ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 38
« First < 192526272829 30313233 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:42 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I understood when KK fired Josh Trank due to the nonsense that happened during and after the filming of Fantastic Four.

I understood when KK fired Lord & Miller for shooting up to 40 takes of each and every scene while wildly veering from Larry Kasdan's script.

I understood hiring Rian Johnson, who's really a brilliant story teller and while I didn't "love" everything in that film or even agree with the direction, he was a very solid choice.

But firing Trevorrow? That, I don't get, especially after seeing all of the artwork and reading the story. While his Episode IX wouldn't have justified the Sequel Trilogy, his story didn't change Canon. His story didn't nullify Anakin's story arc or redemption and he didn't redeem Kylo Ren, which to me, was completely unjustified in Abrams version of IX.

I really believe that KK's on thin ice, especially after Iger resigned this week. But there's nothing that she could do in the future and there's nothing that Disney can do moving forward that will ever rectify the gigantic garbage pile of movie-making that is the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.

Nothing.
a Darth Vader centered movie about his prime years kicking butt and how he became feared throughout the galaxy as the Sith took power. That would get everyone back on board.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:49 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
a Darth Vader centered movie about his prime years kicking butt and how he became feared throughout the galaxy as the Sith took power. That would get everyone back on board.
Yep show the struggle inside as he slips deeper and deeper to the dark side. Movie can be centered around him chasing down remaining Jedi with a show down with Obi Wan.

End the movie with Obi Wan defeating him again but this time it’s less clear who won.

Find three Jedi masters for Vader to fight in his prime and the struggles he has with killing some of them
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:31 PM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Yep show the struggle inside as he slips deeper and deeper to the dark side. Movie can be centered around him chasing down remaining Jedi with a show down with Obi Wan.

End the movie with Obi Wan defeating him again but this time it’s less clear who won.

Find three Jedi masters for Vader to fight in his prime and the struggles he has with killing some of them
Canon comics have kind of already dispensed the notion of Vader being truly evil.

They've shown him as having mercy, as having doubts and regrets and feeling the "pull to the Light".

In the last issue of Vader Comics (#3, I believe), Vader runs into, what appears to be, Padme, who's apparently still alive, long after dying in RotS. We won't know for sure if it's truly Padme, and some have suggested it was one of her "look-a-like" body guards, until the next issue is released. But Anakin/Vader still has feelings for her.

But for the most part, it seems like Lucasfilm is veering Vader's story away from being the most evil man in the galaxy to a man that's confused about the choices he'd made, which of course eventually leads him towards redemption.

Personally, I'd rather Lucasfilm move their stories 1,000 years into the future rather than trying to "milk" the OT era for everything it's worth.
[Reply]
bowener 03:48 PM 03-09-2020
Canon comics have kind of already dispensed the notion of Vader being truly evil.

They've shown him as having mercy, as having doubts and regrets and feeling the "pull to the Light".

In the last issue of Vader Comics (#3, I believe), Vader runs into, what appears to be, Padme, who's apparently still alive, long after dying in RotS. We won't know for sure if it's truly Padme, and some have suggested it was one of her "look-a-like" body guards, until the next issue is released. But Anakin/Vader still has feelings for her.

But for the most part, it seems like Lucasfilm is veering Vader's story away from being the most evil man in the galaxy to a man that's confused about the choices he'd made, which of course eventually leads him towards redemption.

Personally, I'd rather Lucasfilm move their stories 1,000 years into the future rather than trying to "milk" the OT era for everything it's worth.
Absolutely agree with the bolded part. Vader, Yoda, Luke, and the rebellion would all be legend by then, which could be reflected upon in some fashion or just ignored entirely.

Not a direct response to you, but Vader has to be torn and emotional, in my opinion. You can't be fueled by hate and pain if you are an empty shell that feels nothing. So at the very least it has always made sense to me that he hangs on to the past and longs for his love, and when faced with that last existing pieces of Padme he turns on the Emperor.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:05 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by bowener:
Not a direct response to you, but Vader has to be torn and emotional, in my opinion. You can't be fueled by hate and pain if you are an empty shell that feels nothing. So at the very least it has always made sense to me that he hangs on to the past and longs for his love, and when faced with that last existing pieces of Padme he turns on the Emperor.
I recently re-watched the entire Skywalker saga (minus IX), which was a reminder as to how the Jedi and Palpatine manipulated Anakin with their lies, deceit and treachery. The only surprise is that he didn't turn on Palpatine as soon as he discovered that his son was alive.

And now that they've pretty much retconned Anakin's backstory, the next iteration of Star Wars needs a truly evil antagonist, not a "good" person who's life and loyalties were manipulated, which made this person "become" evil, but a character that's completely evil and with no redeeming qualities.

You know, kind of like The Emperor.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:41 PM 03-10-2020
This thread is the first place that I've ever seen it referred to as the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. So, thank you for that guys. Makes perfect sense. We have SW:PT, SW:OT, SW:ST. Or we can refer to the entire nine movie franchise as SW:POS and it fits perfectly.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:39 PM 03-13-2020
This was Harrison Ford's stunt double :-)

[Reply]
Mennonite 03:55 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
This was Harrison Ford's stunt double :-)

I had no idea Bill Mumy melted briefly in the mid-70s.

Useless trivia: Ford made an appearance in an episode of Gunsmoke called Whelan's Men. As a matter of fact, he shoots a dude across a poker table.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:16 PM 03-14-2020
FYI, released to Digital early so it's available today
[Reply]
Fish 10:29 AM 03-15-2020
FYI, released to Digital early so it's available today
So?

:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:39 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
So?

:-)
I bought it, of course, because my kids wanted to see it again.

Truth be told, if it was a stand-alone movie, it would be fantastic. It's action packed, fun, has a few laughs and amazing visuals.

The problems begin when it's dropped into a nine-film saga because if you think about the films that came before, along with 130 plus episodes of The Clone Wars and 50+ Rebels (not to mention all of the really great short films on Disney+), it completely falls apart.

But if you ignore those, it's a blast, which is what I chose to do last night. :-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:03 PM 03-15-2020
I bought it, of course, because my kids wanted to see it again.

Truth be told, if it was a stand-alone movie, it would be fantastic. It's action packed, fun, has a few laughs and amazing visuals.

The problems begin when it's dropped into a nine-film saga because if you think about the films that came before, along with 130 plus episodes of The Clone Wars and 50+ Rebels (not to mention all of the really great short films on Disney+), it completely falls apart.

But if you ignore those, it's a blast, which is what I chose to do last night. :-)
Exactly this. It’s a fun movie. JJ knows how to keep things moving and couldn’t make a boring movie if he tried.

The problems come because nobody thought this trilogy out from the beginning. It was made up as they went along.

And then to expect fans to buy and read all these books to fill in the gaps is downright insane.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:17 AM 03-16-2020
Just read the latest issue of The Rise of Kylo Ren.

It's a far more interesting story than anything in the sequel trilogy.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:40 PM 03-16-2020

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:18 PM 03-19-2020

#StarWars Confirms How Emperor Palpatine Survived Return of the Jedihttps://t.co/DGLSkpB209 pic.twitter.com/jj090QFEvt

— Screen Rant (@screenrant) March 19, 2020

Another article about how Palpatine's soul was able to survive after ROTJ.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 38
« First < 192526272829 30313233 > Last »
Up