ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2408 of 3903
« First < 1408190823082358239824042405240624072408 240924102411241224182458250829083408 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:45 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Mecca is the mods cat with a thousand lives. Rules for all except mecca he is special.
Three posts in four minutes about one guy. You ok, bud? Need a hug?
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:50 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Yeah right all you are is the flipside of him.
Nooooooo kidding.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:51 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Lmao again you have no clue what you are talking about. TMC is big but it is one of MANY chain hospital systems here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...alth-care.html Here is an example

Just Harris county, where Houston is located has 80 hospitals
107% capacity!!!!
[Reply]
BleedingRed 07:54 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
107% capacity!!!!
lol
[Reply]
lewdog 08:00 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Lmao again you have no clue what you are talking about. TMC is big but it is one of MANY chain hospital systems here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...alth-care.html Here is an example

Just Harris county, where Houston is located has 80 hospitals
I'm not talking about a single hospital. You're the guy for weeks coming in and saying "28,000" bed capacity!" Totally not understanding bed capacity vs ICU vs equipment needs vs staffing. People keep mentioning surge beds. I promise you, you don't want to see the care provided on a surge unit.

Area hospitals running around 90% here, and guess what, not enough staffing to support the level of care needed. Current COVID over-flow of 20 patients, in a hospital by us, are being managed in the emergency department. Sucks for the people coming into that hospital with life threatening injuries not related to COVID. Sorry for you, you might be exposed while you're here in our ER!

Phoenix is bringing in out of state nurses to work, not enough RN coverage and moving new grads nurses from ortho floors to the COVID ICU. We can put your loved one in a hospital that can't support the care that's needed.

Respiratory therapy staffing is the other major concern with ventilator use. They have doubled the amount of patients an RT is handling right now in area hospitals. They are even moving to consider RN's and Speech-Therapists to assist in managing ventilators. I've worked around vents and tracheostomies but God damn that surely isn't in my Scope of Practice. Think my professional liability insurance will cover me?!

Hopefully if your family member needs care, they don't end up in the hospital being forced to take short cuts for care.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:02 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
You really wanna math? I don't do this to be cold but I do it to be rational...

Number of Covid cases in the US = .7% of our total population

Number of Covid deaths in the US = .03% of our total population

Now on a rational basis we shut down our entire country for something that is effecting < 1% of our population and killing less < .05% of our population

Now, the raw numbers are nothing to balk at and are serious and we need to treat them as such. But overall the "math" certainly provides a certain perspective.
I'm not talking about shutting down anything, but doing nothing isn't going to get us to herd immunity like so many keep claiming. The math doesn't support that at all in a country this size. Please follow along.

Keep the economy open and ask for citizens to follow basic precautions such as distancing and wearing masks.
[Reply]
tk13 08:17 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
If you wanted herd immunity, the likelihood of it with the protests and people not taking the virus seriously is pretty high now. Spikes in cases can be attributed to both I’m sure.
We are miles from herd immunity right now and we won't be anywhere close anytime soon. You're talking tens of millions of people who'd still have to get it.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:23 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I'm not talking about shutting down anything, but doing nothing isn't going to get us to herd immunity like so many keep claiming. The math doesn't support that at all in a country this size. Please follow along.

Keep the economy open and ask for citizens to follow basic precautions such as distancing and wearing masks.
lew, your guilty conscience is getting the best of you. I never said you were calling for a shut down. And I agree we are not near to herd immunity but then again how do you suggest we get there?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:24 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
We are miles from herd immunity right now and we won't be anywhere close anytime soon. You're talking tens of millions of people who'd still have to get it.
And I am not saying this is the most sensible way but the quickest way to get there is to stop all the hiding. Ripping the band aid off always comes with the additional pain.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:30 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Three posts in four minutes about one guy. You ok, bud? Need a hug?
I used to like him a lot, but Mecca has recently proven to be just as dismissive of differing opinions and hateful as anyone in DC

This place has always been hardscrabble, but I’ve never seen anything like the bile and vitriol around here lately

It’s a perfect microcosm of the US overall, it’s almost painful to read right now... and it damn sure isn’t just the right wingers stoking it, not by a LONG shot
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:35 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I wish I could.

I need to force myself to do so, but I seriously can't look away. It's like watching a train wreck.
Get off the internet. I know we live in the same area and you would never know anything is going on 90 some percent of the time. My life is pretty much as it was before. I check out threads like this for a good laugh. It's like bizarro world in here so don't take it so seriously. Check out the boobies threads or something.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:38 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
And I am not saying this is the most sensible way but the quickest way to get there is to stop all the hiding. Ripping the band aid off always comes with the additional pain.
I could also propel myself through the air faster by sitting on a pound of Semtex and then detonating it instead of jumping, but that doesn't make it an idea even worth considering.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:39 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I used to like him a lot, but Mecca has recently proven to be just as dismissive of differing opinions and hateful as anyone in DC

This place has always been hardscrabble, but I’ve never seen anything like the bile and vitriol around here lately

It’s a perfect microcosm of the US overall, it’s almost painful to read right now... and it damn sure isn’t just the right wingers stoking it, not by a LONG shot
I'm not going to do it, but a part of me wants to ban you from the thread for this just to watch the world burn. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 08:41 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Get off the internet. I know we live in the same area and you would never know anything is going on 90 some percent of the time. My life is pretty much as it was before. I check out threads like this for a good laugh. It's like bizarro world in here so don't take it so seriously. Check out the boobies threads or something.
Different areas of the country are dealing with different issues. I am not dismissing your safety if you don't dismiss mine.

Your county sounds pretty safe. It almost makes me wish I lived there.......almost.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:42 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Different areas of the country are dealing with different issues. I am not dismissing your safety if you don't dismiss mine.

Your county sounds pretty safe. It almost makes me wish I lived there.......almost.
Meh..stay where you are. The safety isnt worth it
[Reply]
Page 2408 of 3903
« First < 1408190823082358239824042405240624072408 240924102411241224182458250829083408 > Last »
Up