ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 38
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:10 AM 12-20-2019
The Palpatine grandbaby backstory was very rushed and hamfisted.

Just a bad idea to bring him back.

Like how the fuck did he have a son and not ensure that son or any of his offspring got beyond his control?

HOW?!?!

This would have been BEFORE HE DIED IN RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Stupid.

But you know, yay, McDiarmid! I enjoyed him. As much as I enjoy Megatron wrecking shit in Transformers.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:13 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Xwings are incredibly water-tight.
I actually loved this scene. It made me tear up, because the look on Luke's face getting that X-Wing out of the water was glorious. Acting!

In fact, I wanted it in TLJ, although the force projection stuff was better in the end.

TLJ is the best movie of the sequels because it subverts your expectations and gives us something ORIGINAL.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:33 AM 12-20-2019
:-)

So true.

Originally Posted by :
I feel like I just watched a five year old, high on laughing gas from the dentist, run around with his favorite action figures in a sandbox for 2 and a half hours...

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:42 AM 12-20-2019
Brief thoughts:

1. Better than I expected but most certainly not on the level of the OT or Rogue One or even Solo. It felt more like Revenge of the Sith in that we knew what was going to happen, so it was just a matter of seeing it onscreen. If you're curious, see it or see it at a matinee. It's not awful and there are a ton of really great action scenes. That said, it did leave me a little "cold" for lack of a better word but I think that's because I don't really care about the characters like I did from the OT.

In many ways, it felt like Fan Fiction, in that everything that people wanted to see were put on display and not in a subtle manner. While that can be cool at times, it just felt like "Oh, the fans want to see this! The fans want to see that! Let's just give them everything they asked for on Twitter!".

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Now, on to the Retconning of VIII:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:50 AM 12-20-2019
This trilogy ended on such a dumb, hamfisted note I am now compelled to read these:

Never have.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:06 AM 12-20-2019
"it's like getting smacked in the face with a star wars cake"

:-)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:19 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I actually loved this scene. It made me tear up, because the look on Luke's face getting that X-Wing out of the water was glorious. Acting!

In fact, I wanted it in TLJ, although the force projection stuff was better in the end.

TLJ is the best movie of the sequels because it subverts your expectations and gives us something ORIGINAL.
The conversation between Luke and Leia and the Force Projection scene were the most impactful of the new trilogy for me.

Rey’s summoning of the lightsaber in TFA is a close second.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:37 AM 12-20-2019
now they are retconning kylo's turn in the comics which is....not bad altogether

it does kinda work well with him being a troubled young man/actually good at heart

I realise this thread was all over the place but the comic is non-linear. Basically:
- Ben wakes up to see Luke, brings down the hut
- He stares into the distance and asks "why"; my heart breaks
- Starts walking towards the temple but it explodes before he gets there

— Skye #trosspoilers (@skyelo_ren)
December 18, 2019

i kinda wish we got TROS without all the palpatine garbage

palpatine ruined this movie

it should have been kylo ren coming to terms with who he really is and subverting the evils of the first order

no OP Star Destroyers

no incredibly convenient "the people's fleet" showing up to save the day

shit, you could have had the resistance stealing first order star destroyers and shit

you can really tell how lazy JJ was with this palpatine shit though

"OH HEY HE'S BACK NO EXPLANATION NEEDED LET'S GO"

so fucking stupid
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:51 AM 12-20-2019
LMFAO

Jar Jar Abrams is so stupid even his cool things are just plain dumbassed stupid

Originally Posted by :
In a sacred moment of apex silliness, Resistance fighters ride starbeasts of burden across the surface of a low-flying Star Destroyer. If I understand gravity correctly, the evil pilots could defeat the rebel cavalry by just slightly dipping the ship’s port side.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:52 AM 12-20-2019
Holy fuck. Could you have picked a worse screenwriter.

Originally Posted by :
Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio, who also worked on on Batman v Superman and Justice League, poor guy.

[Reply]
Sorry 01:59 AM 12-20-2019
What a boring film. There were sparks of really bad ass scenes;make no mistake jj has SOME talent in film making, particularly cinematography and angles. He’s good at getting you emotional but that’s about it. What a rush contrived bullshit mess. They should have made it a two parter if anything. A lot of this film felt like it should’ve been in the last Jedi. I enjoyed bens story arc premise but not the way it was rushed or presented. The entire film felt rushed and it was two hours.

Honestly, they should’ve been ballsy and had Rey give in to the dark side and Ben actually save the galaxy and become the true chosen one.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:03 AM 12-20-2019
i know you guys hate TLJ

but i guarantee Rian could have written a far more satisfying ending to this trilogy

and I know for sure he wouldn't have fucking given us shots lifted straight from the end of ROTJ to cap it off

look, Ewoks!

JJ should be sued for plagiarism
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:20 AM 12-20-2019

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:32 AM 12-20-2019
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:37 AM 12-20-2019
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 3 of 38