ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 26
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fire Me Boy! 01:11 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Fritz88:
Sounds good. Do I get preseasoned or season it myself?

Can't wait to get my hands on one.
They're almost always pre-seasoned these days, but you'll be better off if you give a little attention before you cook on it. If you try the method above, report back.

As for cleaning, someone else mentioned just use hot water. DO NOT USE SOAP, and ALWAYS DRY IT IMMEDIATELY. These things will rust fast. If you've got some stuck on bits and need some scrubbing power, salt and a paper towel work wonders. Don't use an abrasive scrubbing sponge because it can wreck the seasoning. If you need to strip the seasoning for any reason, pop it in the oven and put it on self-clean.
[Reply]
Fritz88 11:22 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Not really. Le Creuset are the top of the line, but I've never seen or heard anyone who owns 'em say they were worth the extra money you spend. Most of my cast iron is Lodge.

Personally, I'd skip the griddle and go with a 10- or 12-inch skillet. Everything tastes better in cast iron, and you'll limit what you can do with just a griddle.
So I have the option of grabbing a 10 inch Staub cast iron skillet , griddled or order online a 10 inch Lodge, not griddled .

What do you recommend? I will end up paying the same price for either one, considering shipping costs.

I mainly plan on using it on burgers, searing steaks and grilling Fish. Will I regret my decision if I go with Staub?

Here it is

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:36 AM 11-09-2011
So I have the option of grabbing a 10 inch Staub cast iron skillet , griddled or order online a 10 inch Lodge, not girdled.

What do you recommend? I will end up paying the same price for either one, considering shipping costs.

I mainly plan using it on burgers, searing steaks and grilling Fish. Will I regret my decision if I go with Staub?

Here it is

I don't care for cast iron grill pans. I find them terribly difficult to clean and season really well, and you can't do everything you want in them. And if I want to grill, I'll use the grill.

I'd go with a standard 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet, like what tooge pictured above. That's your standard go-to pan and will do a kick ass job with burgers.

You'll like the enameled exterior, though.
[Reply]
sedated 11:53 AM 11-09-2011
So I have the option of grabbing a 10 inch Staub cast iron skillet , griddled or order online a 10 inch Lodge, not girdled.

I'd go non-griddled. You are going to want as much surface area of the meat to be seared, and the griddle will only give you the grill marks.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:01 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
It's tough to beat a burger made on cast iron. I rarely do burgers on anything else.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:02 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
I bought one a couple weeks ago. They are amazing for cooking a strip. Put in in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. When it's done, turn on a burner to high. Put the skillet on the burner and put the steak on for 30 seconds then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Put it back in the oven for 3 minutes, flip, and 3 more minutes. Perfect steak.

Don't use soap when you clean it, though. Scrub it under hot water, dry it, and rub a little olive or vegetable oil on it before putting it away.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 01:03 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Groupon:
Don't use soap when you clean it, though. Scrub it under hot water, dry it on a stove burner, and rub a little olive or vegetable oil on it before putting it away.
:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:04 PM 11-08-2011
I bought one a couple weeks ago. They are amazing for cooking a strip. Put in in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. When it's done, turn on a burner to high. Put the skillet on the burner and put the steak on for 30 seconds then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Put it back in the oven for 3 minutes, flip, and 3 more minutes. Perfect steak.

Don't use soap when you clean it, though. Scrub it under hot water, dry it, and rub a little olive or vegetable oil on it before putting it away.
Sounds like you either A) Watched a very old episode of Good Eats or B) Purchased Alton Brown's cookbook.

That's a verbatim description of how he cooks his steaks indoors.

It's a passable winter substitute for wood-charcoal in a Weber grill...
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:09 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Sounds like you either A) Watched a very old episode of Good Eats or B) Purchased Alton Brown's cookbook.

Neither. I got it word of mouth, but I'm pretty sure that Alton Brown was involved in the creation of the chain. It's fucking good, though.
[Reply]
Dayze 01:22 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Yeah, it's a killer recipe in Alton's book Good Eats.(love that book).

Saul, if you like blue cheese, do the same thing to cook your steak. Then de-glaze the skillet with about 1/4C brandy, then a add in the blue cheese to melt. Spoon out on the side. It makes a great dipping sauce for a steak (not that steaks need it, but you get the idea).

Alton's recipe^ not mine.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:30 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Yeah, it's a killer recipe in Alton's book Good Eats.(love that book).

Saul, if you like blue cheese, do the same thing to cook your steak. Then de-glaze the skillet with about 1/4C brandy, then a add in the blue cheese to melt. Spoon out on the side. It makes a great dipping sauce for a steak (not that steaks need it, but you get the idea).

Alton's recipe^ not mine.
It's funny. I hate blue cheese, but it's really good on a steak. It's almost like I hate and love it at the same time when it's on a steak. Hard to explain, but maybe I'm in the process of acquiring the taste. If anyone's ever been to La Bodega, that blue cheese encrusted steak is amazing.
[Reply]
Dayze 01:31 PM 11-08-2011
It's funny. I hate blue cheese, but it's really good on a steak. It's almost like I hate and love it at the same time when it's on a steak. Hard to explain, but maybe I'm in the process of acquiring the taste. If anyone's ever been to La Bodega, that blue cheese encrusted steak is amazing.
same here. to overwhelming any time else for me, except when that taste is cut a bit by a rich/juicy steak.
[Reply]
NewChief 01:08 PM 11-08-2011

We did that with this freaking 40 day aged T-bone my buddy brought up the other day. Insane.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:10 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by NewChief:
We did that with this freaking 40 day aged T-bone my buddy brought up the other day. Insane.
That reminds me. It can't be some shitty 1/2 inch cut. It's got to be 1 1/2 inches thick. This should go without saying, but you never know.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:09 PM 11-08-2011
Yup^. Scrub with a stiff brush, no steel wool or detergents (like SOS pads).
[Reply]
Page 2 of 26
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up