ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Chris Jones Situation
O.city 09:06 AM 12-30-2019
First off, I would absolutely choose to keep Jones if they can.

However, if a situation comes up where they just can't make it work and they're gonna move on from him, say the Panthers call and offer the #7 pick.

You make that deal immediately, right?
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:16 AM 12-30-2019
Pick 7? Yeah probably.

But I can’t imagine that being an option. Especially for a QB needy team.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:20 AM 12-30-2019
Chiefs are in a bind. Jones is one of 3 game wreckers on the defensive side of the ball. If they pay him, they will have around $52-56M AAV committed to just Jones, Clark, and Mathieu. But they’re game changers, and they’re the primary reason the defense is pretty good now. So what do you do?

I hope like hell we can win it all this year so that either way, the decision isn’t quite at difficult to look at. There’s pros and cons either way.
[Reply]
O.city 09:37 AM 12-30-2019
Man, it's tough because like you said, Jones is potentially the best and most important defender. You paid Clark and Mathieu already, but damn.

I'd pay him, hope he stays healthy.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:11 AM 12-30-2019
They are going to pay him with the plan that the staff keeps getting the most out of low cost players like Ogbah, D. Wilson, Breeland and our draft picks.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:35 AM 12-30-2019
yeah, I think with the new agreement looming in which the cap number should go up substantially, I think we can pay him and Pat.

But I think the days of signing big FA's are probably over. It's going to be bargain shopping and drafting. If THIS draft is any indication, we'll be fine.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:06 AM 12-30-2019
Pay Jones and keep him a Chief for life.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:10 AM 12-30-2019
If I could spin Jones for a top 15 pick I'd do it in a heart beat.

Why? Because the way this team is structured we need young cheap controllable talent more than anything. Having 2 first rounders allows us to address our main needs on the Offensive Line and Linebacker. With Mahomes you got to keep this roster young, talented, and cheap.

Just hard to sink all that money into Clark and Jones. Which sucks, but it is what it is.
[Reply]
O.city 11:12 AM 12-30-2019
Especially if it were pick 7. I mean, you could have Okudah and say, the best C prospect for 5 years on rookie deals.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:44 AM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Especially if it were pick 7. I mean, you could have Okudah and say, the best C prospect for 5 years on rookie deals.
Yep, I wouldn't even blink.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:46 AM 12-30-2019
I don’t see any scenario where we’re offered the #7 pick for Chris Jones.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:53 AM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
yeah, I think with the new agreement looming in which the cap number should go up substantially, I think we can pay him and Pat.

But I think the days of signing big FA's are probably over. It's going to be bargain shopping and drafting. If THIS draft is any indication, we'll be fine.
Yeah big fish free agent signings are done for at least a couple years I’d say. And that’s totally fine, we aren’t short for blue chip talent.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:56 AM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I don’t see any scenario where we’re offered the #7 pick for Chris Jones.
I'm not so sure.

Bengals take a QB
Washington takes Young
Miami takes a QB
Chargers take a QB

And then you have the Giants at 4 who could trade down. So if you are the Panthers and drafting 8th, and Burrow, Herbert, and Tua are off the board, what do you do?

I don't know, but I'd rather have Chris Jones in front of Kuechly than one of those other defensive linemen. They can also take on a contract like that once they move on from Cam.

And I think they they try and turn it around quickly and bring Philip Rivers in for a couple years.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 12:00 PM 12-30-2019
Teams aren’t going to offer a top 10 pick for Jones, as awesome as he is. Not when you have to pay him too.

They’ll take their chances on someone like Okudah who will be much cheaper for the next 5 years.
[Reply]
O.city 12:32 PM 12-30-2019
I'd imagine it would be someone at the end of the first that might make the deal.

Somene brought it up on twitter, but you could potentially have

A free agent CB, another vet and a late first or second round pick

or

Chris Jones.

I don't know about that decision.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up