ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 70
« First < 61213141516 171819202666 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:40 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Christ, I didn't know there were going to be spoilers. I watched the interview at the beginning then skipped ahead to Seven shooting some chick. I can only assume that either the uploader has never seen In the Pale Moonlight, or the chick that got shot was named Optimism.
Not to mention pretty much the entire second half of DS9 in general. No hippies in space there, and if there had been, they would have died bloody.

Sisko = greatest star fleet captain ever. Does the right thing until it's time to not do the right thing.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:42 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Not to mention pretty much the entire second half of DS9 in general. No hippies in space there, and if there had been, they would have died bloody.

Sisko = greatest star fleet captain ever. Does the right thing until it's time to not do the right thing.
He kinda was the space hippie when it came to the Maquis.

Who were right about everything.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:45 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
He kinda was the space hippie when it came to the Maquis.

Who were right about everything.
:-) Yeah, they were, weren't they?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:47 PM 02-21-2020
:-) Yeah, they were, weren't they?
Eddington was lowkey the best non principal character arc on the show as it pertained to the realities of the Federation.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:52 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Eddington was lowkey the best non principal character arc on the show as it pertained to the realities of the Federation.
Yep. I also liked how he really got under Sisko's skin, and Sisko basically ran with it. Eddington's Javert comparison really wasn't very far off.

Fun fact - it was after that episode that I went to see Les Miserables in the theater for the first time.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:00 PM 02-21-2020
Yep. I also liked how he really got under Sisko's skin, and Sisko basically ran with it. Eddington's Javert comparison really wasn't very far off.

Fun fact - it was after that episode that I went to see Les Miserables in the theater for the first time.
Really, that was the worst weakness of Sisko in he held the grudge against Eddington because he betrayed him in a way that made Sisko look like a clown and because he (at least indirectly) implicated Kassidy with the Maquis.

But really when you step back.. Sisko's arc to that point logically should have led him to at least sympathizing with the Maquis' motivations (but not their methods when they started firing on Starfleet ships) given his Cal Hudson defecting early on and how the Federation handled Bajor... though that last part is a bit of headcanon since we didn't learn about Sisko's bosses bitching about him not shirking his status as the Emissary until long after the Maquis were wiped out.
[Reply]
Mennonite 05:31 PM 02-21-2020
One thing that some Trek fans misunderstand about Sisko contaminating those Cardassian worlds is that they don't seem to realize that he is only playing up his role as Javert because he knows Eddington has a desire to sacrifice himself as a noble martyr. Some fans howl "Sisko tried to commit genocide" but I think it was just a risky gamble that took advantage of his understanding Eddington's psychology.

Random DS9 hottake since I'm doing a rewatch: Far Beyond the Stars kinda sucks.

"Racism is bad" isn't a new topic for Trek, and it's usually handled in a hamfisted manner. Here it's typically on the nose, but it's message is kind of undercut by placing the story in the late 40s /early 50s. The message becomes "racism was bad...in 1948."

It was fun seeing the characters out of make-up, but it's pretty obvious that some members of the cast are only good at playing their regular roles.

The "Trek is all a story by some unknown sci-fi writer named Benny Russel" is insultingly bad. It's a ripoff of St. Elsewhere's ending to begin with, it pisses on the other series, and it completely comes out of left field. Just bad all around. Did you know that their were discussions about having the series finale end with Benny leaving the Paramount studio?
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:38 PM 02-21-2020
Just watched the 5th episode.

Really enjoyed seeing 7-of-9 (Jeri Ryan). Damn, she looks great. How does she maintain her hotness when every other chick form Star Trek has declined into various states of non-hotness?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:45 PM 02-21-2020
Because she was hotter than any of them to begin with.

Usually smoking hot models retain hotness into their 50s if they don't get fat.
[Reply]
Mennonite 05:58 PM 02-21-2020
We've all seen the recent Yasmine Bleeth pics, right?

She's hit Kelly Lebrock levels of chonk.

I can barely jerk off to her now.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:05 PM 02-21-2020
Mildy scared to see a pic of Jolene Blalock now.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:22 PM 02-21-2020

:-)
[Reply]
Bowser 06:23 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Mildy scared to see a pic of Jolene Blalock now.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:38 PM 02-21-2020

It appears that she's sucked the lifeforce from her pup

[Reply]
Mennonite 09:02 PM 02-21-2020
Why am I suddenly thinking of the Grinch's dog trying to pull the over-full sleigh?
[Reply]
Page 16 of 70
« First < 61213141516 171819202666 > Last »
Up