ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3308 of 3903
« First < 2308280832083258329833043305330633073308 33093310331133123318335834083808 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rain Man 12:59 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I know nothing really, but I have to imagine it's mostly the first one. I'd wonder if you could theoretically do even more doses and have it eventually create enough of an immune response to work, but that would be a lot of resources put toward 5% of people when herd immunity should theoretically do the trick eventually.
I've always implicitly assumed that was the cause, but I'm really curious why. If so, is there some way to predict it? It seems like the only way you'd know if you're unlucky is that you get the virus. I guess that would be true if it was a process or manufacturing error, too.

Wait, though. You could get a followup test to see if you've got antibodies, right? Not saying that's a practical thing to do for every American, but it's technically a way to do it, I would think.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:59 PM 12-15-2020
Good to see that perceptions of being vaccinated ticking up. If we can actually get 80% of people to do it, we should be in good shape.

BREAKING: More than eight in 10 Americans say they would receive the coronavirus vaccine, with 40% saying they would take it as soon as it’s available to them and 44% saying they would wait a bit before getting it, according to new @ABC News/Ipsos poll. https://t.co/8suNRYdfcl

— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) December 14, 2020

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:00 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I know nothing about this stuff, but it makes me curious. Of the people for whom the vaccination doesn't work, is it a genetic thing with them? Will it never work due to some reason that's biological?

Or is it that for some reason the injection didn't get administered properly (e.g., missed the vein or something), and a second injection will work?

Or could it be something else, like they got a vaccine that got left out of storage five minutes too long?
A and C are possible. B is not as it is an IM vaccine.

mRNA is a very fragile molecule, which is one of the reasons why you need such cold temperatures.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:09 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
A and C are possible. B is not as it is an IM vaccine.

mRNA is a very fragile molecule, which is one of the reasons why you need such cold temperatures.
What do you think is most likely or common? I'm not saying it's necessary if we have a high overall vaccination rate, but could an individual theoretically get tested afterwards and re-vaxx if his/her vaccine didn't take?
[Reply]
jdubya 01:47 PM 12-15-2020
Did I read or hear correctly that the Moderna vax is also possibly effective with patients actively fighting covid?

On another note my son (28) works for a small family owned company. The husband and wife (owners) last wednesday came down with fever/cough/nausea/aches and pains. My son beginning Sunday came down with the same. Today he said all the symptoms are gone except the dry cough. Owners are getting tested today and my son getting tested tomorrow. So far everybody just mildly sick. I had dinner with my son at our house last Monday, 6 days before his symptoms so I think I`ll be fine regardless.
[Reply]
tooge 02:14 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Apparently there is a new mutation of Covid that was discovered in southern England. I'm not too concerned about the effect on the vaccine, but wonder if it mutated (again) to be less severe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...4v7?li=BBnb7Kz
From my understanding of virus mutations, the more a virus mutates, the more attenuated it becomes generally. This is because less severe strains of a virus from a symptom standpoint will be more apt to be spread as people won't be as inclined to stay home and isolate. More severe cases from a symptom standpoint will be more likely to isolate and therefor less likely to spread. Over time, the attenuated form will outcompete the non attenuated form for hosts, assuming of course, that antibodies for one protect from the other.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 02:23 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
14 out of 14,134

Note that that figure is just after the first dose, which is why they will be doing two doses.

[Reply]
stevieray 02:41 PM 12-15-2020
I know nothing about this stuff, but it makes me curious. Of the people for whom the vaccination doesn't work, is it a genetic thing with them? Will it never work due to some reason that's biological?

Or is it that for some reason the injection didn't get administered properly (e.g., missed the vein or something), and a second injection will work?

Or could it be something else, like they got a vaccine that got left out of storage five minutes too long?
you're putting chemicals in your body they effect everyone differently. see alcohol.
[Reply]
TLO 03:07 PM 12-15-2020
Why does the Pfizer vaccine have to be stored at incredibly cold temperatures while the Moderna can basically be put in the fridge? This has probably been discussed before but I'm curious.
[Reply]
O.city 03:19 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Why does the Pfizer vaccine have to be stored at incredibly cold temperatures while the Moderna can basically be put in the fridge? This has probably been discussed before but I'm curious.
IIRC, it's the lipid coat that allows the mRNA to transport that has to be kept that cold so not to degrade.
[Reply]
TLO 03:34 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
IIRC, it's the lipid coat that allows the mRNA to transport that has to be kept that cold so not to degrade.
Here's an interesting article I found if anyone else is/was curious. The article is super long so I'm just going to post the link to it.

Here’s why COVID-19 vaccines like Pfizer’s need to be kept so cold

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sci...er-moderna/amp
[Reply]
TLO 03:50 PM 12-15-2020
On a personal note, I'm a bit annoyed with my companies response to the vaccine rollout. Nobody at our local branch has any clue as to what is going on. (Not particularly surprising as they have to await orders from corporate to do much of anything.) I'm not blaming them.

I actually got in contact with our corporate office last week and asked them what the companies plan was. I ended up on a big email chain with some of the big wigs in my organization, which was kinda neat. They confirmed for me that we fall within the 1a category, however beyond that they seemed to have no information. Not that they were willing to share with me anyway.

I understand there are a lot of moving parts in play here but having a plan in place seems like a good idea.
[Reply]
Donger 04:01 PM 12-15-2020
I presume they let the Pfizer vaccine get to room/ambient temperature or close to it before injection. I wonder how long it "lasts" at said temperature.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 04:03 PM 12-15-2020
I can't remember the specifics of it but I read an article that Pfizer is working on it for 2022. Something like putting a shell around the mRNA I think. Also, it's possible they don't need this extreme of cold. They have to test and see how long it lasts. I think this is just where they were sure it'd work to start.

Moderna had the same kind of recommendations until the Nov. announcement.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:06 PM 12-15-2020
What do you think is most likely or common? I'm not saying it's necessary if we have a high overall vaccination rate, but could an individual theoretically get tested afterwards and re-vaxx if his/her vaccine didn't take?
As you know, whenever we perform mass vaccination we generally rely on the underlying efficacy of the vaccine to suppress viral transmission through herd immunity instead of checking for effectiveness of the individual dose.

When they were approximating the immunogenicity of the vaccine, they compared it against a mean serum antibody concentration from the plasma of patients previously infected with COVID. While that is an interesting surrogate marker, we don't know if that actually proves anything clinically. I suppose that it's possible that you could give someone a booster if their antibody concentration was two SD below normal (just offering a rough example), but to truly know if that was effective you would need serial blood draws of the entire vaccinated population which could then be compared against future confirmed COVID infections. From there, an analysis of antibody levels might be instructive if you could establish that patients below X were more likely to contract COVID even after vaccination. This is all purely theoretical, and unfortunately medicine is rarely as linear as we would like.
[Reply]
Page 3308 of 3903
« First < 2308280832083258329833043305330633073308 33093310331133123318335834083808 > Last »
Up