ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 242 of 324
« First < 142192232238239240241242 243244245246252292 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:22 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Do you remember the games against the Packers, Giants, and Cowboys last season? Do you not remember just how much our defense outplayed our offense?
I do,

But I also think our personnel is better this year. I just don't feel like the defensive play calling is playing to their strengths. Feel the same way about offense honestly.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:24 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
It's on Mahomes for sure. His INT's were really bad and he held the ball too long at times. He had a few good drives, but for the most part he was too sloppy. He's gotta be a lot better next time around.

That said, I'm not too confident in the defense for a rematch. They were extremely fortunate Buffalo scored zero points on 2 trips into the Red Zone. Could have easily been a 38 point game for Buffalo.
Trent McDuffie and especially Willie Gay are crucial. They change a lot.

Also Bryan Cook is way faster than Deon Bush. We missed that speed a lot.
[Reply]
gratiaprex 02:29 PM 10-19-2022
I think it's clear that while the defense has its moments, it's not really able to put consistent pressure on opposing QBs without clever blitz packages (or CJ being superman). Even so, forcing turnovers has not been a strong point with Spags. The Eagles in one year with Fangio advising were able to transform themselves into a turnover machine.

This article does a great job of explaining why the NFL is looking to Fangio and his proteges to confuse quarterbacks.

See this link: theathletic.com/3311028/2022/05/24/vic-fangio-defense-analysis/[/url]
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:35 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Defense was not in any way to fault for this loss. Yeah they gave up a long drive for a TD. That’s what happens against an elite QB sometimes. They gave up 24 points.

The Chiefs offense had two golden opportunities to win this and they ended it in a 3 and out and INT.

This one was on the offense
When our guy goes scorched earth, he's a badass.

When their guy does it, our defense sucks.

:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:37 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by gratiaprex:
I think it's clear that while the defense has its moments, it's not really able to put consistent pressure on opposing QBs without clever blitz packages (or CJ being superman). Even so, forcing turnovers has not been a strong point with Spags. The Eagles in one year with Fangio advising were able to transform themselves into a turnover machine.

This article does a great job of explaining why the NFL is looking to Fangio and his proteges to confuse quarterbacks.

See this link: theathletic.com/3311028/2022/05/24/vic-fangio-defense-analysis/[/url]
I don't disagree at all - the DL just isn't as strong as I'd like it to be, or anywhere close to it.

But the roster is what the roster is. So it's up to Spags to make the pieces work. And given that he has a mediocre (at best) front 4 to work with, he's gotta take some high risk, high reward shots.

And sometimes they don't work out. Sometimes the bear eats you.

And it isn't just because 'Spags Sucks!!' - the other guys are pretty damn good sometimes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:51 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't disagree at all - the DL just isn't as strong as I'd like it to be, or anywhere close to it.

But the roster is what the roster is. So it's up to Spags to make the pieces work. And given that he has a mediocre (at best) front 4 to work with, he's gotta take some high risk, high reward shots.

And sometimes they don't work out. Sometimes the bear eats you.

And it isn't just because 'Spags Sucks!!' - the other guys are pretty damn good sometimes.
Allen had like 10 straight incompletions at one point in the game I believe. He did a good enough job for the offense to pull away and they just couldn't do it.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 06:09 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The Chiefs have allowed 30 points 1 time this year and it was bc the Bucs were way behind and we were playing prevent.

This time last year we allowed 29, 36, 30, 30 and 38 points in 5 of our first 6 games and the defense looked terrible.

They look much better this year even with the youth injection
They may look better, but they still have some god awful stats in many categories. Last in missed tackles, last in opponent passer rating, last in YAC.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:19 PM 10-19-2022
if mahomes and co did their job up 3 with 6 minutes left everyone today is sucking off spags
[Reply]
raybec 4 06:22 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
if mahomes and co did their job up 3 with 6 minutes left everyone today is sucking off spags
I hate to say it, but this is 100% accurate.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:22 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
They may look better, but they still have some god awful stats in many categories. Last in missed tackles, last in opponent passer rating, last in YAC.
You get that through the first six weeks KC has played five playoff teams from last season? Including three teams (BUF, TB, AZ) that were among the league's top-5 passing offenses from last year? With no less than five new to KC and Spags players, including a couple rooks?

