ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 116 of 163
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
SAUTO 03:53 PM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Any of use guys shoot a mossberg 935?
i own one, what do you need to know?
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:45 PM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
i own one, what do you need to know?
Aside from being available at Walmart? BOOOMMMMM!!!!
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:42 PM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by 58-4ever:
I'm a n00b hunter this year. Going out the weekend after Thanksgiving. Why were the Bucks you saw not "shooters"?
Mostly because I get sick satisfaction from disappointment. I know I can't get a big one if I shoot young bucks. I have done it enough years that I am going to shoot a meat doe or two and hold out for at least a 150. Just a personal challenge.

I had a 150-160 at 50yds today but a hot doe went the other way and it was over. That easy. Still cool to see though.

Any deer you take that makes you happy is a trophy. Contrary to all of the tv guys deer hunting isn't a pecker measuring contest. Enjoy your time in the woods the things you see and if you take a deer. Congratulations. It isn't an easy thing to do.

Ps. A lot of the video hunters are toolbags in real life.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 10:32 PM 11-03-2014
Shot this guy the other day..first deer with a bow..nothing big but I am happy with him being my first with a bow
Attached: 20141022_192526.jpg (84.9 KB) 20141022_193531.jpg (70.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 10:04 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by mac459:
Shot this guy the other day..first deer with a bow..nothing big but I am happy with him being my first with a bow
Awesome! Looks like a really solid deer. Im hoping to get my first bow buck this weekend!
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:54 PM 11-08-2014
In 2014, I've made an effort to make up for lost time last year. I've had a few evening and morning sits but no luck to date. Like always, I assume this can be the year if I'm patient and put in the time.

Thursday begins with an early morning sit in a new stand. I am joined by a neighbor's dog, that runs around the adjacent CRP field and runs off the first 3 bucks that arrive on the scene. The dog is not stuck to the ground right now due to the big blue eyes of the owner's daughters and how I know they like the dog. around noon, the landowner's 2 dogs make their first of 2 laps of the farm, barking and chasing off a couple of deer in the process. I'm loving dogs today. I want to rehome some strays and let them roam my own timber. I love dogs. I really, really love dogs. The remainder of the day provides 17 separate buck views, 5 close enough to spit on, 7 close enough to shoot, but I pass. The only one I wanted to shoot came in chasing a younger buck, and though he was at 15 yards, wouldn't come out from the tree that saved his life. The day ends with a sore back, but positive outlook on an exciting day in the field.

Friday, wind is howling from the south, I go to a new spot, and am perched along a river bottom at first light. Immediately I see 2 small bucks across the river on a neighbors farm, and not long after a 130ish young 10 point cruises along my drag line and presents himself for death....I provide a stay of execution until next year. At 8:07 I hear something 300 yards away, and the neighbor is driving along the field, smashing corn where he will begin making fence upwind from me....all deer blow out in 10 minutes....this spot is shot. I walk 3/4 mile with pack back to truck to move to a new spot....damn I'm out of shape this year.

I move to a new location on another property, the wind is really blowing. The tree will be shaking because it's pretty thin. I sit 4hrs before I see another deer. They begin to move, but are making no sense in their destination choices. I see 3 shooters cruising but the sonnabitches are 150 yards away...and are not able to hear my call in the wind. I'm cold....my back hurts, I feel like bitching right now, but I'm not because there is no one there to listen. I take the thermos from my pack and have a hot chocolate tea party and it warms me up and refreshes my resolve to sit. 3 more hours pass, and when I do see a deer, they're going the wrong way. Days like this are frustrating...almost as frustrating as not seeing anything.

45 minutes before dark, I see a nice buck at 300-400 yards moving down a ridge on an adjoining farm...he turns my general direction. I see him crown the hill, jump the fence into my field and then turn 45 degrees the wrong way following a draw. (bad words here). 20 minutes of shooting light, I hear a foot stomp the ground behind me...it's an odd spot in a thick ditch....and the wind is blowing my scent that way....a damn doe, I know....but as I slowly turn, i see a chocolate horn...it's fat. It's long and it has friends. I sit patiently, I pull out my bleat can call and turn it. he's interested. Our standoff ends as I see him start to walk into my field to my left.....he is going behind trees for 10 yards, and I stand and draw.....he steps into the field based on the crunches of hooves and then I see him. Walking, but quarter away.....the shot is open at 37 yards, I make a "blaah" call he hesitates and I let loose a G-5 Pink Breast cancer awareness fixed blade broadhead. I see the fur puff, blood spatter the buck hunch. He leaps around and goes 60-70 yards where he wobbles, lays down and expires in my sight. he's not huge, but it's a large 250lb 5 1/2 year old, big, heavy chocolate rack 8 point. I'm pretty happy. The end.

Iowanian is carrying 200lbs of meat back to the wagon.
[Reply]
booger 10:09 PM 11-08-2014
Congrats man! That's what it's all about.
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:55 PM 11-09-2014
I wasn't going to but decided to post my deer to keep it real. I have shared victory and defeat so I should share. This is no monster, it isn't going to put an impressive score on the board but it is a 5 1/2 year old mature buck with great mass. I am still most proud of the 37yard shot I put on him.

I took my 4 yr old to the field for man class yesterday. I let him climb into a ladder stand(with my help) talked with him about bow hunting basics. We looked at the spot I shot the deer and I had him help me find the arrow and practiced following a blood trail. We talked about tracks and scrapes and this morning I heard him telling some neighbor kids which way a deer had been walking by tHe track. That's the good stuff.

So here he is for your vowing pleasure.
Attached: image.jpg (80.6 KB) 
[Reply]
stonedstooge 04:20 PM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I wasn't going to but decided to post my deer to keep it real. I have shared victory and defeat so I should share. This is no monster, it isn't going to put an impressive score on the board but it is a 5 1/2 year old mature buck with great mass. I am still most proud of the 37yard shot I put on him.

I took my 4 yr old to the field for man class yesterday. I let him climb into a ladder stand(with my help) talked with him about bow hunting basics. We looked at the spot I shot the deer and I had him help me find the arrow and practiced following a blood trail. We talked about tracks and scrapes and this morning I heard him telling some neighbor kids which way a deer had been walking by tHe track. That's the good stuff.

Very nice deer my man. Was there a ufo landing off to your side when the picture was taken?
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 04:29 PM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by Iowanian:

Very nice mature buck. Even better story to remember with your kid!
[Reply]
Jerm 07:43 PM 11-09-2014
Weather for opening morning of rifle season Saturday might be interesting lol....
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 07:49 PM 11-09-2014
u missourians and your early ass rifle season
[Reply]
stumppy 07:49 PM 11-09-2014
Nice hunt.
[Reply]
ghak99 08:10 PM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58:
u missourians and your early ass rifle season
There are quite a few of us who despise its timing.
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:25 PM 11-10-2014
People should almost feel guilty hunting bucks during the rutt with Rifles.

Probably sit in heated blinds, sipping coffee and listening to surround sound itunes.

I'll be back in a tree trying to fill my landowner bow tag with 1 of 2 targeted bucks that dwarf the micro-bambi I posted above.

Either way, roads are safer and jerky is nature's bacon. Happy hunting neighbors.
[Reply]
Page 116 of 163
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126 > Last »
Up