ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Duncan's Mock | 12.18.19
duncan_idaho 12:42 PM 12-18-2019
I don’t do this for football very often and won’t claim to be an expert on the NFL draft. I did try to read a few different sources when researching players and think about scheme fit in addition to need and availability draft position, but this is mostly just kicking around some ideas and having some fun.

1st (#32 – yeah, that’s right, I’m calling it):
Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
This comes down to opportunity for me. When it comes right down to it, the Chiefs have done well against the pass in 2019 with a cobbled-together CB group (and really just need to add an outside CB opposite Ward and some depth). Murray’s speed and versatility could upgrade the LB group as a whole and make the Chiefs much more effective in nickel and dime packages. Looking at LB available later in the draft, unless you’re a big believer in Troy Dye of Oregon (who is a physical freak and I think will test his way into the second round), it’s hard to find a guy who could reasonably project to play every down and be good in pass coverage. Year 1, he’s probably my WLB and one of 2 nickel backers.
-Alternatives: CB would also be a great move here (one of Shaun Wade – OSU, Paulson Adebo, Stanford, CJ Henderson, Florida, or Kristian Fulton, LSU would fit). If one of the top 2 centers - Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin or Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma – were available, it would be worth considering, too. Taking an OL here changes the shape of the draft a lot, IMO.

2nd (#59 – from 49ers):
Netane Muti, G, Fresno State
Muti has some of the best physical ability at G/C in this class. His technique needs refining, but you can teach that. Having a LG with his combo of strength and athleticism should be a major plus in pass pro and the run game, without hindering Reid’s love of moving his OL around in screens and designed rollouts.
-Alternatives: Darryl Williams from Miss. State would also be a consideration if going IOL here. He’s probably more ready Day 1 but has less upside. I like CB Jeff Gladney, TCU, in this range, too.

3rd (#96):
Cam Akers, RB, Florida State
There are a lot of guys likely to be available here that I like in KC’s offense. Akers’ ability to catch the ball and all-around package make him the best fit for me.
-Alternatives: Other RBs: J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State. Zack Moss, RB, Utah; Ke’Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt. If I’m confident one of these 4 is available at the end of the 4th round, I might be tempted to take an interior OL guy (better shot at one of them in the 4th, though).

4th (#128)
Zach Shackelford, C, Texas
First-team all-Big 12 this year. Decent size, pretty good mobility, good combo blocker. Has a good pass protection reputation. Downside would be, as a starter, he wouldn’t be likely to be much of an upgrade as a solo run blocker. Might not be ready Day 1 but could be a year 2/late year 1 upgrade.
-Alternatives: Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford. Big, athletic TE who would be a nice #2 option and has some upside as a receiver. Smart, athletic, should be safe and productive year 1. And I’m going to talk about him way less than the next guy: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri. Albert O has 1st-round physical ability – his size, speed, and ball skills are dynamite. He is injury prone and his OC his last two years didn’t seem to really understand how to use him (having a QB in 2019 who couldn’t read the field and refused to throw over the middle also hurt him). Also has poor blocking technique, despite having the frame to be a dynamite blocker, and needs to improve his route running. I wouldn’t stump for him here, but if you believe you can coach him up on the technical aspects, Okwuegbunam could be a weapon as a second TE and also an eventual heir apparent for Travis Kelce.

5th: (#160)
Lavert Hill, CB, Michigan
Versatile guy with the size to play outside and also the ability to play slot. In Spagnuolo’s defense, that versatility seems key.
-Alternatives: There are some WR I like in this range who I think fit the Chiefs scheme/needs: Joe Reed, Virginia and Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin. Each of them has good ability to separate, and has a little more size/effectiveness against man coverage than some of the Chiefs holdovers. Cephus was in a run-heavy offense but performed really well against Ohio State’s stable of strong CB in the Big Ten title game.

