ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 99 of 361
« First < 49899596979899 100101102103109149199 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 04:31 PM 01-12-2018
Ugh:

The test firing, originally scheduled for Thursday, and then re-scheduled for Friday, will now happen no earlier than 5 p.m. on Saturday.

The Falcon Heavy rocket has been moved from its upright position and is now on its side at Kennedy Space Center. SpaceX has not said why the two test-fires have been scrubbed.

[Reply]
DaFace 12:01 PM 01-19-2018
Guess I'm not surprised, but it's not looking like FH will launch in January. They're now in a holding pattern on the static fire due to delays with the ULA Atlas V launch next door (which has priority over a test obviously). Hopefully they get it in someday soon, but I'm not holding my breath.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:50 PM 01-21-2018
Just for the record, launches are shutdown when the government is shutdown. So everything on the calendar right now is likely drifting to the right.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:49 PM 01-24-2018
There she blows!

First static fire test of Falcon Heavy complete—one step closer to first test flight! pic.twitter.com/EZF4JOT8e4

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) January 24, 2018

Falcon Heavy hold-down firing this morning was good. Generated quite a thunderhead of steam. Launching in a week or so. pic.twitter.com/npaqatbNir

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 24, 2018

[Reply]
Donger 01:49 PM 01-24-2018
Yay!
[Reply]
DaFace 05:09 PM 01-25-2018
I'm going to go ahead and put SES-16 on the clock for Tuesday. There's still technically a chance that FH could happen first, but I doubt it. You can bet I'll be posting it as soon as we have a time set for FH.

For what it's worth, SES-16 will be a previously-flown booster, but they're (by choice) not going to recover it. It's looking like they're gonna plow through a bunch of old Block 3 boosters and not try to recover them as they make way for Block 5 (the first of which is now out of assembly and will be used on an upcoming mission). This is probably also at least partially due to the fact that the center core of FH has to go somewhere, and it's looking like that's going to happen sooner than later. :-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:26 PM 01-25-2018
Sorry if Q...

I heard a little piece on the radio the other day about the SLS, so on the heels of Falcon heavy might be SLS. This could be fun..

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2737/1

vs.

[Reply]
eDave 08:29 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Sorry if Q...

I heard a little piece on the radio the other day about the SLS, so on the heels of Falcon heavy might be SLS. This could be fun..

Awesome times. I might make it into space before I die after all.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:01 PM 01-26-2018

Guys... are you ready!? #FalconHeavy LAUNCH DATE!

February 6th, with a backup on the 7th.

Launch time is 13:30-16:30 EST (18:30-21:30 UTC)#ItsHappening

— Chris G - NSF (@ChrisG_NSF) January 26, 2018

Added to the OP. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 02:10 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Sorry if Q...

vs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm excited about SLS in general. But it's been delayed so much and is going to be so damn expensive to fly, my expectations have been tempered significantly.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:53 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Don't get me wrong - I'm excited about SLS in general. But it's been delayed so much and is going to be so damn expensive to fly, my expectations have been tempered significantly.
If it entertains me, their money is no object. :-)
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 01:11 PM 01-27-2018
I have been someone that has lurked this board for probably 10 years but never saw a point in creating a profile and getting into the mix of things.

But I wanted to create one to give a big shout out to DaFace for this thread. I never really payed attention to SpaceX until I started reading this thread (around the time of their first or second attempt to land) and I have been obsessed since then. I have the falcon heavy launch date on my calendar and I am organizing a launch party at work.

So thanks to DaFace for keeping this thread updated and spreading the excitement!
[Reply]
DaFace 04:16 PM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:
I have been someone that has lurked this board for probably 10 years but never saw a point in creating a profile and getting into the mix of things.

But I wanted to create one to give a big shout out to DaFace for this thread. I never really payed attention to SpaceX until I started reading this thread (around the time of their first or second attempt to land) and I have been obsessed since then. I have the falcon heavy launch date on my calendar and I am organizing a launch party at work.

So thanks to DaFace for keeping this thread updated and spreading the excitement!
That's awesome man. Glad the thread helped you find something interesting to follow. The more people we can get to value experimentation and exploration, the better!
[Reply]
Donger 04:49 PM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:

Welcome to the CP Space Club! In a few years, we may have enough members to have a get together in a small room.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:11 PM 01-28-2018
This isn't about SpaceX really, but...

I love Elon for a wide variety of reasons, but among them is the fact that he can be at the forefront of all of these game-changing technologies while still acting like a complete goofball nerd. If you haven't followed, he's (somewhat playfully, but you never know) starting a tunnel-boring company called "The Boring Company." As a reference to Spaceballs, he said that, if they sold 50k hats, he'd make a flamethrower. Well, here he is playing with the damn thing around the office last night.

:-)FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:658px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">
:-)F8F8F8; line-height:0; margin-top:40px; padding:50.0% 0; text-align:center; width:100%;">

:-)000; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none; word-wrap:break-word;" target="_blank">Don’t do this. Also, I want to be clear that a flamethrower is a super terrible idea. Definitely don’t buy one. Unless you like fun.

:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A post shared by :-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px;" target="_blank"> Elon Musk (@elonmusk) on

You can order one for yourself if you care.

https://www.boringcompany.com/flamethrower
[Reply]
Page 99 of 361
« First < 49899596979899 100101102103109149199 > Last »
Up