ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 38
« First < 263233343536 3738 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones threatens to Hold Out
Dante84 07:59 PM 06-30-2020
Well shit.

Or I won’t play. @LeVeonBell told me about this

— Chris Jones (@StoneColdJones) July 1, 2020

UPDATE 7/12/20: Things are looking good!

I'm not saying this means anything, but I'm also not here to tell @RealMNchiefsfan he can't choose to believe. pic.twitter.com/I93PzdsUNm

— Joshua Brisco (@jbbrisco) July 12, 2020

UPDATE 7/14: Looks Done!

Breaking: #Chiefs and DT Chris Jones have reached agreement on a contract extension, per @mortreport.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) July 14, 2020

BigRedChief 12:45 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
It speaks to the maturity issue. There’s more to this than venting/whining through social media. The playoff injury controversy and how it happened seems to sound more real now.

I love the player and the energy he brings, but I think Jones may not be the “team player” the Chiefs can trust with a huge contract. This passive aggressive stance on Twitter is not likely endearing him to Reid/Veach.
He should just delete that post. It’s that epically a bad move on his part.
dlphg9 01:00 AM 07-14-2020
Good fucking lord some of you are just completely god damn retarded. Jones takes plays off? Please show some evidence of this or go kill yourselves. This site has so many retarded fucks with some irrational hate for CJ.
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01:49 AM 07-14-2020
Fun fact: Last season guess who was our number one run defender according to PFF?? That’s right Big Dick Chris Jones!!!!
DTVietnam 05:33 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Fun fact: Last season guess who was our number one run defender according to PFF?? That’s right Big Dick Chris Jones!!!!
fun fact PFF is the worst publication in all of football..

creating stats that give players on all 32 NFL teams some sort of recognition so the clickbait and sharinf reaches all fanbases. . . .

but.....my eyes showed me CJ is a good run stopper. .

especially that 1st and 10 towards the end of the superbowl. . stropped for a 1 yrd gain and put the pressure on Jimmy to make a throw and earn all that god damned money
Brooklyn 07:30 AM 07-14-2020
COVID makes this a really unique situation. What happens to player contracts if the season is cancelled? Do the years till? Do they not get paid at all, or do they still get paid whatever was in their guaranteed contract year?

If Jones’ plan is to sit out and not play on the tag, but then there is no season, he’s right back at the same place this time next year...at best. So no income this year, then having to commit to no income next year as he sits out the tag again potentially, and then maybe finally for the 2022 season he can get a new contract after having been off the field for 36ish months.

I’m not sure how this plays out, but I’d be “securing the bag” now however I could. Even playing on the tag isn’t a great option if the season is cancelled. Puts him more than two years away from financial peace of mind. If he can get anything north of $55M guaranteed, I’d likely take that deal regardless of how the years are structured (within reason). You hope that he gets another 50ish non guaranteed that he actually lives to see because he stays healthy and continues being a key piece on the dynasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ's left nut 07:46 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Brooklyn:
COVID makes this a really unique situation. What happens to player contracts if the season is cancelled? Do the years till? Do they not get paid at all, or do they still get paid whatever was in their guaranteed contract year?

If Jones’ plan is to sit out and not play on the tag, but then there is no season, he’s right back at the same place this time next year...at best. So no income this year, then having to commit to no income next year as he sits out the tag again potentially, and then maybe finally for the 2022 season he can get a new contract after having been off the field for 36ish months.

I’m not sure how this plays out, but I’d be “securing the bag” now however I could. Even playing on the tag isn’t a great option if the season is cancelled. Puts him more than two years away from financial peace of mind. If he can get anything north of $55M guaranteed, I’d likely take that deal regardless of how the years are structured (within reason). You hope that he gets another 50ish non guaranteed that he actually lives to see because he stays healthy and continues being a key piece on the dynasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If its anything like hockey, things like roster bonuses and signing bonuses will be paid in the event of a stoppage but salary wouldn't be.

So if Jones refuses to sign his tender, he won't get anything. Meanwhile, if he signs long-term and gets a $30 million signing bonus and 'salary' in the form of roster bonuses, he'll get that $30 million as soon as he signs and the roster bonus on the day it triggers.

COVID makes this a damn risky gamble for him but ultimately I think it is probably a risk worth taking (well, presuming ANY of the risks he's taking are worth taking). The NFL WILL try to play. It's gonna have at least a partial season, even if it ultimately has to shut it down.

Then it will be up to the league and the players how to handle contract length, service time and things of that nature. They haven't crossed that bridge just yet.
DJ's left nut 07:58 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That would be an absolutely awful idea from the player's standpoint.

Chris Jones is 25 years old and is without a doubt, the best defensive player available this offseason, whether it's to the Chiefs or via trade. Every NFL player dreams of their second contract because it provides a lifetime (or more) of financial stability.

If he were take a under-market contract for 2 years, then hit free agency, he would be giving up millions, if not tens of millions, of guaranteed money.

And if he were to be injured, any possibility of a huge payday, which he has definitely earned to the point, would be gone.
And frankly, the Chiefs are unlikely to be terribly interested as well.

A 2 year deal truncates all the cap figures and puts them in a tight spot both years. It allows for less cap manipulation and puts all the risk on the Chiefs at that point.

The Chiefs have Jones on the tag for effectively $38 million over the next 2 seasons. And with the tag, they're protected if the league doesn't play any/all of the next season OR if Jones gets immediately injured and isn't going to be at 100% for chunks of this season or next. If the league doesn't go forward, they are almost certainly off the hook for his weekly pro-rated salary in weeks there is no league play. And if the league does go forward and gets hurt, they just don't tag him in 2021 and they're not tied to him for an ineffective/lost season.