And yet, they've only allowed an opponent to score more than 30 once and more than 24 twice? Are you suggesting they fluked their way into those numbers?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 06:35 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I personally think that's where we blew our chance. The end of the first half was a disaster but despite that we had a chance to put them away. I'm not bothered looking back at the way the final drive ended. It's the drive you were talking about that bothers me.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 08:13 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
You get that through the first six weeks KC has played five playoff teams from last season? Including three teams (BUF, TB, AZ) that were among the league's top-5 passing offenses from last year? With no less than five new to KC and Spags players, including a couple rooks?

And yet, they've only allowed an opponent to score more than 30 once and more than 24 twice? Are you suggesting they fluked their way into those numbers?
You’re talking about LAST YEAR. This is THIS YEAR. Does TB, and AZ look like the same teams from last year? Let’s go on the merits of the current season.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:20 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
50 fucking years without a Super Bowl appearance. One AFCCG game appearance 30 years ago.

A letdown? Fuck, them going to two SB's and winning one is a fucking dream come true.

GTFO.
This man is on a resonance wavelength with my ass.

There is no way at all that 4 straight AFCCG is a letdown. If we didn't win any of them, then sure, get fussy. People like the 2000's Chiefs fans will call you an entitled cunt, but that one I get.

Here's the thing. The Goddamned Brotherfucking Cheatriot Fuckbags (and their associated officiating) has ruined expectations for the rest of the league.

Here's the reality: AFTER the salary cap era, dynasties don't happen, unless you're obviously cheating, have a great coach that fell ass backward into a great QB, and the officiating is always in your favor. That's a HEAVY fucking lift for any dynasty to achieve over the long term. And I think the refs have been pretty clear that Mahomes isn't getting those calls.

Mahomes is the best there has ever been, and I'll die on that hill... to the grave. But as good as he is, he can't make up as much ground as cheating, coaching, and reffing can from his one position.

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Spags is a very frustrating guy to watch.

You can see him come out and screw their plan all game, and then there's one or two calls that get made, that just undo literally everything.

Shit like backing off on a rattled Josh Allen on 3rd and 2 from the 1 with the stadium shaking with noise. Boom. Out of a jam, plus a Randy Reidtard classic defensive timeout, and they walk right down the field for a td.

Or shit like putting Davante mother fucking Adams in single coverage.

Or like the zero blitz on 3rd n 27 at Cincinnatti last year.

We've seen the guy put qbs like Brady in a box for an entire game and totally shut him down, so the ability is there.

And when your offense is struggling, you just can't have the "oh boy yeah. Gosh I'd really like to have that one back and maybe call something different" plays you lament in the press conferences.
I'm with you. And I was as vocal as anybody about singling up rookies on #1 receivers.

HOWEVER, me in the heat of the moment, and you now are obviously missing the times that he did it and it worked. So yeah, fire away, but if he's always rolling safeties over and playing it conservative, he doesn't get the good plays and we just take a nice stroll down the field for a touchdown.

Much like I'd never try to coach Mahomes out of that last interception because you lose entirely too much good to get rid of the bad, you just gotta wear those. Unless he can convince Veach to go hog on passrushers like NYG did when he was there, it ain't happening.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 07:57 AM 10-20-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Much like I'd never try to coach Mahomes out of that last interception because you lose entirely too much good to get rid of the bad, you just gotta wear those. Unless he can convince Veach to go hog on passrushers like NYG did when he was there, it ain't happening.
Respectfully, I'll gladly coach Mahomes out of that last interception.

That was first down. You cannot make that play there and if means missing on the occasional remarkable play on 1st down (that he'll probably just make on 2nd or 3rd instead), so be it.

But the issue with that play isn't that it happened, its that it happened on 1st down with a minute left and 2 timeouts. Just throw the damn ball away.

Allen would've...
[Reply]
RunKC 08:04 AM 10-20-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
When our guy goes scorched earth, he's a badass.

When their guy does it, our defense sucks.

:-)
Patrick Mahomes is elite. So is Josh Allen…maybe.

I’m still shocked that a defense composed of rookie day 3 starting corners, a backup safety, no Willie Gay, no Trent McDuffie and a struggling pass rush held that offense to 17 points until the last few mins and 24 overall.

Josh Allen struggled. Like he struggled pretty badly until the end of the 3rd. We had that man in hell for a good 2 quarters.

But the point remains. Patrick and the offense had every opportunity to drive down and win. Hell even get a FG on that drive and your last drive becomes a “get 35 or so yards to set up a game winning FG” but instead they needed a TD.

They went 3 and out. Just can’t do that. I guess that’s the adjustment to the new offense
[Reply]
Page 242 of 324
« First < 142192232238239240241242 243244245246252292 > Last »
Up