ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 16
« First < 289101112 13141516 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Strouds fried chicken
jspchief 08:09 PM 08-10-2005
A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:05 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by chinaski:
Oh hell yeah.

You've been saving all your nickels and dimes
(For two whole weeks)
Gonna show someone a real good time...
(Come on Cindy, you're coming with me)

I remember going to the Show-Biz on Noland road when I was a kid...I remember it being right by the Venture store. Birthday Party's and what not. I don't remember the food, just the Animatronic band (Jim Bob?) and the Arcade. Good Times.

(Your're not suppose to eat the ball!)
Even as a 10 yr old who couldn't admit that anything is cool or sweet, I had to acknowledge that damn commercial was adorable.

My oldest was 4 when my twins were newborns and I could have absolutely seen her doing something like that. They're almost 2 now and she just fawns over them still.

I do remember the pizza being ass but playing the holy hell out of the TMNT Arcade Game. That and the X-Men game. We'd get 3 or 4 of us mannin' the sticks and managed to beat them both. My memory is that X-Men was friggen hard.

[Reply]
Raiderhater 01:13 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by chinaski:
Oh hell yeah.

You've been saving all your nickels and dimes
(For two whole weeks)
Gonna show someone a real good time...
(Come on Cindy, you're coming with me)

I remember going to the Show-Biz on Noland road when I was a kid...I remember it being right by the Venture store. Birthday Party's and what not. I don't remember the food, just the Animatronic band (Jim Bob?) and the Arcade. Good Times.

(Your're not suppose to eat the ball!)

We used to go to the one at Shawnee Mission Parkway and Quivira. I don’t remember what the pizza was like either, but at that young age there wasn’t really such a thing as bad pizza. And that place was more about the games and the show anyway.
[Reply]
Old Dog 02:28 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
On the subject of places that no longer exists, does anyone else have fond memories of ShowBiz Pizza?
I can't find the other commercial

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQPZvPYdoY
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:44 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by Old Dog:
I can't find the other commercial

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQPZvPYdoY

[Reply]
tooge 02:52 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Speaking of KC restaurants that are no more, what was the name of the restaurant that was a little west of Metro North on the north side of Barry Road. It was set back off the road a bit and it looked like a country club. My memory of it may not be perfect because it was a long time ago, but I remember it being one of those places you go for prom and such. Hell, it may still exist, but I don’t think so. I never have the need to go to that part of town though, so I can’t be sure.
It was Rembrants. The other place on the east side of Metro North just off Barry Rd was Ivy's. Ivy's had really good food and was family owned.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:56 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
It was Rembrants. The other place on the east side of Metro North just off Barry Rd was Ivy's. Ivy's had really good food and was family owned.
Forgot about Ivy's.

We went there a time or two and yeah, I remember that place being fantastic.

Then again, I remember feeling like big shit when we went to Applebee's so that doesn't mean a whole lot...
[Reply]
tooge 03:07 PM 10-02-2019
Thats funny. I was the same way. Back in 1990 or 1991, I was still in school and after a big exam, a bunch of us would celebrate by going to the new Applebees. Big menu, beer, tv's. LOL. Applebees is shit.
[Reply]
O.city 03:08 PM 10-02-2019
All the guys I went to Dental school with from KC were obsessed with Strouds. It was good for sure, but growing up in southern mo/northern Ark where I did, with the family I did, that kind of cooking was pretty normal for a Sunday.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:25 PM 10-02-2019
Thats funny. I was the same way. Back in 1990 or 1991, I was still in school and after a big exam, a bunch of us would celebrate by going to the new Applebees. Big menu, beer, tv's. LOL. Applebees is shit.
I went there a couple of years ago for the first time in probably 10 years. There's just never a reason, with every option available, to think "y'know, Applebees sounds good..." I think they were advertising $1 margaritas and the wife likes her margs so she made the call.

And when it was over, all I could think was "Y'know, they should change their slogan to 'Applebees - we serve food'.

Because it wasn't even bold enough to call bad. It was just...there. There was nothing that would qualify as above average. Nothing so odious as to make it inedible. It was just...sustenance. "Applebees - you can eat this"
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:28 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
All the guys I went to Dental school with from KC were obsessed with Strouds. It was good for sure, but growing up in southern mo/northern Ark where I did, with the family I did, that kind of cooking was pretty normal for a Sunday.
I'd forgotten you were from Thayer (sorry 'bout your cousin's husband; sounds like a shitty deal).

Yeah, our mutual acquaintance has this sort of austere southern carriage to him. I guess I didn't realize that Thayer is essentially Little Savannah.
[Reply]
Mr. Kotter 03:45 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Speaking of KC restaurants that are no more, what was the name of the restaurant that was a little west of Metro North on the north side of Barry Road. It was set back off the road a bit and it looked like a country club. My memory of it may not be perfect because it was a long time ago, but I remember it being one of those places you go for prom and such. Hell, it may still exist, but I don’t think so. I never have the need to go to that part of town though, so I can’t be sure.
Speaking of NW Barry Rd....anyone remember the Kerry Patch? Nice place. Guess they closed back in the 90s, though.
[Reply]
tooge 04:35 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
We practically lived at the Firehouse right across from the school. Was it there when you were in school?
[Reply]
O.city 04:38 PM 10-02-2019
We practically lived at the Firehouse right across from the school. Was it there when you were in school?
Don't think so. Never went there if it was.

We went to TeoCali mostly as it was walking distance right across the road and the owner was always trying to bang some of the girls in the school so he'd open at like 9 am if we wanted him to after a final or something.
[Reply]
O.city 04:38 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'd forgotten you were from Thayer (sorry 'bout your cousin's husband; sounds like a shitty deal).

Yeah, our mutual acquaintance has this sort of austere southern carriage to him. I guess I didn't realize that Thayer is essentially Little Savannah.
Yeah, i can see that from him.
[Reply]
bobbymitch 04:43 PM 10-02-2019
Seems as KC had a bunch of chicken places. I'll go back a bit in time that I remember - Wishbone Restaurant and Green Parrot. A little newer - Drumstick Restaurants.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 16
« First < 289101112 13141516 >
Up