ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Have your priorities changed at all?
Chargem 03:47 PM 01-14-2020
I think we hit a point in the season where we all clearly felt that OL and LB were huge needs to be addressed in the off season.

This was probably before the 7 game winning streak, where both the OL and the defense in general has played much better.

So my question is, has this changed your priorities for the Chiefs this off season/draft?

My gut feeling now is that the Chiefs will have a lot more flexibility in the draft to just add quality players, rather than being too restricted by specific needs.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:44 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
My wants vs. needs haven't changed much.

I'd still like to see an upgrade at MLB but know that Hitchens is playing credible football so it seems like a long-shot.

I'd still like to see an investment made at OT to get some young blood up to speed as Schwartz/Fisher start to decline and/or get more expensive but I know that we have some other, more pressing issues to address.

I'd still like to get a potential game-changer at TE2 w/ the ability to level up our 2 TE sets (which we run as much as anyone in the league) and complement/replace Kelce if need be but this just doesn't seem to be the right draft for it.

I'd still like to see a more physical X receiver brought in to replace Watkins so that Hardman can maintain his role as a dynamic presence and part-time Y but figure that they'll probably focus on developing Pringle/Kemp if possible.

I do think an immediate infusion of potential high-end talent on the IOL remains as critical as ever. Reiter has steadied himself into merely below average over the last several weeks with moments of genuinely good play. Wiz has made Wylie look as awful as we thought he was and may present a nice veteran stop-gap but is aging and should still be layered if possible. LDT needs to be cut.

Chris is right, DBs are expensive, have steep learning curves and high bust rates. If you can get one w/ a good value, get one. And in either event you should bring at least one in every season in the late rounds anyway. Thornhill's injury will set back his development given how late in the season it was and Mathieu is effectively on a 2-year deal anyway w/ an expensive team option for the 3rd. It might be a real good idea to find someone that can step in for Thornhill early in the season as he continues his recovery and then replace Mathieu in 2022/23.

A 4-3 team should ALWAYS be looking for the right DE or rotational depth. Like CB, we should be beating the bushes for one of these guys in pretty much every draft and if we have a shot at a value pick in the 1st, take him.

RB? **** man, I dunno. Williams looks like he doesn't suck again but I'll just never trust the guy. Again, wait for the value and if its there, take it.

So I'd say I've had a small change in my thoughts at RB and safety, maybe a little bit at IOL but not a ton.

Bottom line is that your view on the draft really shouldn't change a whole lot over the course of a year because needs shouldn't be addressed in the draft unless you've done something really wrong. The draft is for development and if you're lucky someone pops early (Thornhill). A strong 6 week run shouldn't change what we saw with this team over the previous 10. The roster hasn't changed, nor should the plan.
Due to his salary? His play has steadily improved coming back from significant injury.
[Reply]
O.city 04:13 PM 01-15-2020
LDT just gets hurt too much to make what he makes.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 04:17 PM 01-15-2020
Running Back is moving up my priority list.

ILB, RB, CB, OL - in that order probably.

Biggest variable is the Chris Jones situation.
[Reply]
Walt White 05:08 PM 01-15-2020
Creating an offense so unstoppable that no defense could possibly stop it is a good direction to go. Upgrading at RB, another TE, and WR would be nice. But all of those are luxuries. I think most of that can be covered in free agency and mid draft.

But overall, I think we need to invest in the defense as much as possible. Because another direction to go is putting the nastiest defense you can behind Mahomes and good luck beating that.

For the draft, I think it is about analyzing the marginal benefits you could acquire elsewhere. Like if it's marginally better than someone we could get in a later round or free agency, we can wait.

So I still say BPA like others here. If we want to prioritize the O Line or D Line as needs, or corners/ILB, that is important. But we don't need to draft them early necessarily unless there is a truly game changing player in that position. Across multiple positions, there likely will be that. Just trust the scouting and go for players we believe will have the most impact. I'm sure we will have our eyes on gems we can get in later rounds or free agency. Every draft is different, but it's typically easier to find gems later when it comes to offensive weapons, especially with Mahomes setting you up.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:44 PM 01-15-2020
They haven't really changed all that much.

1. Address pass rusher. Either re-sign Jones and/or Ogbah or you have to do something in the draft. I think the team is a better run defending team without Jones on the field, but without a competent edge out there they lose significantly in the pass rush. Have to keep the trenches strong. My opinion is to re-sign Ogbah, tag and trade Jones, and use a draft pick at each spot.

2. IOL. Way too much pressure gets to Mahomes up the middle from all three positions. I don't know if LDT is playing hurt this year or if he regressed and the rest just kinda suck. I'm okay with Rankin and a re-signing of Wiz to fill LG but OC is a huge problem and there needs to be another piece that could start at either guard spot, especially RG. Probably a case of sign one and draft one. Detroit's Glasgow makes the most sense given he's a good player at both OG and OC which frees you up to make a choice of bpa at either position in the draft.

3. LB. Hitchens is terrible. I'd June 1 designate him and go after Schobert hard if the Browns don't franchise him. If Schobert doesn't hit the market, I'd go after Kwiatkoski. Hell, I'd consider strongly going for both. If not both, either case you're looking at trying to find a WLB for the future in the draft.

4. CB. Too many pieces set to hit the market here. The Chiefs have to get 3 CBs in some way and they obviously can't all come from the draft. I'd say re-sign/sign 2 at minimum. I would prefer they do draft 1.

