ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Caddies make HOW much?
Rain Man 11:08 PM 02-15-2019
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/matt-ku...223808034.html

The key elements of this story are:

1. Some dude I've never heard of won $1.3 million in a golf tournament somewhere.

2. He had hired a temporary caddy, and he paid the caddy $5,000.

3. According to the article, caddies regularly get 10 percent of tournament winnings.

4. Apparently there was a golf tempest and the guy offered the caddy another $15,000, but the caddy wanted an additional $45,000 to get to a total of $50,000.

5. Apparently the golf tempest continued, so the golfer dude ended up paying the caddy dude a total of $50,000.

What is this? What world do we live in where a caddy makes $50,000 in a tournament, and apparently the going rate would have been $130,000? Yeah, I know they carry the clubs and make recommendations on the green and stuff, but come on.

I mean, $1.3 million for a golfer is just as ridiculous, but at least the golfer can claim that he was the best at it.

All of you guys with kids need to start training them to caddy. It's way less difficult than long snapping.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:12 PM 02-15-2019
If the stakes are high, I'd imagine they're worth every penny. Better than your competition having one. It's like a golf expert, course sherpa, and shrink all in one.

If only Alex Smith had a caddy on the field to tell him to take out the driver on a par 5.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:19 PM 02-15-2019
I really think I could do that job. Give me a little time to learn the rules, and I could do it. That's good money for a few days' work.
[Reply]
MVChiefFan 11:22 PM 02-15-2019
I’ve done some research on this, and a good caddy is well worth the money. These guys have to walk the course and measure off distances from all over the place. If their golfer hooks a drive somewhere in the rough, the caddy needs to be able to tell him the EXACT distance. A really interesting read is “Who’s Your Caddy?” by Rick Reilly, it really opens your eyes to the world of a caddy.
[Reply]
TribalElder 12:14 AM 02-16-2019
Cheapskate douche move

Guy probably won’t win again so he kept all the money
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:28 AM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Cheapskate douche move

Golfers get paid a damn good amount of money. Say you have a 5 mil prize pool. All you have to do is make the cut and you get ~10,000 if you finish in 70th place. Each lower placing gets 100 bucks less than the previous. So just make the cut.
[Reply]
tk13 01:01 AM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Cheapskate douche move

Kuchar isn't Woods or Mickelson but he's certainly not terrible either. He's made $48 million in career earnings.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 05:15 AM 02-16-2019
Considering how much money Kuchar as made, the money shouldn't be an issue.

While you think caddies might make really good money, you have to remember that they have to pay for everything they do. Travel, expenses, insurance etc. So if you're not tied to one of the elite golfers who consistently make the Top 20 in tournaments, you're not guaranteed much on an income.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:42 AM 02-16-2019
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Considering how much money Kuchar as made, the money shouldn't be an issue.

While you think caddies might make really good money, you have to remember that they have to pay for everything they do. Travel, expenses, insurance etc. So if you're not tied to one of the elite golfers who consistently make the Top 20 in tournaments, you're not guaranteed much on an income.
You are right and for the most part they have a tough life.

They earn every penny and golf is one of the toughest games on the planet as there are so many variables.

"Bud, Sweat and Tears" is a book that hits on the subject a little and enjoyable to read..
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 08:44 AM 02-16-2019
Matt Kuchar is #10 on the PGA all-time winnings list @ $46,627,590.

http://www.espn.com/golf/moneylist/_/tour/alltime
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:51 AM 02-16-2019
I have a friend who has his PGA card - and caddies every now and then.

A really good caddie is a mix of a psychologist, course expert (knows when to lay up, when to hit the big stick), and topography (regardless what you're seeing, the ball will break left here).

They deserve a decent cut of big winnings.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 08:58 AM 02-16-2019
The guy was a sub...agreed to $4k when hired.
After winning he paid another 1k...total $5k.
Kucher made amends after he thought about it and paid the $50k the caddie wanted. Not a cheapskate move.
[Reply]
RockChalk 09:52 AM 02-16-2019
$50K is nothing to Kuchar. And whoever said he probably won't win again doesn't watch much golf. I've always had a particular disdain for Smiling Matt, but he's a good, consistent golfer.

He would not have paid it though if his sponsors didn't put pressure on him to make it right.
[Reply]
synthesis2 10:04 AM 02-16-2019
I played collegete golf and its not the same but I know a good amount about golf.

I thought the caddie was just taking advantage of the height of social media and playing it to its fullest and I think its disgusting...

Not that I care one way or another about the Kuch but think about this. I get that he could afford it, I get that its a drop in the barrel but that's not the point.

It was his sub, he agreed on 5K, fair and square, he wins the tournament and offers to pay him 15K vs the 5K even though he does not have to nor should he, just does it because he's a nice guy.

Then said caddie says " not thank you keep your money" What a douche bag, I wish Kuch had stuck to his guns but the caddie knew that his poor old me would get enough people talking even though he was offered triple what WAS AGREED ON!

I have had caddies for many tournaments in my life ( I know its not the same at all) and they play a role but that's why they get paid. I think the caddie was a low life and just going the route of how lawyers are today. Exploit and get as much money as you can, who cares about the circumstances.

Offered 3 times the contracted agreed upon amount and he says " keep your money" what an ahole.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:14 AM 02-16-2019
I played college golf, never had caddies though. Complete bullshit what happened. It wasn't his normal caddie, it was a temp. He already had an agreement he would pay him 4k. He paid him MORE than that when he won and paid him 5k. The guy bitches and he then tries to pay him 15k more. He still refuses. But it hit social media and blew up so now he has to pay a caddie that knows nothing about his game 50k.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up