ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 30
« First < 162223242526 27282930 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Four major art projects for new KCI terminal revealed
neech 10:50 PM 04-09-2021
The first of four major art projects for the new single terminal airport at KCI have been revealed.

More than 1,000 artists from around the world submitted inquiries after Kansas City announced an international search for artists.
The city said the four works of art were chosen because they either reflected the wonder of travel or Kansas City history.

The budget for artwork at KCI’s new terminal is $5.65 million. Kansas City’s single-terminal airport is expected to open on budget and on time in early 2023.

“The fact that we’ve been through a pandemic over the last year and yet this project remains on time, on schedule, and on budget is a testament to the good work of the team,” said Justin Meyer with the KC Aviation Department.

You can see the renderings of the art projects in the gallery below.

Entitled "Molten Swing"

Entitled "The Air up There"

Entitled "Ornithology"

Entitled "Fountain of Resonance"

"Molten Swing" looks kind of like a mosaic dog or cat to me, it might look cool though but not sure what to make of it at this point.

"The Air up There" simply looks like some lights on the ceiling, again it might look better when you're actually there I hope.

"Ornithology" reminds me of those attacking creatures in the Pitch Black movie. You just knew one of the artwork they chose would have a WTF moment and this is it.

"Fountain of Resonance" I approve of this one.
:-)

Thoughts?

https://fox4kc.com/news/art-projects...inal-revealed/
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:58 AM 06-18-2023
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Flew out Wednesday 6/7 at 6:30am and the line was silly long. The son and I just ended up hopping out about 50 yards short of the beginning of the drop-off zone and walking up the road. Nothing like the HUGE Wednesday morning departure rush.

Flew in last night from EWR (another shithole with "new terminal" smell!!!), and WOW, what a shit show.I'll admit 11pm is one of MCI's two "busy" :-) times, there were four carousels going at once. Of course nothing was open, I didn't expect that, but the pickup area was a complete fucking mess. And my wife sat in the cell phone lot until our carousel started sending bags down. It's nice to have your bags come first, but it doesn't mean much when your pickup is sitting back near Paris Street. We've decided we'll use Execucar moving forward, there's just no really good way. Hell, even the idea of moving from the cell lot to the garage when the plane lands, or just going straight to the garage was a fail, it was full.

I know, I know, they're going to build more parking. And, any day now, KC will become a hub for some airline... :-)

I know some people really want this new beast to be "great", but it's not. It's just not.
That sucks. At first I figured it was a combo of people complaining because change is hard, the airport probably figuring shit out, and maybe they really did fuck it up..... and the more reports like this, sounds like they really did fuck it up. And most of it sounds like they could have just made the departure area longer/wider. :-)
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 07:47 AM 06-18-2023
I departed for Vegas on Tuesday 6/13 and had no issues other than the lunch I chose (meat mitch) wasn't good, and I had to park on P7 (roof), which sucked.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:52 AM 06-18-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
Did you enjoy the art? Thankfully my wife quit her part-time Mon and Tues experiment at Martin City Brewing. No business no tips rarely worked there as she was shifted to other spots that had traffic. Most the places are really struggling closing early. Shit pay along with meager tips she fely bad because her boss with OHM was Filipino so she felt she was letting him down. I did back flips when she said she had enough.

Zach will be in here shortly to tell us all were all hillbillies and don't know how to use an airport. Eat a shit sandwich ya shit eater and stuff your mouth full of Sly and Q's nuts.
The centerpiece "art" thing is pretty cool but that's about it.

And BTW, there was only one car that "parked", pretty-much the rest of them knew how it works so Fat |Zach| may think nobody has a clue, but the truth is it's just how this kind of design works.

Let's face it, KC's airport is going to have the vast majority of it's traveler traffic happen early in the morning and late in the evening; we're not a hub and probably won't ever be one in the true sense of the word. That means almost every flight that happens has people who used the ~250 yards of drop-off and/or pick-up lanes. Doing simple math based on those 250 yards of drop-off and pickup lanes, because there are to lanes for each level/purpose, we have 500 yards of drop-off and 500 yards of pick-up lanes, so 1000 yards total (with inner cars getting tapped by outer cars). Compare that to the ~600 yards of "mixed" (pick-up and drop-off) curbside and about 400 yards of inner-ring taxi/limo/van pick-up/drop-off area, that's the same 1000 yards of pick-up/drop-off road, but there were three terminals. So the old facility offered about 3000 yards of pick-up/drop-off road, the new facility offers only 1000 yards.

