ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I think I have figured out the perfect FA and draft plan for the defense
Buckweath 02:33 PM 02-13-2019
Here it goes.

FA

You sign a top notch FA safety (Thomas, Collins or Amos) for multiple years and a good DT (McCoy, Richardson, Suh, etc.) for a one-year or two-year contract. You can also sign other players on offense and defense on cheap deals.

Draft

1st round: CB

2nd round: ILB and C/G

3rd round: CB

You restructure Houston. You tag Ford. You trade a 2020 2nd round pick for Patrick Peterson or a lower pick for a decent veteran player who has a year or two left on his contract. I guess you could sign instead a FA CB on a one-year deal.

You end up with:

Houston-Nnadi-Jones-Ford

O'Daniel-Hitchens-2nd round LB

Peterson-Collins-Berri-1st round CB (Fuller in the slot)

You have Speaks and Kpassagnon as backup at DE. You have your FA DT rotating with Nnadi/Jones.

With the Hithens contract, I just don't think you can afford paying big dollars to a FA LB. Plus, recent drafts have showed that you can have a good LB late 2nd round/early 3rd round (Anzalone, Carter, Warner, Cunningham, etc.) and those guys are good early.

The linebackers would be the weakest group but I think they can be decent, especially if Hitchens goes back to his Cowboys' form.

The secondary would be a strong group. Even if Berri doesn't play, you have Watts or Murray (I know he is poor) who can play there. You have Ward and a 3rd round pick as backup CBs. I guess that 3rd round pick could be a safety but I would rather get a CB. If Berri doesn't play, Veach needs to find a scrap heap safety like Dorsey did so well.

I think it would be a defense set up for the next two years where you can draft a 1st round DE in 2020 to replace Houston/Ford or something like that.

Fire away! SB here we come.

What do you think?
[Reply]
Hoover 02:36 PM 02-13-2019
I think we are wasting Speaks by keeping him on the bench. I'd let Houston walk.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:41 PM 02-13-2019
Why are you drafting an ILB to play outside?
[Reply]
Buckweath 02:41 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I think we are wasting Speaks by keeping him on the bench. I'd let Houston walk.
Chances are that either Houston or Ford gets injured?

I would only have Speaks starting if Houston doesn't want to restructure.

But Speaks is a big unknown. If this team is to have a strong defense I would like him to be a backup this year. He can be a starter the following year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:43 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
Chances are that either Houston or Ford gets injured?

I would only have Speaks starting if Houston doesn't want to restructure.

But Speaks is a big unknown. If this team is to have a strong defense I would like him to be a backup this year. He can be a starter the following year.
They drafted Speaks to play in this base defense. Last year was the year he sat, this year, he's in the ideal situation to start.
[Reply]
YontsRBake 02:44 PM 02-13-2019
You guys need to realize that we have to sign 70 mil+ within the next 2 years

Mahomes - 30 mil
Hill - 21 mil
Chris Jones - 15 mil

That’s 66 mil alone right there.

You need to stop expecting guys like Landon Collins in FA. It’s not happening and you’re just setting yourself up to be letdown.

I like the Peterson idea but feel like Cards will demand more.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:46 PM 02-13-2019
I don't want Suh - but I'm okay letting Houston walk, I realize many don't agree w/ that - that's fine. Yeah you won't replace him (even laterally) but you can come close and w/ that free'd $$ address adding another quality starter.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:47 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by YontsRBake:
You guys need to realize that we have to sign 70 mil+ within the next 2 years

Mahomes - 30 mil
Hill - 21 mil
Chris Jones - 15 mil

That’s 66 mil alone right there.

You need to stop expecting guys like Landon Collins in FA. It’s not happening and you’re just setting yourself up to be letdown.

I like the Peterson idea but feel like Cards will demand more.
Cap is overrated - when there are ways a team can structure.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 02:48 PM 02-13-2019
You are not playing Houston at a 5 tech sir. I'd expect speaks there and Houston at either the Sam or play him at rush end and trade Ford for a pick and draft a true even front sam backer.
[Reply]
Buckweath 02:48 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They drafted Speaks to play in this base defense. Last year was the year he sat, this year, he's in the ideal situation to start.
He can start if Houston is released.

I know he was playing out of position in a 3-4 last year but it is not like he has shown much to be a clear starter. I wouldn't feel too much confident having Speaks as a starter next year. He could be good or he could be mediocre.
[Reply]
Skyy God 02:48 PM 02-13-2019
Is Berri the Quebecois spelling for Berry??
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:49 PM 02-13-2019
1. Cut Houston, Sorenson, Ragland and Murray.
2. Tag and trade Ford to the Packers for a 2nd round pick in 2019 and a future 2020 pick (4th to 5th range)
3. Sign Vinny Curry to a 2-3 year deal worth about $7 million a season.
4. Trade our 2019 1st round pick and a future 2020 pick (3rd to 4th range) for Jalen Ramsey.

2. Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware
2. Germaine Pratt, LB, N.C. State
2. Connor McGovern, G/C, Penn State
3. Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt

Speaks - Nnadi - Jones - Curry

Pratt - Hitchens - DOD

Ramsey - Berry - Adderley - Ward

Fuller in the slot.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:50 PM 02-13-2019
A 2nd rounder for Peterson :-):-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:50 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
He can start if Houston is released.

I know he was playing out of position in a 3-4 last year but it is not like he has shown much to be a clear starter. I wouldn't feel too much confident having Speaks as a starter next year. He could be good or he could be mediocre.
They can't afford to have yet another 2nd round pick sitting on the bench all year. These guys need to contribute now or they need to be cut.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:51 PM 02-13-2019
You on crack?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Up