ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How is climate going to change where you live?
TambaBerry 09:15 PM 02-12-2019
https://fitzlab.shinyapps.io/cityapp/

Came across this today thought it was pretty cool
[Reply]
loochy 08:28 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
Global Warming is now called climate change for a reason. Cooling trend is now in progress. Al Gore = Hot Air
So what you're saying is this: we're all doomed!
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:29 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
You don't know what state the Chiefs play in, do you?
When people say this it makes me so mad
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 08:32 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
So what you're saying is this: we're all doomed!
I hear Mars is very cool year round. So is Antartica.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:44 AM 02-14-2019
I don't really want to jump into this very badly, mostly because I don't have a binary position on this topic. But here goes. This topic falls in lockstep with the rest of our God forsaken culture in the 2 positions are fucking all or nothing, either of which is manageable.

First, climate on the planet hasn't been particularly stable across time. The obvious answer is the Ice Age, but even then there are other aspects, such as the Dickens Winter that are far from stable.

I haven't done to the work to figure out the Science - not because I'm a conspiracy theorist or an anti Science guy, but more importantly because it is an exercise in futility. Here's the thing, we as humans impact the planet. We just do, and there is literally NOTHING we can do to completely eliminate our impact on the planet.

As a short aside that illustrates my point, my great grandparents built a house in 1922 on some native grass. They started running their model Ts through the pasture and up to the road. They did that for less than a year and made a road to a different road which we still use. Well, I can show you the track they used in the pasture today. Driving a model T across grass a few times impacts it badly enough that it is visually evident for 96 years? And we are expecting us as a global society to achieve a symbiotic relationship with our planet - which is unachievable without completely removing our impact on the planet. If a few trips with a model T affects grass for 96 years, there is literally no way we can eliminate our impact of civilization. Think about the difference between running a car on grass versus even a small town. It just isn't in the cards.

Accordingly, we should be looking for ways to reduce our impact with the least impact on society. Because having a net 0 impact on the environment means most people on this planet die, which I have a moral objection to.

As per the norm, we choose some little foothold of fact and choose that foothold to make a hill to die on rather than have an objective discussion. Shit makes me crazy.

As usual, BL articulates the points about energy and it's importance to society far better than I can.

Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
First off, are you talking about pollution, or CO2?

Second, if you're talking about 'taking care of' CO2, there are plenty of ways that efforts at reduction can impose 'bad.'

Energy is our lifeblood. Human capacity to harness energy to productive ends is the single biggest factor in our contemporary quality of life, as well as health and longevity.

There are mechanisms for harnessing energy that involve no emission of CO2, but at present and for the foreseeable future, CO2 emission is part of the most efficient, effecitve and affordable way of providing reliable energy to mass populations.

I am all for progress. I am all for finding newer, cheaper, more efficient, more reliable methods of energy producting, harnessing, and transmission.

But moving beyond our current understanding without a new understanding to replace it at the same price will incur severe costs. Some will just be belt tightening. Some will be marginalizing. Some will be deadly.

People like to think that the 'climate change debate' is between deniers who oppose progress and advocates to support progress. But the true 'debate' is between the laws of physics and our understanding of them. Harnessed energy is a powerful tool for human comfort, productivity and achievement, but it is slavishly bound to the laws of the universe that we can only understand, not bend, not erase, not ignore.
Bottom line is, if you reduce CO2 and more importantly the energy that is derived from it's production, people will die. End. I'm all about doing what we can, but not at the expense of humanity. Moreover, nationally, I am opposed to doing it at the expense of competitive advantages.

And let's be real here, Even if we swap out every combustion motor in the countryside, we will still be producing a massive amount of CO2 to power those motors, it will be centralized, and probably more efficient, but we won't have solved shit. We will still be overproducing CO2, despite massive expense to offset it.

So the bottom line is, I don't know specifics about climate change, but our impact on the environment is undeniable. And while we should actively work to reduce that impact, but our moral obligation remains to the propagation of our species.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:03 AM 02-14-2019
10:03am and it's 44 degrees. GLOBAL WARMING!!!

/Fishy-Fish
[Reply]
Mecca 10:36 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
Global Warming is now called climate change for a reason. Cooling trend is now in progress. Al Gore = Hot Air
I've been watching some stuff lately that says we're entering a grand solar minimum...it's basically a sun cycle.

If it is true it's going to be a lot colder for the next several decades.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:39 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I've been watching some stuff lately that says we're entering a grand solar minimum...it's basically a sun cycle.

So, I should invest in the dry suits sooner than later?
[Reply]
Mecca 10:41 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
So, I should invest in the dry suits sooner than later?
It basically causes the jet stream to move and the sun goes into a less active phase so it puts out less heat.

Early on in the phase it causes extreme temperature variants like how during the summer it was hot as balls and now we're getting arctic winter temps.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:44 AM 02-14-2019
It basically causes the jet stream to move and the sun goes into a less active phase so it puts out less heat.

Early on in the phase it causes extreme temperature variants like how during the summer it was hot as balls and now we're getting arctic winter temps.
So, yes on the dry suit?
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:58 AM 02-14-2019

:-) Those AFC CHAMPIONSHIP Games at ARROWHEAD are going to be FREEZING! :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 11:08 AM 02-14-2019

[Reply]
Mecca 12:01 PM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Pretty much, not sure I buy into it but I mean at this point I'll listen to the theory. It basically says if it does happen we'll have a really really cold stint. in 2025.

There is actually evidence that it's happened before so at least there's that.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:02 PM 02-14-2019
Pretty much, not sure I buy into it but I mean at this point I'll listen to the theory. It basically says if it does happen we'll have a really really cold stint. in 2025.

There is actually evidence that it's happened before so at least there's that.
Yeah, it's a lot easier to buy into diminished output from the sun than cow farts.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:43 AM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Yeah, it's a lot easier to buy into diminished output from the sun than cow farts.
Welp, another global warming day off.

They'll just never get it will they?
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:38 AM 02-15-2019
I assume we're going to be fine because they extra heat from the global warming will be let out the hole in the ozone they swore was going to cook us all by now when I was a kid. It's like leaving the door open on the house for a little while.....cool that shit right down.

Democrats concerned with Cow farts, should lead by example. I encourage them all to put a cork in both ends. At least the bullshit associated with cow farts makes fertilizer which grows grass at a higher rate. The fast growing grass, fertilized by cow poo removes CO2 and produces O2. That just proves that cow shit is of more value than a democrat's hot air.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up