ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 205 of 268
« First < 105155195201202203204205 206207208209215255 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode VIII SPOILERS thread
DaneMcCloud 03:28 PM 01-20-2016
For all things Episode VIII related info including spoilers.

The release date is now December 15, 2017.

The Official Synopsis from Star Wars.com

“In Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in U.S. theaters on December 15, 2017.”

New footage in Japanese Trailer

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:31 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I saw someone say "well this will be liberating for Abrams because now people will go into Episode 9 with the understanding that their expectations are irrelevant...
As I mentioned earlier, Abrams will just follow the Return of the Jedi mold, probably beat for beat.

Rey's true lineage will be revealed, Ren will be killed or redeemed (he shouldn't be redeemed, IMO but Vader was redeemed, so I guess it's not off the table), Finn & Rose fall in love, blah, blah, blah.

There's no mystery, save for Rey's parents and at this point, I don't give a fuck if she's the granddaughter of Assage Ventress and Count Dooku, she's a boring character and definitely a Mary Sue.

Blech.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:03 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
As I mentioned earlier, Abrams will just follow the Return of the Jedi mold, probably beat for beat.
What? That's literally impossible now.

I already know what's going to happen....the First Order is going to turn on Kylo, he will be alone and devastated, and Rey is going to save his ass.

And then together, they will take down the First Order.

There's actually an amazingly insightful analysis of TFA and TLJ and how it's a play on the Anakin-Padme romance and a re-working of an old literary trope...and quite magnificently done at that.

Kylo Ren, Rey and the Usurper/Holy Mother

Originally Posted by :
This is the Usurper and Holy Mother motif at its most basic, although in its current iteration this list contains some additional elements, most notably:

The Usurper is young, male and handsome. He is sensitive, emotive, and caring. He also possesses an apparent internal weakness of some sort.

The Usurper lacks a mother figure in his life due to her death or childhood separation. Without her guidance he becomes emotionally unbalanced, easily swayed by outside influences.

The Usurper also lacks a father, to varying degrees.

The Usurper is corrupted by an older male influence around/just past adolescence due to this lack of female guidance.

Once corrupted the older man turns the Usurper into a Dog of War.

If the Holy Mother has abandoned him, the Usurper spirals into nihilism.

The Queen/Holy Mother has also become much more codified than she was before. In the current iteration of the trope she is:

Externally feminine to contrast the Usurper’s masculine appearance.

In possession of a vast deal of internal power with a strong sense of self.

Driven by creation and protective of those that are weaker than herself.

Devoted to a higher cause or an authority figure who outranks the Usurper.
Both Kylo Ren/Rey and Anakin/Padme follow these motifs,
There's SO much sexual symbolism in TLJ it's insane. Rian is a master filmmaker.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:57 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
What? That's literally impossible now.

I already know what's going to happen
Abrams isn't known for his originality so I'm guessing it'll just harken back to Return of the Jedi.

A small band of Rebels, led by Poe Dameron, will do something to weaken or destroy The First Order once and for all, while Rey will hunt down to confront and ultimately kill Kylo Ren, restoring peace to the galaxy

They'll throw in a little Finn, Rose and Chewie and bam! There's your movie.
That's what's going to happen
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:33 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Any updates?
Sure

18 days in

TFA: 750,230,824
TLJ: 531,512,829

The domestic earnings gap is now just under $219m

Foreign gross doesn't get broken down the same way, but

TFA total: $1.13b
TLJ to date: $523m (film doesn't open in China until the 5th)

Looking at the current numbers and trends, the movie is still on pace to gross hundreds of millions less domestically, and hundreds of millions less outside the country.

First 4 days of week 3, domestic:

TFA: $98,263,555
TLJ: $66,813,601

From this point forward, TFA brought in just under another $185m domestically. TLJ had better have really strong legs, or this is going to be a $500m+ drop.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 11:57 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Sure

18 days in

TFA: 750,230,824
TLJ: 531,512,829

The domestic earnings gap is now just under $219m

Foreign gross doesn't get broken down the same way, but

TFA total: $1.13b
TLJ to date: $523m (film doesn't open in China until the 5th)

Looking at the current numbers and trends, the movie is still on pace to gross hundreds of millions less domestically, and hundreds of millions less outside the country.

First 4 days of week 3, domestic:

TFA: $98,263,555
TLJ: $66,813,601

From this point forward, TFA brought in just under another $185m domestically. TLJ had better have really strong legs, or this is going to be a $500m+ drop.
Praise be to JPB fuck this movie I hope it has a gigantic drop and effects the SOLO box office.
[Reply]
temper11 12:28 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I saw someone say "well this will be liberating for Abrams because now people will go into Episode 9 with the understanding that their expectations are irrelevant...."

Well, no. See, I'm just....not gonna go into Episode 9. Because 7 and 8 didn't exactly make me give a large rat's ass about Finn or Rey. And Poe is just fun as hell but if he gets blown up, it's not like there's been a chance to really develop emotional resonance there.