Closing thoughts:
If I’m Veach and I walk away from the draft this way, I feel like I’ve made major upgrades at LB and LG in rounds 1 and 2. Akers gives me a back with true 3-down potential (and at worst, an upgrade as my “receiving” back. My last two picks have some upside and provide quality depth, at least.

I’d be scouring the UDFA ranks for a WR that fits the parameters I’m talking about, though I could also hit FA for that need.

And I keep coming back to Okwuegbunam as a potential “Draft maker” when I look at other guys who might be around that spot. I see a lot of similarities to Kelce coming out of Cincinnati – physical gifts that far outshine his draft slot, some immaturity and injury and usage issues causing him to fall down the draft ranks.

Anyway, fire away at this. Changes/recommendations? What FA and other roster moves would you be looking to pair this with?
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 12:48 AM 12-20-2019
Kenneth Murray is a slightly bigger Gary Johnson.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:49 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Oh sure, NOW you heathens come around.

I get savaged for taking a C for the Chiefs in round 1 of the CP Mock last year but now EVERYBODY wants to get on board with the 1st round fatty.

I see how it is...
Well, to be fair, Reiter didn't look like the dumpster fire that he's become back then. He looked 'serviceable'. Now he's been exposed as a 300 pound bag of dogshit.

Also, the defense was SUCH a huge problem we had glaring needs.

Now I feel pretty good about the defensive situation. Next up, offensive line.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:38 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
The more I watch Murray, the less I like him. He doesn't attack the LOS well enough for me. He's like a more athletic Hitchens. I'm not sure I want to spend a 1st round pick on a guy like that.

I like the rest, but not so sure you're getting Akers at the end of the 3rd round. I think top half of the 3rd is his floor so you'd be moving up or taking him at the end of the 2nd.

As for a TE, don't sleep on Brycen Hopkins. Kid is a stud. One really accurate source has him as late 3rd right now.

I haven’t watched a lot of film on him - just highlights from this season. The physical package is there and perfect for a WLB/nickel LB in today’s NFL.

His 2019 highlights show him crashing downhill well on run plays and taking direct routes to the ball carrier, even fighting through some traffic to get there.

He’s not perfect, but I think he would be an upgrade for KC and good value if he’s there at 32.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:09 AM 12-20-2019
Ran a few mocks on NFL Draft Network, just for fun.

Which do we like better:

A)
Creed Humphrey (C)
Bryce Hall (CB)
Troy Dye (LB)
Ke’Shawn Vaughn (RB)
Colby Parkinson (TE)

B)
Shaun Wade (CB)
Netane Muti (LG)
Cam Akers (RB)
Jordyn Brooks (LB, Texas Tech)
Albert Okwuegbunum (TE)

C)
Kenneth Murray (Lb)
Darryl Williams (G)
Essang Bassey (CB)
Ke’Shawn Vaughn (RB)
Quintez Cepheus (WR)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:24 AM 12-20-2019
MU STH here. I would not have Albert O on my board at all. He's a dog.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:39 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
MU STH here. I would not have Albert O on my board at all. He's a dog.

That has been my opinion and was until I started reading mocks/playing around with it this week.

I think it still is, really. I can see the case for taking a swing, if he falls far enough.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:16 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well, to be fair, Reiter didn't look like the dumpster fire that he's become back then. He looked 'serviceable'. Now he's been exposed as a 300 pound bag of dogshit.

Also, the defense was SUCH a huge problem we had glaring needs.

Now I feel pretty good about the defensive situation. Next up, offensive line.
I agree. But we are going to have to continue to work on the D just because so many contracts are up.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:51 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I agree. But we are going to have to continue to work on the D just because so many contracts are up.
well, yeah, but that's kind of the NFL every year.

I think we can re-sign Jones and bring back who we want on defense.

I've just started my usual late season morning routine, in which I do two or three mock drafts on a simulator while I have my coffee.

