ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 35 of 38
« First < 253132333435 363738 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones threatens to Hold Out
Dante84 07:59 PM 06-30-2020
Well shit.

Or I won’t play. @LeVeonBell told me about this

— Chris Jones (@StoneColdJones) July 1, 2020

UPDATE 7/12/20: Things are looking good!

I'm not saying this means anything, but I'm also not here to tell @RealMNchiefsfan he can't choose to believe. pic.twitter.com/I93PzdsUNm

— Joshua Brisco (@jbbrisco) July 12, 2020

UPDATE 7/14: Looks Done!

Breaking: #Chiefs and DT Chris Jones have reached agreement on a contract extension, per @mortreport.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) July 14, 2020

Chief Northman 06:47 PM 07-13-2020
Here’s my thing with Jones - he can absolutely dominate and take over games and is arguably the best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. But there is no doubt that he’s not always a willing run support guy, and he freelances a bit within the scheme. And I know some of the Kool-Aid drinkers will come in screaming, but it is very noticeable that Jones still takes a lot of plays off.

I think he is a top shelf talent when motivated, but I can see where the Chiefs might be a bit gunshy in opening up the bank to a guy who picks and chooses when he wants to play.
DaneMcCloud 06:52 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Mahomes ain’t pushing shit what ever they decide to do Mahomes has no input whatsoever
Patrick Mahomes is the most powerful football player in NFL history.

The man made a video to which the Commissioner of the sport felt compelled to respond in less than 24 hours.

You're wrong to think that Mahomes doesn't have any input in their decision making, especially considering the way his new contract is structured, giving him multiple outs and severe financial consequences for releasing him.
DaneMcCloud 06:55 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
I think he is a top shelf talent when motivated, but I can see where the Chiefs might be a bit gunshy in opening up the bank to a guy who picks and chooses when he wants to play.
So, if he didn't "choose when to play", he'd have more than 24 sacks and an INT for a TD in the past few years?

He'd have even more passes knocked down and defended?

The Chiefs would have even more Super Bowl victories?
R Clark 06:57 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Patrick Mahomes is the most powerful football player in NFL history.

The man made a video to which the Commissioner of the sport felt compelled to respond in less than 24 hours.

You're wrong to think that Mahomes doesn't have any input in their decision making, especially considering the way his new contract is structured, giving him multiple outs and severe financial consequences for releasing him.
No doubt he has some pull but he ain’t calling the shots on the salary cap
RealSNR 07:20 PM 07-13-2020
I'm kind of shocked Jones wouldn't take a simple 2-year deal at the average salary amounts he wants. Something that would be an upgrade over what he's making on the tag this year and at least take care of him in the short term so he can focus on attempting to give KC a hat trick of Super Bowls. After that contract, he would still be young enough to get a very nice extension with us or go somewhere else for more money
BryanBusby 07:53 PM 07-13-2020
Why would he? Either the Chiefs are someone else are going to give him a big deal.

Chris Jones has every right to ask for every dollar and the Chiefs have every right to seek a team friendly deal.

If it doesn't work out well then that's the cost of having an elite QB. Wish him the best and that we get a good trade haul back.

If he's back well hey neat. The Chiefs won the SB. My give a fuck is at an all time low.
DaneMcCloud 08:48 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
No doubt he has some pull but he ain’t calling the shots on the salary cap
Uh, you're wrong again.

Mahomes gave up considerable leverage in order for the Chiefs to create a dynasty (his words), so you can damn sure bet that he has far more power than any player in the league and will most certainly have input when it comes to re-signing and extending players along with free agent acquisitions.

And if the Chiefs don't spend to continually provide a championship caliber team?

Mahomes walks.
DaneMcCloud 08:54 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I'm kind of shocked Jones wouldn't take a simple 2-year deal at the average salary amounts he wants. Something that would be an upgrade over what he's making on the tag this year and at least take care of him in the short term so he can focus on attempting to give KC a hat trick of Super Bowls. After that contract, he would still be young enough to get a very nice extension with us or go somewhere else for more money
That would be an absolutely awful idea from the player's standpoint.

