ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 606 of 1207
« First < 106506556596602603604605606 6076086096106166567061106 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:56 PM 08-26-2017
I bought some prime rib cap steaks today for tomorrow.

[Reply]
Easy 6 02:05 PM 08-26-2017
Just doing the old standby fajitas tonight, found a good deal on grass fed sirloin and picked up some La Preferida fajita seasoning

I'll put some Spanish rice with it, and top them with sour cream
[Reply]
Stewie 03:08 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:

I've never heard of prime rib cap steaks. How are they different than a ribeye?
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:11 PM 08-26-2017
That is some fantastic marbling, they're gonna be some flavorful and tender mfers
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:11 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I've never heard of prime rib cap steaks. How are they different than a ribeye?

The rib cap is just the cap part of the rib eye. You know - the best part of the rib eye!
[Reply]
Buzz 08:34 PM 08-26-2017
Tomorrow will be crock pot chicken pot pie (stew) and biscuits. Never made it, total wing job.
[Reply]
scho63 08:52 PM 08-26-2017

Great learning moment. :-)

How do you grill them so they don't flare up and become burnt on the outside and raw on the inside? Those are big think pieces of marbleized steaks.

Do you sear them in a pan and then finish in oven?

I also never heard of those until now.

What kind of price per pound are those?

[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:27 PM 08-26-2017

Bet that's tastee, We call the it the lip, I guess then you cut it off as a large piece they call it cap. Like the piece of meat between the thigh and the back on a bird. yummee!
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:30 PM 08-26-2017
The rib cap is just the cap part of the rib eye. You know - the best part of the rib eye!
Are you even messing with sous vide on those? They look like they'd be plenty flavorful just giving them a high temp grilling from room temp to med rare.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:48 PM 08-26-2017
bone-in Strips(last of them thankfully)
Flat iron(yummy yummy)
Steamed Broccoli
Watermelon
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:38 AM 08-27-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Are you even messing with sous vide on those? They look like they'd be plenty flavorful just giving them a high temp grilling from room temp to med rare.

They're really thick, 2"+, so yeah, planning to sous vide them probably to rare and finish on the grill to medium rare. I don't sous vide to improve flavor; I do it to better control temperature if the final product. Giant hunks of meat like these are pretty difficult to grill perfectly, and at $20/pound, I really don't wanna fuck it up. :-)

Originally Posted by scho63:
Great learning moment. :-)

How do you grill them so they don't flare up and become burnt on the outside and raw on the inside? Those are big think pieces of marbleized steaks.

Do you sear them in a pan and then finish in oven?

I also never heard of those until now.

What kind of price per pound are those?

Like above, I'll sous vide. I'd never seen them till I got a Costco membership. These are prime, and $20/pound.

You could reverse sear them on indirect heat to about 120 degrees to control flare ups, then move to direct for the sear and finish. Or like you said, sear and finish in the oven.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:04 AM 08-27-2017
They're really thick, 2"+, so yeah, planning to sous vide them probably to rare and finish on the grill to medium rare. I don't sous vide to improve flavor; I do it to better control temperature if the final product. Giant hunks of meat like these are pretty difficult to grill perfectly, and at $20/pound, I really don't wanna fuck it up. :-)

Like above, I'll sous vide. I'd never seen them till I got a Costco membership. These are prime, and $20/pound.

You could reverse sear them on indirect heat to about 120 degrees to control flare ups, then move to direct for the sear and finish. Or like you said, sear and finish in the oven.
That probably more to how finicky you are about the definition of [med] rare.
I say medium rare, but if the meat is good enough, anything above room temperature is good enough for me. :-)
That's why I said room temp to grill. The grill is for the Malliard, and the time for the crust is unavoidable, and it's likely that whatever interior temp achieved in that time is sufficient, particularly with this meat.

For me, the even more than the precise temp control, sous vide is about the buttery texture for cheaper cuts over time.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:17 AM 08-27-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
That probably more to how finicky you are about the definition of [med] rare.

I say medium rare, but if the meat is good enough, anything above room temperature is good enough for me. :-)

That's why I said room temp to grill. The grill is for the Malliard, and the time for the crust is unavoidable, and it's likely that whatever interior temp achieved in that time is sufficient, particularly with this meat.

For me, the even more than the precise temp control, sous vide is about the buttery texture for cheaper cuts over time.

I'm good with rare beef on a prime cut like this, assuming we're not talking "blue," but the wife won't do rare. Sous vide really shines on the long cooks with cheap cuts, but equally useful for perfectly cooking large pieces of meat that would otherwise be pretty difficult to get perfect.

:-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:01 AM 08-27-2017
I'm good with rare beef on a prime cut like this, assuming we're not talking "blue," but the wife won't do rare. Sous vide really shines on the long cooks with cheap cuts, but equally useful for perfectly cooking large pieces of meat that would otherwise be pretty difficult to get perfect.

:-)
I'd still do the hot-as-hell cast iron pan with rosemary (sear the edges, then 3.25 minutes each side), then the 500-degree oven for 5 minutes.

And that's because I still don't have the Sous vide gear.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:05 AM 08-27-2017
Last night I had Chili Dogs with Toledo Tony Packo chili. They were good, but came back for a curtain call around 3am....
[Reply]
Page 606 of 1207
« First < 106506556596602603604605606 6076086096106166567061106 > Last »
Up