ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Caddies make HOW much?
Rain Man 11:08 PM 02-15-2019
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/matt-ku...223808034.html

The key elements of this story are:

1. Some dude I've never heard of won $1.3 million in a golf tournament somewhere.

2. He had hired a temporary caddy, and he paid the caddy $5,000.

3. According to the article, caddies regularly get 10 percent of tournament winnings.

4. Apparently there was a golf tempest and the guy offered the caddy another $15,000, but the caddy wanted an additional $45,000 to get to a total of $50,000.

5. Apparently the golf tempest continued, so the golfer dude ended up paying the caddy dude a total of $50,000.

What is this? What world do we live in where a caddy makes $50,000 in a tournament, and apparently the going rate would have been $130,000? Yeah, I know they carry the clubs and make recommendations on the green and stuff, but come on.

I mean, $1.3 million for a golfer is just as ridiculous, but at least the golfer can claim that he was the best at it.

All of you guys with kids need to start training them to caddy. It's way less difficult than long snapping.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:06 AM 02-16-2019
:-)

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:08 AM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by synthesis2:
I played collegete golf and its not the same but I know a good amount about golf.

I thought the caddie was just taking advantage of the height of social media and playing it to its fullest and I think its disgusting...

Not that I care one way or another about the Kuch but think about this. I get that he could afford it, I get that its a drop in the barrel but that's not the point.

It was his sub, he agreed on 5K, fair and square, he wins the tournament and offers to pay him 15K vs the 5K even though he does not have to nor should he, just does it because he's a nice guy.

Then said caddie says " not thank you keep your money" What a douche bag, I wish Kuch had stuck to his guns but the caddie knew that his poor old me would get enough people talking even though he was offered triple what WAS AGREED ON!

I have had caddies for many tournaments in my life ( I know its not the same at all) and they play a role but that's why they get paid. I think the caddie was a low life and just going the route of how lawyers are today. Exploit and get as much money as you can, who cares about the circumstances.

Offered 3 times the contracted agreed upon amount and he says " keep your money" what an ahole.
Yeah, it sucks. On the bright side the guy will never caddy again.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:13 AM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Yeah, it sucks. On the bright side the guy will never caddy again.
Yea, I don't think he thought this through.
[Reply]
oldman 11:58 AM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Considering how much money Kuchar as made, the money shouldn't be an issue.

While you think caddies might make really good money, you have to remember that they have to pay for everything they do. Travel, expenses, insurance etc. So if you're not tied to one of the elite golfers who consistently make the Top 20 in tournaments, you're not guaranteed much on an income.
This. But the guy made a deal and wasn't owed anything else. True enough, I would have given him more, but I'm a nice guy when I win $1.3M.
[Reply]
MahiMike 04:08 PM 02-16-2019
Yeah Kuchar will never live this down.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 04:16 PM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan:
The guy was a sub...agreed to $4k when hired.
After winning he paid another 1k...total $5k.
Kucher made amends after he thought about it and paid the $50k the caddie wanted. Not a cheapskate move.
As RockChalk stated, the ONLY reason Kucher made amends is because of the media blowup and pressure from his sponsors. If he was really the nice guy everyone says he is, he never would have made the statement "The guy makes about $200/day, so $5000 is a great week for him" Talk about an arrogant, 1% view..
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:20 PM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I really think I could do that job. Give me a little time to learn the rules, and I could do it. That's good money for a few days' work.
You could not.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:38 PM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You could not.
That's what Bruce Springsteen's dad told him, too. The power of my dream is not to be underestimated.
[Reply]
highBOLTage 04:46 PM 02-16-2019
That's what Bruce Springsteen's dad told him, too. The power of my dream is not to be underestimated.
I think you could. Plenty of wives/friends have caddied. It might take a while for you to be an asset, but you could carry a golf bag and read a yardage book. In that spirit, Kuchar should have Big Papi David Ortiz caddy for him when he defends that tournament next year.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:52 PM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by highBOLTage:
I think you could. Plenty of wives/friends have caddied. It might take a while for you to be an asset, but you could carry a golf bag and read a yardage book. In that spirit, Kuchar should have Big Papi David Ortiz caddy for him when he defends that tournament next year.
Thank you for believing in me! I'll acknowledge you as an inspiration when I eventually win the Caddy of the Year award.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 04:55 PM 02-16-2019
A caddy is sort of a coach, a guy doesn't play but helps his team or player. Most players have a swing coach, but they're not allowed on the course during his round. The caddy will help read the greens, give the player yardages for every shot and help with club selection.

The caddy will come out to the course before the tournament starts and walk the course, writing down yardages to landing spots, to hazards, to the greens, study the weather and prevailing winds, whatever the player asks for.

In Kuchar's situation, the guy was a local caddy who sometimes can give player even better insight of the course. A caddy is also like a locker room attendant, he keeps the player's clubs cleaned, make sure his shoes are clean, maybe even help with the wardrobe and coordinate with the sponsor what the player's needs in clothes, caps, balls, clubs, etc.

The player usually pays the caddy's expenses and a salary of $1000 to $1500 a week and then 3% of his earnings, and if a wins he gets 10%. In Kuchar's case telling the caddy he was going to get $50,000 if he won, Kuchar was getting off easy. When he offered $15,000 that was a slap in his face and the caddy turned it down.
[Reply]
Stewie 04:58 PM 02-16-2019
How much should caddies be paid? Most of the top caddies on the PGA tour make a nice living. A one-and-done gets paid that week's salary.

This reminds me of the Masters tournament controversy. It was required by the Masters committee that local Augusta caddies (black caddies that knew the course) be used for the tournament... until the media deemed it racist. The local black caddies have lost out on milion$ for the sake of "feel good fairness."
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:03 PM 02-16-2019
The more I think about this, I'm curious how the deal started. If this guy was an experienced caddy, wouldn't he know that he'd agreed to a low-dollar deal? Is the 10 percent thing just a tradition and not a contract thing for the regular PGA caddies? How did he end up on a $4,000 deal?

Based on what some of you are saying, it sounds like the $4,000 would've been high if the golfer had come in 21st instead of 1st. So the golfer was taking some risk in hiring him on that deal.

I also wonder if the caddy got the job because he low-balled the price. Maybe there was another caddy that the golfer interviewed who wanted a more standard deal, and this guy undercut the price to get the job. I don't know if that would be a factor or not in the golfer's decision, but if so, then some other caddy ended up getting a raw deal.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:18 PM 02-16-2019
The more I think about this, I'm curious how the deal started. If this guy was an experienced caddy, wouldn't he know that he'd agreed to a low-dollar deal? Is the 10 percent thing just a tradition and not a contract thing for the regular PGA caddies? How did he end up on a $4,000 deal?

Based on what some of you are saying, it sounds like the $4,000 would've been high if the golfer had come in 21st instead of 1st. So the golfer was taking some risk in hiring him on that deal.

I also wonder if the caddy got the job because he low-balled the price. Maybe there was another caddy that the golfer interviewed who wanted a more standard deal, and this guy undercut the price to get the job. I don't know if that would be a factor or not in the golfer's decision, but if so, then some other caddy ended up getting a raw deal.

Ugh... Again, he was a one-and-done caddie. He had no special knowledge of the course or the player. He agreed to $4000 and was paid $5000. He turned down a higher payment being a greedy dumbass.

A caddie for a top tour player gets a weekly salary, all expenses paid and a portion of winnings. There's a shitload of work that goes into being a great caddie for the best players. It ain't easy.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:53 PM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by highBOLTage:
I'm sure he could carry a bag and be of no assistance reading greens or judging winds.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up