Chris Jones is 25 years old and is without a doubt, the best defensive player available this offseason, whether it's to the Chiefs or via trade. Every NFL player dreams of their second contract because it provides a lifetime (or more) of financial stability.

If he were take a under-market contract for 2 years, then hit free agency, he would be giving up millions, if not tens of millions, of guaranteed money.

And if he were to be injured, any possibility of a huge payday, which he has definitely earned to the point, would be gone.
Pasta Little Brioni 09:26 PM 07-13-2020
So much for the vibes tweet meaning anything :-) :-)
chiefforlife 10:35 PM 07-13-2020
I think Pat was willing to take the team friendly deal that he did so the team could continue to sign other great players.

I would imagine he feels Chris Jones is one of those players. I feel like signing Patrick to that deal had something to do with keeping Chris Jones.

The difference between ALMOST making the Super Bowl and winning one was Defense!

Patrick knows that, Andy knows that and Brett knows that.

If Chris Jones is willing to work with them a little, he stays.

Come on Chris, make lots of money but make it work for the team!

MANY MORE CHAMPIONSHIPS TO BE WON!!
Chief Pagan 10:44 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Here’s my thing with Jones - he can absolutely dominate and take over games and is arguably the best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. But there is no doubt that he’s not always a willing run support guy, and he freelances a bit within the scheme. And I know some of the Kool-Aid drinkers will come in screaming, but it is very noticeable that Jones still takes a lot of plays off.

For that sort of money, you expect a player to bring it all the time.

But if takes some plays off but then takes over every post season game?

But yeah, as GM it's a tough decision to lock up that sort of money. I was expecting a trade before the draft.
New World Order 10:52 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
For that sort of money, you expect a player to bring it all the time.

But if takes some plays off but then takes over every post season game?

But yeah, as GM it's a tough decision to lock up that sort of money. I was expecting a trade before the draft.
He made so many huge plays in the SB. He was one of the reasons why Breeland picked Jimmy G off, then knocking the ball down over and over in crucial 4th quarter situations.

Pay the man.
Chief Northman 11:20 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
So, if he didn't "choose when to play", he'd have more than 24 sacks and an INT for a TD in the past few years?

He'd have even more passes knocked down and defended?

The Chiefs would have even more Super Bowl victories?
Maybe.

Maybe he would play more snaps?
Veach likely has a number he is not willing to go over given the complexities of the cap/roster and some uncertainty moving forward. Spags was always a guy who liked top end talent along the D-line. Daly comes from a system that doesn’t necessarily put a premium on elite D-line talent across the board. We will never know, but the front office in consultation with coaches will have a very clear cost/benefit regarding Jones.

I think he plays on the tag this year eventually - maybe he holds out and stays homes and pouts a while like his buddy Leveon.
BigRedChief 12:11 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
WTF is this BS? This is such superficial posturing that no one is going to take it seriously. It just makes you look bad.

You have a legitimate beef that you should be making more money. Don’t equate some team not wanting to give you that pile of money with not giving you the proper respect. It’s business.
Chief Northman 12:32 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
WTF is this BS? This is such superficial posturing that no one is going to take it seriously. It just makes you look bad.

You have a legitimate beef that you should be making more money. Don’t equate some team not wanting to give you that pile of money with not giving you the proper respect. It’s business.
It speaks to the maturity issue. There’s more to this than venting/whining through social media. The playoff injury controversy and how it happened seems to sound more real now.

I love the player and the energy he brings, but I think Jones may not be the “team player” the Chiefs can trust with a huge contract. This passive aggressive stance on Twitter is not likely endearing him to Reid/Veach.
Page 35 of 38
« First < 253132333435 363738 >
Up