ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2915 of 3903
« First < 1915241528152865290529112912291329142915 29162917291829192925296530153415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 09:02 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
There is literally zero benefit to this. I have no idea where you guys get these ideas.
If the health department calls you and tells you were in close contact with an infected person you need to go get a test whether you are showing symptoms or not. This is basic stuff. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 09:02 AM 08-27-2020
You guys can get back to your echo chamber of thought now.
WHAT? WHAt? WHat? What? what?
[Reply]
Donger 09:02 AM 08-27-2020
There is literally zero benefit to this. I have no idea where you guys get these ideas.
Here you, Doc:

The Infectious Diseases Society of America and the HIV Medicine Association called for the “immediate reversal” of the update in a joint statement.

“It is essential that public health guidelines be rooted in the best available scientific evidence,” the two groups said. “Testing asymptomatic individuals who have been exposed to a person with COVID-19 remains a critical evidence-based strategy for containing the pandemic and reducing transmission.”

and

"I am concerned about the interpretation of these recommendations and worried it will give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic spread is not of great concern. In fact it is," Fauci added.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:04 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
If the health department calls you and tells you were in close contact with an infected person you need to go get a test whether you are showing symptoms or not. This is basic stuff. :-)
This is from 2009...contrast it in every aspect to today....seen anything different? I will help

Originally Posted by :
In late July, the CDC abruptly advised states to stop testing for H1N1 flu, and stopped counting individual cases. The rationale given for the CDC guidance to forego testing and tracking individual cases was: why waste resources testing for H1N1 flu when the government has already confirmed there's an epidemic?

Some public health officials privately disagreed with the decision to stop testing and counting, telling CBS News that continued tracking of this new and possibly changing virus was important because H1N1 has a different epidemiology, affects younger people more than seasonal flu and has been shown to have a higher case fatality rate than other flu virus strains.

[Reply]
O.city 09:05 AM 08-27-2020
Testing asymptomatic people because of potential exposure has nothing to do with that, that's a totally different topic.

Mass testing and then contact tracing of positives is the only thing that would tell us about that and that has nothing to do with the CDC guideline change.
If asymptomatic people are spreading, we need to know who's positive even if not showing symptoms.

I'm skeptical they're really spreading it that much, but thats the idea behind mass testing. Gotta know where it's at.
[Reply]
O.city 09:06 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Testing positive is not the same as testing for the ability to spread, right?
Correct.

But I'm guessing it's the best option we have at the moment to determine anything, I guess?
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:07 AM 08-27-2020
Testing positive is not the same as testing for the ability to spread, right?
That's not even the point. Its not time effective nor useful to test people who have simple been "possibly exposed" and exhibit no symptom.

We have probably dealt with close to 100 close contact scenarios and the health departments did not test a single person unless they became symptomatic. This is across Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma from a state perspective and 5 or 6 county health departments.

By the time you wait long enough to definitely determine the test would be accurate the quarantine time will have expired and if you have been asymptomatic you don't need a test. At that point you may as well do an antibody test.

People went from bitching about a back log of testing to bitching about this stuff.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:07 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
If asymptomatic people are spreading, we need to know who's positive even if not showing symptoms.

I'm skeptical they're really spreading it that much, but thats the idea behind mass testing. Gotta know where it's at.
What you are posing is that everyone get tested everyday regardless of symptoms when you get down to it.

Now, if I have no symptoms and the person I work next to tests positive then I think I should go get a test, I agree.

But if I am not showing any symptoms and I may have possibly been exposed then yeah practically speaking it's a waste.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:07 AM 08-27-2020

Again mass testing has nothing to do with this subject.(CDC changes)
[Reply]
Donger 09:08 AM 08-27-2020
Correct.

But I'm guessing it's the best option we have at the moment to determine anything, I guess?
Can people who are not infected spread the virus?
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:11 AM 08-27-2020
This is from 2009...contrast it in every aspect to today....seen anything different? I will help
They probably should have continued to testing but then we are back to comparing H1N1 to Covid and covid blew past it in the first few weeks. There is no comparison.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:12 AM 08-27-2020
That's not even the point. Its not time effective nor useful to test people who have simple been "possibly exposed" and exhibit no symptom.

We have probably dealt with close to 100 close contact scenarios and the health departments did not test a single person unless they became symptomatic. This is across Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma from a state perspective and 5 or 6 county health departments.

By the time you wait long enough to definitely determine the test would be accurate the quarantine time will have expired and if you have been asymptomatic you don't need a test. At that point you may as well do an antibody test.

People went from bitching about a back log of testing to bitching about this stuff.

Oh I agree. The goal posts are moving fast enough to be confused with a game of musical chairs.

The fact is people need to start getting a grip that "cases" does not mean what we thought it meant 6 months ago. Particularly in my area. Cases are in "the red zone" yet fortunately for most and not so fortunate for the elderly is the death count has literally not changed in months in the age groups 69 and under.

So if I see the largest age group to get the virus in my area is 20-29 yet only one person in that group has died in 6 months there are multiple reasons why people won't and maybe even shouldn't waste their time getting tested.

The media and some others still want to equate cases to a death sentence. When that gets challenged then it goes to anecdotal evidence of possible residual effects. And round and around it goes, deaths-cases-residual effects-deaths-cases-residual effects.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:14 AM 08-27-2020
so my co-worker after being down with the flu for a few days is back to work and 2 negative Covid tests. The flu has not gone away.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:15 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
They probably should have continued to testing but then we are back to comparing H1N1 to Covid and covid blew past it in the first few weeks. There is no comparison.
Yeah I think you missed the entire point but you do you
[Reply]
kgrund 09:16 AM 08-27-2020
I think if they stopped testing asymptomatic people it would have little or no effect on stopping the spread. You could argue it could even help. When you do not know that asymptomatic people are even big players in the spread, eliminating them from the pool would help you guesstimate better the impact that they do have. Would better allow us to determine if this segment is really the bogeyman that many portray them to be.
[Reply]
Page 2915 of 3903
« First < 1915241528152865290529112912291329142915 29162917291829192925296530153415 > Last »
Up