Ultimately I'm not sure I have any kind of give a damn about any of these characters at this point. So sure, I'm going to be less beholden to my own expectations but only because I don't really give a damn what happens in this universe at this point. It's just another movie now.

Congrats, Rian. You've created another sci-fi universe that I don't really care about. Might as well call it Avatar 2 or The Sixth Element. I'm not gonna go rallying up family members and buying reserved seats and all that shit again.

I'll just wait for an HBO free preview weekend in about 36 months and see if my then 7 year old has any interest in watching it.
I don't know of a single person in real life that didn't like this movie. Not one. No one in my family, none of my friends, no one in my office, no one. Only people here and other on line sites. It's odd. I'd have expected to find someone by now based on the divide online.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 12:57 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by temper11:
I don't know of a single person in real life that didn't like this movie. Not one. No one in my family, none of my friends, no one in my office, no one. Only people here and other on line sites. It's odd. I'd have expected to find someone by now based on the divide online.
I know people who love it, like it, and hate it. The people who hate it seem to have some common dislikes as well as specific things. It’s a polarizing film that maybe works better on its own than as a continuation of an existing story.

I don’t wake up wanting it to do bad and I don’t need others to affirm my issues with it (though enough people have voiced the same complaints that I know it’s not just me).

Hopefully Solo and Episode IX are better.
[Reply]
NewChief 06:35 AM 01-03-2018
Finally saw it yesterday.

Let me start off by saying: I think the "magic" of Star Wars is just about played out for me. It has nothing to do with social justice warrior messaging. It has nothing to do with poor actors. It has nothing to do with poor writing and directing. It's not gaping plot holes. It's just... overexposure I guess. From the opening scene of this movie and opening lines, it just felt sort of childish.

All that being said, by about 20 minutes into the movie, I'd settled into the story and was enjoying it pretty well. I can definitely see how a second watching of this movie would help, because once I settled into the tone of the movie, I began to enjoy it.

Maybe that's the overarching problem of these movies. Each director has set a different tone, and it takes a while to figure out if the movie is going to be dark (Empire), light (prequels), dark (Rogue One), mixture (Last Jedi). That's a vast oversimplification of the different tones, but each one has been a bit different due to the different directors and writers. This one has quite a few too many lame one-liners that were going for cheap laughs (Leia saying "You like what you did with my hair?" and a bunch of others, that one just springs to mind).

What I don't get is the cries of SJW messaging throughout the movie. So people make money off war and the wealthy profit while exploiting the underclass? I guess Iron Man (and a jillion other movies that point to this fact) all are SJW ridden as well? Their are WOMEN leading the rebellion? OMG!! The one woman was also a total cunt who was unlikeable as hell. This online "rightwashing" backlash against anything that's remotely perceived as hostile to conservative ideas is bothersome. However, I suppose it's what the Left gets for the absurd mental gymnastics around identity politics that they've been playing in their ivory towers and academic cultural essays for the last decade.

Anyway, overall, I enjoyed the movie, but I think that the magic of Star Wars that requires me to obsess over the universe is over. Maybe I've just outgrown it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:18 AM 01-03-2018

Rey's true lineage will be revealed, Ren will be killed or redeemed (he shouldn't be redeemed, IMO but Vader was redeemed, so I guess it's not off the table), Finn & Rose fall in love, blah, blah, blah.

There's no mystery, save for Rey's parents and at this point, I don't give a fuck if she's the granddaughter of Assage Ventress and Count Dooku, she's a boring character and definitely a Mary Sue.

Blech.
Yep, sounds like a Disney ending.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 09:24 AM 01-03-2018
Watched this again online.

Still cant believe the crap they pulled in this movie.

Its like they said, "screw any previous character, and/or any sub plot, aaaaaand fart noise."
[Reply]
Gravedigger 10:53 AM 01-03-2018

There's no mystery, save for Rey's parents and at this point, I don't give a **** if she's the granddaughter of Assage Ventress and Count Dooku, she's a boring character and definitely a Mary Sue.

Blech.
FINN AND ROSE'S LOVE IS REAL!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:19 AM 01-03-2018
Almost to 1.1 billion.

The countdown to 1.5 begins. :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:20 AM 01-03-2018
That's what's going to happen
Rey will absolutely not kill Kylo Ren.

But she will save him, despite protests from her buddies.

Hux will seize power with a coup.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:01 PM 01-03-2018

Hux: “Hey, can I use your phone?”

Kylo: “Yeah.. hold on for a minute” pic.twitter.com/t4KzHzxcOB

— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) January 3, 2018

[Reply]
Rausch 12:14 PM 01-03-2018
Say what you want but this film has now achieved the largest EVER drop from week 1 to week 2.

Over $100 million.

This last week a STAR WARS film was only keeping barely above (under 3 million over) Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle...
[Reply]
Page 205 of 268
« First < 105155195201202203204205 206207208209215255 > Last »
Up