5. RB. I don't think bringing back Shady is a good thing and the rest of the stable aside from Damien is relatively unproven. I'd prefer to have a hammer you can rely on coming from day 2 but all the other needs may trump it depending on what happens with Jones.

6. WR. Need to cut Watkins and Robinson is a FA. The Chiefs are thin after their top 4 of Hill, Hardman, Watkins, and Robinson. Need to bring back Robinson and draft one or draft a couple. Might be seeing another healthy dose of UDFAs this year here.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:18 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Running Back is moving up my priority list.

ILB, RB, CB, OL - in that order probably.

Biggest variable is the Chris Jones situation.
I honestly think the RB stuff gets fixed with better IOL play not personnel. Injuries are a problem sure but RBs are always injured it seems. If there is a late round guy you like fire away but real draft capital on a RB I just can’t do.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:00 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Due to his salary? His play has steadily improved coming back from significant injury.
Yes.

Too many injuries and he simply hasn't improved. We signed him to that deal betting on the come; figuring his best football was in front of him and he'd grow into his paycheck.

He hasn't. He has probably even regressed a bit (even giving him credit for his current level of performance as his normal).

Next year he'll be being paid as one of the top Gs in football but he just isn't. He may be passable but he's not worth the $9 million he's owed even considering inflation at the position. Especially when you can't count on him giving you more than 10-12 games/season.
[Reply]
spanky 52 06:54 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by KurtCobain:
All I really know about him is he had a really good game against Auburn last year. He does have really good size though for our system, you're probably right. It'd be really nice if we could get him in the second without having to trade up.

My question about him, is what is his injury history? I would love to find a durable guy to lock down that position for Mahomes for the foreseeable future.
Started over 40 games at both center and guard for the huskies according to the draft network.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:50 AM 01-17-2020
Lot of interesting responses to this, thanks all.

I agree with a lot of DJ's "likes" for ways to improve the Chiefs, I guess I was just thinking at one point we were all thinking LB and OL literally had to be addressed at the top of the draft, where as now it feels like there is more room to look for a "nice to have" player and be okay with more developmental players for LB/OL if we don't like what falls to us at the top of the draft.

I've been thinking about McKinney in the 1st a lot recently, taking a safety in the 1st sounds insane but he could be "the next Mathieu" and we could have two seasons of him and Mathieu both on the field, which probably opens a world of possibilities for Spags scheme.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:00 AM 01-17-2020
we have Mahomes just entering his prime. Hill locked up for his prime. Kelce in his prime.

Hardman developing and cheap for a few years.

We'll score points.

We need to restock the OL, and continue to build defense.
[Reply]
Coogs 08:43 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
we have Mahomes just entering his prime. Hill locked up for his prime. Kelce in his prime.

We'll score points.

I'm on board with this.
[Reply]
Walt White 08:49 PM 01-18-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

We'll score points.

The more I think about it, I like this approach as a way to simplify it. Stacking the offensive line should be a top priority. And then adding what we can on defense.

If we lose Watkins and/or DRob, we can look for a vet WR or two on the cheap that wants to play with Pat. Same with RB. If a truly game changing RB/WR falls to us in the early rounds of the draft, I'd take it.

I think it's a similar approach with our defense. I'm not sure what we will do with Chris Jones. But I'd look for quality vets on the cheap that can be solid depth in positions of need. And if anything good falls to us in the draft.

As far as if we are going to use any serious capital, it should be to upgrade the offensive line first I think. I'm not sure on the specifics of how it would be possible or what it would take. I just know that if we give Pat a top 5-10 offensive line, good luck to the rest of the league. If it takes trades/free agent signings, we should seriously try to beef it up. And obviously the draft.

We have been rumored in trades talks for a CB like last three years. For the right price, I'd still be interested. But our defense is fairly solid at least. I'd mostly go BPA in the draft. But we have the luxury to be opportunistic. We should really try to upgrade the offensive line.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:25 PM 01-20-2020
I see DE as a big need. Okafor and Tanoh can only be here next year before they leave due to money and Ogbah will probably get paid. Assuming we keep Jones, we can’t put more money into the DL. We just can’t.

Either way they both have torn pecs. Not ideal. And I don’t want to rely on Speaks.

I know we could use a corner, but if a DL that can rush from outside and inside is there, I think you’ve gotta take that player.
[Reply]
Walt White 06:18 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I see DE as a big need. Okafor and Tanoh can only be here next year before they leave due to money and Ogbah will probably get paid. Assuming we keep Jones, we can’t put more money into the DL. We just can’t.

Either way they both have torn pecs. Not ideal. And I don’t want to rely on Speaks.

I know we could use a corner, but if a DL that can rush from outside and inside is there, I think you’ve gotta take that player.
Yeah, I feel like DE is typically something we would have to pick higher too. Not sure that is a position that has many gems late. And DE free agents that are decent command way too much on the market.

Linebacker and corner are needs we have a better chance to fill through free agency or trade if need be. If an elite one fell to us early, we should take it. That is if no great DE would fall to us.

A lot of the top offensive linemen are taken early too because there typically aren't a ton with elite potential. I think it depends on the depth of that particular draft. If we can get O line in the mid rounds that we wouldn't rate that much higher, that is the way to go. Same applies to potential running back or WR.

It's weird because it feels like we are solid mostly across the board yet could easily upgrade in a lot of areas. I think we have the luxury to go BPA for the most part. And then try to fill the other needs with vets in free agency or potential trades depending on how we handle our contracts/cap.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up