ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Retirement Thread
Mr. Wizard 09:21 AM 04-08-2024
I don't really know what to do. I love 90% of my job as a shop teacher. I could retire and make about the same money. I could then go get another job and bank all of it. But man I think I will miss this. I thought about getting my cdl and driving local. Get in, drive, get out, go home.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:42 AM 04-08-2024
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
I don't really know what to do. I love 90% of my job as a shop teacher. I could retire and make about the same money. I could then go get another job and bank all of it. But man I think I will miss this. I thought about getting my cdl and driving local. Get in, drive, get out, go home.
Yeah...it's the 10% of your job that drives the frustration and makes it difficult to enjoy your job.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:14 AM 04-09-2024
:-)
Attached: 436421070_771514861833393_5004689375133428376_n.jpg (89.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:39 AM 04-09-2024
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
:-)
😆 🤣

How true that is!!
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 09:26 PM 04-10-2024
My advice is: Get that library card out, and go check out some good reading material. Dashiel Hammet, Gene Wolfe, James Crumley are a few of my favorite.
Get a gym membership utilizing 'silver sneakers'. You can go work out 'for free'. You'll discover the truth of the old saying 'Move it or lose it'. So move it.
Buy a fishing license. Go, sit on the bank with a line in the water. Bring one of those good books from the library. Bring some bug spray.
Learn to cook mo' betttah. Grilled chicken breasts or lamb, marinated in a little italian dressing and cut into chunks to cook on skewers. Mushrooms are also good griled/olive oiled, You've got time, put it to good use.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 06:40 AM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
My advice is: Get that library card out, and go check out some good reading material. Dashiel Hammet, Gene Wolfe, James Crumley are a few of my favorite.
Get a gym membership utilizing 'silver sneakers'. You can go work out 'for free'. You'll discover the truth of the old saying 'Move it or lose it'. So move it.
Buy a fishing license. Go, sit on the bank with a line in the water. Bring one of those good books from the library. Bring some bug spray.
Learn to cook mo' betttah. Grilled chicken breasts or lamb, marinated in a little italian dressing and cut into chunks to cook on skewers. Mushrooms are also good griled/olive oiled, You've got time, put it to good use.
All of this is great advice and I am doing some of that already....the only bad piece of advice for me is the mushrooms part....I have a bad allergy to them, :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:16 AM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
Yep, you begin losing something like ~.5%-1% of your muscle mass per year after 40 or ~5-8% per decade if you don't do anything about it.

(and by "anything", not sure it includes the old people at the gym who put 10lbs on the leg extension machine and lazily do a few reps... but, maybe it gets the hear rate up a bit if nothing else...)
[Reply]
Mosbonian 03:04 PM 04-16-2024
Just bumping this to the top after BRC's thread....

Anyone who has any advice.....stories to pass along...or just wants to vent about something you faced when you retired please feel free to jump in here
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:43 PM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
Just bumping this to the top after BRC's thread....

Anyone who has any advice.....stories to pass along...or just wants to vent about something you faced when you retired please feel free to jump in here
Yeah, I would have put my retirement post in here but I also needed to let planeteers know about my memory issues. I was worried many wouldn’t see it because they are not retired or thinking about retiring.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 08:00 PM 04-16-2024
Yeah, I would have put my retirement post in here but I also needed to let planeteers know about my memory issues. I was worried many wouldn’t see it because they are not retired or thinking about retiring.
You wre absolutely right to put it in its own thread as most people nay not check out this thread until they have something to contribute.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:12 AM 05-07-2024
I've got some CD's that are mature in a couple of months. I have a 401K I have to make a decision on in a couple of weeks. What have you guys done with these in the past or will in the future?
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:39 AM 05-07-2024
I've got some CD's that are mature in a couple of months. I have a 401K I have to make a decision on in a couple of weeks. What have you guys done with these in the past or will in the future?
Gave it to me
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:12 AM 05-07-2024
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Gave it to me
I'm sure you'll have plenty by the time you retire.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:28 AM 05-08-2024
I might suggest rolling over your 401k to an IRA. Once you hit 73, you will be required to take min distributions
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:57 AM 05-08-2024
There are a lot of different variables, a lot of which depend on your needs/wants but here are a few things I’d do if it were me. (Note: I’m just a schlub telling you what I’d do. No advice here)

Take your CD money and split it like 4 ways and then every 3 months put one section in a CD. Or you can do it 12 ways and do it every month. Laddering CDs can help offset the timing risk.

As for your 401K, I’d leave it in the market as long as you’re comfortable with the risk profile of your investments. One thing I would do is figure out if there are any client paid fees. They don’t advertise them so you’ll have to do some looking. If there are any fees, definitely roll that shit into a self directed IRA. Almost all the big ones have no fees. Then if it’s me I keep some index fund type exposure to the market.

EDIT: another thing you should probably figure out is how difficult it is to get normal distributions out of your 401K. If that’s very difficult, again I’d roll it to an IRA.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up