ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Just figure out a way to get Tyler Biadasz.
Chris Meck 09:27 AM 12-09-2019
The single biggest weakness on this team is interior offensive line play.

Let's go get the center that will be Mahomes' best friend for the next ten years and multiple Super Bowl wins.

No, the LB corps isn't in worse shape then the interior offensive line.

No, not the secondary either.

It's the interior line. By far.

Yeah, we're going to need CB's, and maybe a RB, and a WR, and we do need to get better at LB.

None of those spots are why we've lost 4 games this season.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:06 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, the collective CP assertion that Rankin is clearly starter material is...odd.

I mean, there's little question we can find these exact posts about Wylie and Reiter from last year. And both of those guys had FAR more exposure last season before they came off the rails this year. And in the process I think Wylie actually looked better last season than Rankin did this season (I'm not sure I understand when Rankin became so good).

I think Rankin's performance in a short span is 1) being overstated a bit and 2) being given too much weight anyway given that he's suffered a significant knee injury and the last G we had who's' knee blew out (Ehinger) never recovered.

No - they can't bank on Rankin, IMO. And Reiter HAS to go. But regarding Biadasz, I can't see anything to call him a better prospect than Bradbury was a year ago. And while Bradbury has gotten better, he was rooouuuuugh over the first half.

So I'm not saying that Biadasz isn't worth keeping an eye on, but I don't think he's a panacea or sure thing in his own right. Honestly, the situation is just so damn bad in there (especially with LDT costing far more than he's worth) that I'm struggling to find a way to resolve it in a single offseason short of some big time luck in the draft.

If the Chiefs could luck into a Larry Warford type of guy in the 3rd round, that would just be aces. Gimme a nice young rookie C, a 2nd round RB (I think that's where the value is in this draft) and Warford 2.0 in the third, then a solid TE2 who can bring our 12 personnel up a notch (as we run that the 4th most in the league), and I'd be juuuuust fine with that draft.

The "WE NEED A CORNER!!!!" crowd would have kittens, but the amount of pressure that would take off Mahomes would just be immense.
Travis Frederick and Kevin Zeitler are probably the two best interior OL to come from Wisconsin in the past 10 years. And they took some time to adjust to the NFL. I remember Frederick's 2nd ever game as a starting C. He faced Dontari Poe as a 2nd year pro and got utterly fucking demolished so bad I thought his prospects for being a starting pro in the league would be significantly delayed.

Bladasz has a lot more polish to transition to the pros than Frederick did, but it will be interesting. Somehow Andy Reid made it so Mitch Morse, a converted OT from college could start day one in the pros, so I'd like to believe given a 1st round talent he could find somebody pretty damn good.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:51 AM 12-11-2019
If the Chiefs could luck into a Larry Warford type of guy in the 3rd round, that would just be aces. Gimme a nice young rookie C, a 2nd round RB (I think that's where the value is in this draft) and Warford 2.0 in the third, then a solid TE2 who can bring our 12 personnel up a notch (as we run that the 4th most in the league), and I'd be juuuuust fine with that draft.

The "WE NEED A CORNER!!!!" crowd would have kittens, but the amount of pressure that would take off Mahomes would just be immense.
You didn't use the 1st round pick above, I'd be fine with CB, RB, C, TE, whatever in the 5th. Cut Watkins, re-sign Jones and Ogbah then bring in a mid tier FA CB and LB for competition and I'd be down.
[Reply]
O.city 09:03 AM 12-11-2019
This years draft is stacked at WR. If you have some really good players falling to you in the first, maybe a team behind you in the first would give you a 3rd to jump up and grab someone.

You could stay in the first and pick up another pick.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:10 AM 12-11-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Bladasz has a lot more polish to transition to the pros than Frederick did, but it will be interesting. Somehow Andy Reid made it so Mitch Morse, a converted OT from college could start day one in the pros, so I'd like to believe given a 1st round talent he could find somebody pretty damn good.
Some of my favorite early clips of Andy were those of him coaching the OL. That dude knows offensive line play, man. He gets right into the nuts and bolts of it; talks mechanics with those guys.

That's why its so crazy to see him go all 'ride or die' with Wylie and Reiter. He KNOWS those guys are bad. He's not Todd Haley out there just yelling "GIVE ME MORE PASS PLAYS" and trying out his Madden Playbook. He actually knows what he's looking at.

I just don't understand it.

Originally Posted by Chargem:
You didn't use the 1st round pick above, I'd be fine with CB, RB, C, TE, whatever in the 5th. Cut Watkins, re-sign Jones and Ogbah then bring in a mid tier FA CB and LB for competition and I'd be down.
I was presuming that the #1 was spent on Biadasz in that scenario; he's your 'young rookie C'.

And I would still JIMP if we got Kenneth Murray in the 1st.

It's just gonna be tough to address that OL absent spending FA money on it and I'm just not sure where to find it if you intend to bring back Jones or extend Mahomes.

I'm guessing Murray gets looked at as a luxury item and they'll just stick with Hitchens for another year while hoping they can get Ragland on a $3.5-$4 million AAV deal for 2 years. Then they go heavy on OL in the draft.

