ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 17
« First < 61213141516 17 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The PI call that the refs voluntarily overturned
bobbything 05:15 PM 10-13-2019
You know, the one on Mahomes’ interception. The refs called pass interference, announced the call, and then huddled together and voluntarily overturned their own call after they announced it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Someone explain how that happens without a challenge.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:56 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by DanT:
Thanks, I see what you mean, now.

I just took a glance through the rule book. "Challenges" have to do with the review of plays be Instant Replay. In theory, this "pass interference" call could have been overturned by a coach's challenge, but Houston didn't challenge it.

Instead, the officials initiated their own discussion and corrected the call. The officials did not on their own accord. You are asking, then, the very reasonable question, why couldn't they have just called it illegal contact then? I believe the answer to that is that they could have in fact done so.

I suppose that the reason why they didn't do so is that the officials didn't think it was illegal contact at the time the play was going on and they didn't change their mind about it during the post-play huddle(s). I would guess that in the spur of the moment, that of the officials who saw the Kelce-Johnson engagement, the main thing they had in their mind after the "pass interference" call was announced what "No way was that pass interference!". But, had an official also thought, "but it was illegal contact", then they could have called it that.

So I was wrong earlier in saying that the officials couldn't have overturned the call. They couldn't have used replay review to do so, but I think they could have if they wanted to, on their own accord. Thanks for asking your questions!

Just thinking about the human factors in play, I don't think the officials at the time were thinking that there was as big of a need to correct the "non-call" of illegal contact as there was a big need to correct the egregious call of pass interference.
The ref explained that there wasnt d holding or illegal contact because the contact took place while that ball was in the air.

which IMO is wrong but not reviewable...
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:57 AM 10-15-2019
I say just tackle everyone who goes out for a pass. Legal right?
[Reply]
Mecca 06:59 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
The way they explained that rule is basically, once the ball leaves the QB's hand if your receiver is not intended you can just chop out his knees and it's perfectly legal.
[Reply]
TEX 07:01 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
You're better than this, man.

Especially after all this time here.
No he's not.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:02 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I don't know. Detroit couldn't even get close to GB's receivers without getting flagged on the final drive last night.

Amazing, the lack of consistency. It's like they'll call whatever they want...
[Reply]
stevieray 07:04 AM 10-15-2019
Seen it so many times. I just can't muster the energy to get upset about it anymore.

money corrupts.
[Reply]
notorious 07:07 AM 10-15-2019
Seen it so many times. I just can't muster the energy to get upset about it anymore.

money corrupts.
I am pissed at the NFL for pushing me to the point of questioning their legitimacy.

It’s right there on TV.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:09 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I am pissed at the NFL for pushing me to the point of questioning their legitimacy.

It’s right there on TV.
I know it..and the people that are feeling that way is growing.

When you have to wait to see if there is a flag after a big play, you've ruined the game and stolen the excitement of playing.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:33 AM 10-15-2019
So...anyone see GB's final drive on MNF last night??
[Reply]
Mecca 07:34 AM 10-15-2019
The NFL is about on par with the WWE these days.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:37 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The NFL is about on par with the WWE these days.
:-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:38 AM 10-15-2019
Intended Receiver becomes ambiguous for a guy with Mahomes anticipation and ability to air it out. Its common for the ball to be out before his intended receiver makes his break and can get to it. Add in the level of incompetence among NFL refs and I can see intended receiver biting us again at some point.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:40 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Intended Receiver becomes ambiguous for a guy with Mahomes anticipation and ability to air it out. Its common for the ball to be out before his intended receiver makes his break and can get to it. Add in the level of incompetence among NFL refs and I can see intended receiver biting us again at some point.
The precedent has been established.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:40 AM 10-15-2019
100 years ago people fully thought that shit was real, hence where terms like mark came from...

It makes you wonder if at some point the NFL will refer to fans as marks as they are open about the ruse that their sport is.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:41 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
100 years ago people fully thought that shit was real, hence where terms like mark came from...

It makes you wonder if at some point the NFL will refer to fans as marks as they are open about the ruse that their sport is.

[Reply]
Page 16 of 17
« First < 61213141516 17 >
Up