Of course, it's super early, and of course, nobody REALLY knows where anyone outside of maybe the top ten prospects will go, but so far it looks like if you want a day one upgrade at Center, you're going to have to do it in round one and possibly round two... Same with corner. Same with LB. Guards and running backs you could maybe get it to round three.

I just think that the OL and center in particular is the MUST upgrade area, as it affects Mahomes health and the ability of the offense to function.

I think we can do what we need to with the DL and bring back a corner or two on reasonable deals. LB corps has issues, but is no longer the disaster it was.

I'd like a C, a CB, a LB, and a RB in that first 4, and probably in that order.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:51 PM 12-20-2019
well, yeah, but that's kind of the NFL every year.

I think we can re-sign Jones and bring back who we want on defense.

I've just started my usual late season morning routine, in which I do two or three mock drafts on a simulator while I have my coffee.

Of course, it's super early, and of course, nobody REALLY knows where anyone outside of maybe the top ten prospects will go, but so far it looks like if you want a day one upgrade at Center, you're going to have to do it in round one and possibly round two... Same with corner. Same with LB. Guards and running backs you could maybe get it to round three.

I just think that the OL and center in particular is the MUST upgrade area, as it affects Mahomes health and the ability of the offense to function.

I think we can do what we need to with the DL and bring back a corner or two on reasonable deals. LB corps has issues, but is no longer the disaster it was.

Swap CB and LB and I'm right with you.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:01 PM 12-20-2019
I'd like the LB upgrade but I think it's a pipe dream. Hitchens isn't a complete disaster anymore and they're just not gonna eat that much money.

I'd be pretty content with C, G, CB, RB in the first 4 rounds in any order. I hate that we'll need to neglect a developmental OT again but we just have needs on the interior that are far too great.
[Reply]
O.city 05:48 PM 12-20-2019
I think if you have to go the developmental/ cheap FA route, you do it at LB'er again or maybe at CB.

It's just time to invest in the interior OL for sure. I'd love to really go at CB too, but they need to first and foremost keep Mahomes upright.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 08:25 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Ran a few mocks on NFL Draft Network, just for fun.

Which do we like better:

A)
Creed Humphrey (C)
Bryce Hall (CB)
Troy Dye (LB)
Ke’Shawn Vaughn (RB)
Colby Parkinson (TE)

B)
Shaun Wade (CB)
Netane Muti (LG)
Cam Akers (RB)
Jordyn Brooks (LB, Texas Tech)
Albert Okwuegbunum (TE)

C)
Kenneth Murray (Lb)
Darryl Williams (G)
Essang Bassey (CB)
Ke’Shawn Vaughn (RB)
Quintez Cepheus (WR)
A) Humphrey
B) Albert O
C) Murray

Lol.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:46 AM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I looked at 4-5 mocks done in the past week, and he was going in the early second in all of them, so it seemed safe.

That may change as teams look at FA and the draft and realize the scarcity of players with that 3-down skill set.

Regardless, they should be able to address LB, CB, C, or LG in the draft.
Realistically he should go in the range the Chiefs are picking, but there will be that one team that will take him too early with no plan. Happens every time.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:53 AM 12-21-2019
You’d think Corner will be our first pick due to the importance, but the FA class at that position is loaded with decent players that could be had for cheap ala Breeland, so who knows.

I would love the Wisconsin kid, but honestly I’d like to trade down and gain a 3rd and still be able to get a good talent like Creed Humphrey with an extra top 100 pick.

I agree with DJ in regards to just getting the BPA bc we could use that in most places on the team. Basically anywhere applies for or 1st pick outside of QB, OT and S.

Keep an eye on DL. Probably won’t be able to afford Ogbah, Tanoh is in his last year and Speaks is only here based on draft status/Veach’s pride. Spags loves having a deep DL rotation and Andy loves fatties.
[Reply]
O.city 12:02 PM 12-21-2019
I just hate trading out of the first and losing that fifth year option

If you could say grab another 2nd to go back I’d think about it though.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up