And fellas, our OTs aren't getting younger - that's gonna need significant attention in the near future as well.

We've neglected the fatties for too long. It's time to pay that tab.
[Reply]
O.city 09:45 AM 12-11-2019
All you say there is true DJ, but it kind of just is the way it goes. You're always gonna have holes, have to rely on certain things.

I think the interior OL is definitely a spot you've got to address. Hell, I'm all for drafting a C and siging Scherff to play LG. It's not feasible I'm sure, but I'm tired of seeing the Ol get worked in there and Mahomes bear the brunt of it.

One thing i've kinda been thinking about, Could you flip Sammy to the Cardinals for David Johnson and financially make it work?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:59 AM 12-11-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
All you say there is true DJ, but it kind of just is the way it goes. You're always gonna have holes, have to rely on certain things.

I think the interior OL is definitely a spot you've got to address. Hell, I'm all for drafting a C and siging Scherff to play LG. It's not feasible I'm sure, but I'm tired of seeing the Ol get worked in there and Mahomes bear the brunt of it.

One thing i've kinda been thinking about, Could you flip Sammy to the Cardinals for David Johnson and financially make it work?
Stop trying to pay RBs.

The money isn't there. Johnson will cost roughly $11 million. And if you want to bring in IOL reinforcements, that's where it ALL has to go (unless you're letting Jones walk).

I've pondered him as an alternative to Bell as well but in the end, he's just slightly less expensive but still far TOO expensive.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:27 AM 12-11-2019
Just keep Darrel Williams and Darwin Thompson and then draft a RB at the end of the 2nd round.
[Reply]
O.city 10:32 AM 12-11-2019
Stop trying to pay RBs.

The money isn't there. Johnson will cost roughly $11 million. And if you want to bring in IOL reinforcements, that's where it ALL has to go (unless you're letting Jones walk).

I've pondered him as an alternative to Bell as well but in the end, he's just slightly less expensive but still far TOO expensive.
I’m just tired of shit at rb

And at guard

I’ll choose a guard to pay I guess
[Reply]
RunKC 10:35 AM 12-11-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Just keep Spencer Ware and Darwin Thompson and then draft a RB at the end of the 2nd round.
Fixed
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:48 AM 12-11-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Just keep Darwin Thompson and then draft a RB at the end of the 2nd round.
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Fixed
Fixed.

We need to shoot damn near the entire RB room into the sun. If you find yourself pining for Spencer Ware, who's agility and speed are just GONE, because he's capable of picking up a blitz....you're doing something wrong.

The fact that there's even an argument for Spencer Ware says as much as needs be said about the fundamental failures the Chiefs have had in putting together their RB stable.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:40 PM 12-12-2019
Fixed.

We need to shoot damn near the entire RB room into the sun. If you find yourself pining for Spencer Ware, who's agility and speed are just GONE, because he's capable of picking up a blitz....you're doing something wrong.

The fact that there's even an argument for Spencer Ware says as much as needs be said about the fundamental failures the Chiefs have had in putting together their RB stable.
I don't think anyone was 'pining' for Ware.

I think Andy trusts him to do things like...pick up a blitz.

I don't think he trusts Darwin to do that.

As for the running back room, things would look a lot more sunny if Reiter wasn't getting shoved back three yards every fucking play.

I'm telling you guys. It's the interior offensive line.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:09 PM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I don't think anyone was 'pining' for Ware.

I think Andy trusts him to do things like...pick up a blitz.

I don't think he trusts Darwin to do that.

As for the running back room, things would look a lot more sunny if Reiter wasn't getting shoved back three yards every fucking play.

I'm telling you guys. It's the interior offensive line.
I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the IOL and have been singing the same song for weeks. Again - I was leading the "Draft Garrett Bradbury in the 1st if possible" brigade last season (note - this was not a brigade. It was just me). Turns out Bradbury has been spotty thus far, but the fact remains - our IOL was a real potential problem coming INTO the season.

But the running backs still suck. Just from a pure skill-set standpoint, they're simply not very good. Thompson is the only one with something resembling a standout skill-set.

If the OL were good, we'd have a Derrick Blaylock situation where we see a guy performing well even though we all know he's pretty lousy.

Yes, there are ways to paper over our stable of lousy running-backs in an effort to make them appear less lousy. But they're not good, man.

Though watching Thompson on that early screen did my heart good. It was nice to see a RB outrun a pursuit angle and simply make 10 extra yards through being a skilled player. Damien looked like that guy at moments last year but has shown only the briefest glimpses of that explosion this year.

It would sure be nice to have someone who can take more than he's given again.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:59 AM 12-24-2019
Sign me up.
[Reply]
Coogs 09:32 AM 12-25-2019
Does Allegretti figure in on the offensive line going forward as a starter? If so, at C or G?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:43 AM 12-26-2019
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Does Allegretti figure in on the offensive line going forward as a starter? If so, at C or G?
I don't think any of us have any real idea.

he hasn't played enough to tell.

I think only using low picks, reclamation projects and UDFA on the line in the last few years is showing up on the field though.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up