extend mitigation did or didn't help. It helped. To what degree you can't say for sure. You can only provide an educated guess.

That's not me arguing with you. That's you arguing with how shit works.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:10 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Gonna have to give them time to answer that question. They haven't had their weekly Nutjob meeting to come up with a good opinion on the matter that they can all agree upon.
Why don't you just save us all time and tell us all factually exactly how much mitigation worked? Not how much you think it worked. Not how much it appears to have worked. But factually exactly how much it did work.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:12 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I’d love it if that chart augured good things, but we know the deaths come at a lag versus the infections. So declining death rates as the cases spike hardly provides an all-clear signal. Though I imagine given the cohort infected the death rate will be much lower.
First, I didn't post the graph

Second, he asked for a link to the graph and I gave him one

Third, I don't necessarily disagree with your take
[Reply]
DaFace 08:40 PM 06-20-2020
You obviously don't want to accept how things work and that's your choice. You have no way of proving to what extend mitigation did or didn't help. It helped. To what degree you can't say for sure. You can only provide an educated guess.

That's not me arguing with you. That's you arguing with how shit works.
How what works? What's your answer to the question?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:49 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
One of the mods needs to change the name of the damn thread to Groundhog Day.
Quick. Somebody get Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell to spend the night together...

...and virus be gone!
[Reply]
petegz28 08:51 PM 06-20-2020
How what works? What's your answer to the question?
We cannot say for a fact exactly to what extent mitigation helped or didn't. There is no possible way to do so because we don't have a parallel reality in which we did 0 mitigation to compare it to. All we can do is make an educated guess.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:53 PM 06-20-2020
We cannot say for a fact exactly to what extent mitigation helped or didn't. There is no possible way to do so because we don't have a parallel reality in which we did 0 mitigation to compare it to. All we can do is make an educated guess.
"I don't know" is a valid response.
[Reply]
Page 2370 of 3903
« First < 1370187022702320236023662367236823692370 237123722373237423802420247028703370 > Last »
Up