ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 16
« First < 3910111213 141516 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Strouds fried chicken
jspchief 08:09 PM 08-10-2005
A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:32 PM 09-22-2020
Opening a takeout joint.

Stroud’s, Kansas City’s iconic fried chicken restaurant, to open takeout-only outlet https://t.co/DWIDfaj2Ux #kc pic.twitter.com/acmeZ7lMFz

— Joyce Smith (@JoyceKC) September 22, 2020

[Reply]
Simply Red 02:34 PM 09-22-2020
give me - Bartos, Chicken Annie's or Chicken Mary's in SEKS.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:38 PM 09-22-2020
Strouds isn't bad, the chicken fried chicken is solid but that is a dish I always enjoy.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:39 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
give me - Bartos, Chicken Annie's or Chicken Mary's in SEKS.
Chicken Annie's east of Girard is the best by far.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:49 PM 09-22-2020
I've been to Stroud's once - it's not as good as those places I had mentioned - but where as Stround's you'll see a lot of plates w/ standard sides (mashers, greenbeans) - the Pitt Kansas spots like to serve German Potato salad and another side is a simple meatless spaghetti w/ red sauce - surprisingly the spaghetti goes very well w/ the chicken.
[Reply]
TLO 02:51 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I've been to Stroud's once - it's not as good as those places I had mentioned - but where as Stround's you'll see a lot of plates w/ standard sides (mashers, greenbeans) - the Pitt Kansas spots like to serve German Potato salad and another side is a simple meatless spaghetti w/ red sauce - surprisingly the spaghetti goes very well w/ the chicken.
What is German potato salad?
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:52 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
It's like regular potato salad, only it served up in a concentration camp.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:54 PM 09-22-2020
Often glazed instead of a mayo/mustard emulsion. Often served warm rather than cold. Often sliced potatoes rather than diced.

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:54 PM 09-22-2020
It's what potato salad should be. Heavy vinegar, garlic, pepper, oil.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:55 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Often glazed instead of a mayo/mustard emulsion. Often served warm rather than cold. Often sliced potatoes rather than diced.

That's, as you noted, warm German potato salad (with bacon grease, sugar, etc.). The SEK version is cold and uses different ingredients.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:00 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
That's, as you noted, warm German potato salad (with bacon grease, sugar, etc.). The SEK version is cold and uses different ingredients.
I used to live in Germany. Pretty much every little town has its own beer, wine, sausage, and salads (potato, cabbage, carrot, etc.).

Literally you can travel 20 minutes and have the same exact meal with completely different ingredients.

As for potato salad, despite the above, it was almost always served warm. Also, mayo was pretty much non-existent. Lot's of mustard but no mayo.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:10 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Opening a takeout joint.

The link is subscriber only. Anybody got the details on where/when, etc?

And most importantly, who is going to be running it?:
[Reply]
tx4chiefs 03:13 PM 09-22-2020
http://stroudsrestaurant.com/

Only in KS and MO. KC area, but there are 3 of them, soon to be 4.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:17 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

So scalloped potatoes then?
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:21 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
So scalloped potatoes then?
No because scalloped potatoes have cheese.

The glaze is generally made from sugar, vinegar, and bacon grease.

Have you ever had Dutch wilted lettuce? Same glaze.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 16
« First < 3910111213 141516 >
Up