There's just way too much risk to the Chiefs in that scenario with little to be gained in long-term upside.

It's probably not a good decision for either side, really. Though given the COVID backdrop, if I'm Jones and can get a 2 year, $38 million deal that has a $15 million signing bonus plus a $4 million roster bonus this season plus a $1 million base salary to go with a $10 million roster bonus next season and an $8 million guaranteed salary, I'd probably take it.

That puts $19 million in my pocket immediately so if the season does/does not get played, I'm still rich. Then the $8 million guaranteed salary next season creates a substantial dead hit if the Chiefs elected to move on, so that would make them less likely to cut him to avoid the $10 million roster bonus. At that point its extremely likely that his $18 million for 2021, while not fully guaranteed, will still be paid. And the $10 million roster bonus would again come in a single chunk and be paid with/without a full season.

Then if things go well, his contract and cap hit (roughly $25 million next season) would put him in a very nice negotiating position to be able to convert the remainder of that $8 million salary into a signing bonus and tag a couple of extra seasons onto the deal to get him to that 4 year contract he really wanted to begin with.

If they don't go well, he's still banked nearly $40 million and even if they go catastrophically poorly (to the point the Chiefs eat the $8 million to avoid the roster bonus) he's still banked $28 million.

There's a structure that could be utilized here to make it palatable for Jones, IMO, IF he the Chiefs are even willing to do it.
PAChiefsGuy 08:01 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Good ****ing lord some of you are just completely god damn retarded. Jones takes plays off? Please show some evidence of this or go kill yourselves. This site has so many retarded ****s with some irrational hate for CJ.
I don't think anyone here has an irrational hate for him anymore than the Chiefs and Veach do. Everyone here acknowledges he is good but I don't think he is worth the numbers he wants. Chiefs seem to agree, otherwise a contract would have already been done by now I'm sure.

Bottom line is when you ask for the type of contract numbers that CJ is asking for and bitching about it on Twitter of all places you open yourself up to criticism about every little part of your game and that's exactly what is happening. Although I like CJ I just don't think it's in Chiefs best interests paying all that money to him. I'd rather Chiefs spend it on someone else. DL was pretty good without him against Titans and Texans.
tredadda 08:03 AM 07-14-2020
Anyone who thinks that Jones shouldn’t stand firm on his demands is foolish. He has every right to expect to be one of the highest paid players in the league at his position. He has earned that through his play. He also played like a beast on his old contract and after his 15.5 sack season the team rewarded him with the franchise tag. Instead of holding out he signed it and was a consummate professional last year. Now the team wants to franchise him again and he is saying no. Would he be set for life if he made $19 million a year versus $20-$21 million? Sure but he has every right to demand that he be paid what he’s worth and if KC is unwilling/unable to do that then they should trade him to a team that is.
DJ's left nut 08:06 AM 07-14-2020
Good fucking lord some of you are just completely god damn retarded. Jones takes plays off? Please show some evidence of this or go kill yourselves. This site has so many retarded fucks with some irrational hate for CJ.
All lineman take plays off. If that statement offends you, you're not paying attention.

Even Donald will noticeably cruise on an early down play here and there. It's the nature of the beast when you're a 300 lb man trying to move other 300 lb men out of your way.

Granted, everything is relative when you're talking about NFL contracts, but you made an absolute statement. Yes, Chris Jones takes plays off. And because he's a tall guy, his plays off become more noticeable because it's easier to get under his pads and completely remove him from a play whereas someone like Donald can cruise through a play, still maintain a low pad level and remain fairly under the radar.
PAChiefsGuy 08:12 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Anyone who thinks that Jones shouldn’t stand firm on his demands is foolish. He has every right to expect to be one of the highest paid players in the league at his position. He has earned that through his play. He also played like a beast on his old contract and after his 15.5 sack season the team rewarded him with the franchise tag. Instead of holding out he signed it and was a consummate professional last year. Now the team wants to franchise him again and he is saying no. Would he be set for life if he made $19 million a year versus $20-$21 million? Sure but he has every right to demand that he be paid what he’s worth and if KC is unwilling/unable to do that then they should trade him to a team that is.
And the Chiefs shouldn't pay him a dime more than they think he is worth. Lets not forget all the contracts the Chiefs, and frankly every NFL team, have been burned on in the past after a guy signs a large contract.
Chief3188 08:14 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by tredadda:
He didn’t get the franchise tag last year. He just wanted a deal better than his rookie one a year early. This is the first franchise tag they have used on him.
OKchiefs 08:24 AM 07-14-2020
Good ****ing lord some of you are just completely god damn retarded. Jones takes plays off? Please show some evidence of this or go kill yourselves. This site has so many retarded ****s with some irrational hate for CJ.
You sound like you're 12
AJKCFAN 09:46 AM 07-14-2020
(Can’t Embed from here)

The Gunslingiest twitter feed (he’s the one who broke the news of the Sammy Watkins signing for the exact years and amount) just posted

“Chris Jones!!“

Speculate what you will...
TomBarndtsTwin 09:47 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by AJKCFAN:
(Can’t Embed from here)

The Gunslingiest twitter feed (he’s the one who broke the news of the Sammy Watkins signing for the exact years and amount) just posted

“Chris Jones!!“

Speculate what you will...
:-)
Page 36 of 38
« First < 263233343536 3738 >
Up