ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 11
« First < 678910 11 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Joe Delaney - I-435 & BBQ Contest Projects **6/29 I-435 Project Accomplished!**
AJKCFAN 06:40 PM 06-14-2021
It is my humble and distinct honor to inform you that we have received official notification from MODOT and have been advised that the I-435 Joe Delaney Memorial Highway signs have been completed and they have been transferred to a MODOT facility location in Lee’s Summit.

We were told that the installation of these signs can go up as soon as this upcoming Thursday June 17.

However, with the Anniversary date of the Delaney Tragedy (June 29, 1983) occurring a little bit later in the month, I have requested and received permission from MODOT that installation be delayed until Tuesday June 29 so that it can fittingly coincide with commemorating the 38th Anniversary of this somber occasion.

There might even be a ceremony to mark the occasion but we are trying to see if the Delaney family can attend the event. At this point in time, it is unlikely that there will be a ceremony on such short notice. There does not need to really be one. Just if you happen to be in the area, drive by I-435 between Exit 66 (Missouri State Road 350) to Exit 63C (Raytown Road) in either direction come June 29 and you will see the signs installed.

Take pictures if you can!

Otherwise, if you cannot take the drive - I’m sure it will that day be part of the evening news, newspaper, etc.

It’s going up ladies and gentlemen!
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 07:09 PM 06-14-2021
Originally Posted by AJKCFAN:
It is my humble and distinct honor to inform you that we have received official notification from MODOT and have been advised that the I-435 Joe Delaney Memorial Highway signs have been completed and they have been transferred to a MODOT facility location in Lee’s Summit.

We were told that the installation of these signs can go up as soon as this upcoming Thursday June 17.

However, with the Anniversary date of the Delaney Tragedy (June 29, 1983) occurring a little bit later in the month, I have requested and received permission from MODOT that installation be delayed until Tuesday June 29 so that it can fittingly coincide with commemorating the 38th Anniversary of this somber occasion.

There might even be a ceremony to mark the occasion but we are trying to see if the Delaney family can attend the event. At this point in time, it is unlikely that there will be a ceremony on such short notice. There does not need to really be one. Just if you happen to be in the area, drive by I-435 between Exit 66 (Missouri State Road 350) to Exit 63C (Raytown Road) in either direction come June 29 and you will see the signs installed.

Otherwise, if you cannot take the drive - I’m sure it will that day be part of the evening news, newspaper, etc.

Fantastic work! Glad to see it all come to fruition. Thanks to everyone who helped out. :-)
[Reply]
HayWire 03:55 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by AJKCFAN:

You, sir, are a legend.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:36 PM 06-14-2021
Awesome. Will disseminate.
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:31 PM 06-14-2021
Updated OP, will sticky for a few days.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:06 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Updated OP, will sticky for a few days.
I'm surprised your sticky button works.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:07 PM 06-17-2021
The newest Arrowhead Kingdom column

37 Forever
By Chris Thomas

"Greater love has no man than to lay down his life for another.”

In the 1981 draft, the Kansas City Chiefs selected a running back in the second round. That player would go on to have one of the best rookie seasons, and possibly the best to that point, in Chiefs history. He was selected to the Pro Bowl that season by setting four club records including a 196-yard performance against the Houston Oilers in November of that season. Opposing players described this running back in the following:

"I've played against the best: O.J. Simpson, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton and he ranks right up there with them. He is great with a capital G." - Elvin Bethea, NFL Hall of Famer
Another former college teammate of his said he was "the closest thing to Walter Payton." - Barry Rubin

This man was also considered to be "good, honest and humble" has also been described in the following manner:

His wife Carolyn said that he "was a person that would give his shirt off his back to you. He was a kindhearted person. He was also helping people, and he didn't worry about himself. He just worried about making people happy."

This individual gave more than the shirt off his back, which doesn't even touch the surface of how selfless this man was. On June 29, 1983, Joe Alton Delaney attempted to save three children from drowning in Chennault Park, in Monroe Louisiana. Joe Alton Delaney lost his life that day. It's been said that Joe Alton Delaney did not know how to swim, despite that he tried to save these children without even thinking. For his incredibly selfless act the Presidential Citizens Metal was given in his honor by President Ronald Regan.

A few weeks ago, Josh had the pleasure of talking with Adam Jassey, a founding member of the 37Forever Foundation. Check out the full interview here. I was not able to join the conversation, however Josh did ask me if I wanted to say a few words on behalf of Joe. Unfortunately, I declined because I was worried, I would not give an informed and personable take on such an incredible human being. It also left me wondering why I hadn't taken the time to get to know Joe Alton Delaney.

I will admit, my mind is a bit blown after hearing Adam's story and reading up that little had really been done to honor his memory until the 21st Century. Growing up, I don't remember hearing of Joe until he was elected to the Ring of Honor in 2004. I suppose some lost time has been made up, largely due to Adam's efforts, but I can't help but wonder why Joe's life was not memorialized until almost 2 decades after his selfless act.

The number 37 has not been worn since Delaney left us, and deservedly so. Why it hasn't been officially retired is beyond me. I always wondered if I ever met Clark Hunt, what would I say or ask him. I have decided if I ever do get the opportunity is to ask why the number 37 isn't retired and why it took so long to honor his memory. The team did wear a patch on their jerseys for the 1983 season, but so much more could have and should have been done.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:51 PM 06-27-2021
I will go out to 435 tomorrow after work and see if anything is happening.

Then again at lunchtime Tuesday.
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 02:04 PM 06-28-2021
MODOT email just received

Weather permitting both signs (one sign in each direction), will be up tomorrow (Tuesday June 29) on I-435 by 11:00 am.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:04 PM 06-28-2021
No signs up yet, but big construction markers at both exits.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:03 PM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
No signs up yet, but big construction markers at both exits.
It’s up
Attached: 3B66DE6D-E170-4745-8C6F-D01E28EDF47B.jpg (82.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:08 PM 06-29-2021
Well done gents
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:07 PM 06-29-2021

New: A stretch of I-435 near the Truman Sports Complex now honors the late & great Chiefs running back, Joe Delaney. This is all thanks to Delaney's friends and family. #ChiefsKingdom pic.twitter.com/snZgVFcXIQ

— MoDOT Kansas City (@MoDOT_KC) June 29, 2021

[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 02:10 PM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
out-fucking-standing
[Reply]
Hydrae 02:16 PM 06-29-2021
Awesome!
[Reply]
Page 10 of 11
« First < 678910 11 >
Up