The numbers don't lie, there was more, a lot more, curb space between the old terminals and the new single terminal. And yes, Fat |Zack| will say my numbers aren't correct, or some other bullshit, but now that people are using the cell lot, it still sucks.

Add to it that the people crossing the road to get to the completely full garage add more to the back up, and you get what we have now.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:02 AM 06-18-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
That sucks. At first I figured it was a combo of people complaining because change is hard, the airport probably figuring shit out, and maybe they really did fuck it up..... and the more reports like this, sounds like they really did fuck it up. And most of it sounds like they could have just made the departure area longer/wider. :-)
We'll all survive, but yes, it's not as convenient as the old terminals, not even close. If you use Google maps and the measuring tool (using the satellite view for the old terminals and the standard (not-satellite) map to approximate the curb lengths of the new terminal based on the parking garage (I did because I was curious about what exactly the problem is after Friday night) and I was shocked to discover how much less curb space there is. And I gave the new terminal the benefit of having two lanes for each process.

Please check my math, but I think what I discovered is pretty-much right and a huge factor in what so many of us are experiencing. And another new parking garage isn't going to solve the curb space issue. Another garage will help with parking spaces, but that's about it.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:06 AM 06-18-2023
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
I departed for Vegas on Tuesday 6/13 and had no issues other than the lunch I chose (meat mitch) wasn't good, and I had to park on P7 (roof), which sucked.
Originally Posted by :
These are the three days in the middle of the week. Business travelers are usually coming and going at the beginning or end of the week. Leisure travelers are rarely looking forward to the middle of the week, so they can enjoy their days off. Not that many people have a reason to fly on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/be...t-days-to-fly/

I'm glad yours was smooth, what time?

And our departure was on a Wednesday, but we were caught up in the early morning rush that this new facility can't handle very well.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 02:37 PM 08-10-2023
Kansas City International Airport had a spike in catalytic converter thefts. Here's how they fought back

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...ey-fought-back
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:43 PM 08-10-2023
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Kansas City International Airport had a spike in catalytic converter thefts. Here's how they fought back

LOL

[Reply]
Bearcat 02:45 PM 08-10-2023
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:

Human Are Terrible Marcevan Jackson GIFfrom Human Are Terrible GIFs

[Reply]
New World Order 03:39 PM 08-10-2023
Id be happy with a holographic Tupac
[Reply]
bdj23 04:05 PM 08-10-2023
Instead of just arresting criminals you have to pay $400 to have your cat weeved with a bunch of bike lock cables

Honk honk honk
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:10 PM 08-10-2023
I'm flying out of the airport Saturday, is there anything I should know? Can you still get there later and get through everything like you could the old one or should I get to the airport like I do at other ones earlier.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:20 PM 08-10-2023
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
LOL

This what I roll with on the Jeep

Entire block got hit once except for mine

RE: the new airport. Reminds me of a newer Midway which I love flying in and out of
[Reply]
New World Order 07:25 AM 08-11-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I'm flying out of the airport Saturday, is there anything I should know? Can you still get there later and get through everything like you could the old one or should I get to the airport like I do at other ones earlier.
I usually fly every week for work. I'd say it's usually not bad.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:03 AM 08-11-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:

It’s faster than ever though you will have a bit longer walk to your gate. But security is way better and faster since they have one big line with many more security checks so you are having one security area for like 20 gates like it used to be.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 09:30 AM 08-11-2023
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It’s faster than ever though you will have a bit longer walk to your gate. But security is way better and faster since they have one big line with many more security checks so you are having one security area for like 20 gates like it used to be.
Flying out today...

How the hell is a single security point faster than what it used to be? I would literally walk up to the gate and be in within 5 minutes. Now I fear its gonna be like it is in almost every major airport where it takes 20+ to get through security because there is a single choke point for the whole fucking airport.

Guess I'll find out here shortly.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 30
« First < 162223242526 27282930 >
Up