ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock 1/23/19
kccrow 08:54 PM 01-23-2019
Just having some fun for shits and giggles...

The Chiefs fire Bob Sutton in the offseason and hire Steve Spagnuolo, a former Reid assistant, and Jim Johnson protege, as defensive coordinator. (This is a carryover from last mock, so far 1/2 is true).

Chiefs beginning cap space of $42,967,636 using estimate of $190,000,000 salary cap per OTC (NFL stated range of $187.0 to 191.1 million).

Extensions

WR Tyreek Hill: It's imperative to lock up the team's most dynamic player long-term and give Mahomes a weapon for the foreseeable future. Hill must be retained and he won't get cheaper.
5 years/$95.0m contract extension with $65m in guarantees, $42m guaranteed at signing, and $20m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 6.13 2020: 18.75 2021: 19.25 2022: 19.75 2023: 18.25 2024: 15.00
Notes: Hill will earn the NFL Proven Performance Escalator for the last year of his rookie deal which means his base salary will increase to the Right of First Refusal tender amount. That amount was $1.907 million in 2018 and increases by the percentage the cap increases with a minimum of 5% and a maximum of 10%. The NFL has stated a cap range between $187.0 and $191.1 million, which means Tyreek's 2019 salary will be between $2.012 and $2.056 million. I will err on the high side at 2.056 for tenders and PPEs.

DL Chris Jones: I've been preaching the same thing Andy Reid mentioned not too long ago: the quickest route to the QB is a straight line and having defensive lineman that can get after them up the middle is better than good edge rushers in today's NFL that sees QBs get the ball out quicker than ever. Jones has stepped up his game considerably and we should project that to continue.
5 years, $81.0m contract extension with $40.0m guaranteed at signing including $20.0m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 5.98 2020: 13.00 2021: 15.00 2022: 16.00 2023: 17.00 2024: 16.00

Note: These moves and Tyreek's performance escalator reduce 2019 cap space by $9.336m. Both extensions done after June 1 (noted later).

Tags/Tenders
FS Jordan Lucas: RFA Original Round Tender estimated $2.05m (Hoping KC reaches an extension agreement to lower the hit)
DL Justin Hamilton: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
PK Harrison Butker: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
WR Markus Kemp: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
WR Gehrig Deiter: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus

Cuts

SS Eric Berry: Eric Berry, despite his leadership, has been available far less than a player making his salary should be. It's time to move on and get guys in here that are available. The move is a June 1st designation which frees up an additional $9.55m in 2019 after June 1 and $5.50m in 2020 with dead money of $6.95m in 2019 and $8.00m in 2020. This cap space used to sign extensions noted above.

SS Daniel Sorensen: Sorensen hasn't been much of an asset since signing his extension, routinely missing tackles and being subpar in coverage assignments. The Chiefs ailments in the back end are extensive and require re-tooling. The move frees up an additional $2.693m in cap space in 2019 and $4.75m in 2020 with dead money of $2.0m in 2019.

FA Acquisitions

DL Rodney Gunter (ARZ): Gunter has started to look like a good football player in 2018 and seems to have the work ethic to continue ascending. The Cardinals are in a huge state of flux with coaching changes coming and it will be interesting to see who they try to retain. While Gunter should be on that list, I've also seen alot of players hit the market during such situations that I didn't expect to. Gunter is a big guy at 6'5" 305 and he's got good quickness off the snap and speed to close. I have him valued similarly to Abry Jones(4-yrs/15.5m) and Justin Ellis (3-yrs/13.5m)
[I]4 years, $17.75m with $4.00m signing bonus and $6.75m fully guaranteed. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 4.00 2020 4.25 2021 4.75 2022 4.75

ED Preston Smith (WAS): Smith is a very solid run defender and gets a ton of pressure on the QB despite less than eye-popping sack totals. He's the type of edge player this team needs on the outside to help stop the bleeding in the run game. He shouldn't command the type of contract that Dee Ford will with his gaudy sack total that will make some GM's go gaga. I think a Whitney Mercilus-type deal taken to current cap dollars is his value.
4 years, $35.00m with $7.00m signing bonus and $13.40m fully guaranteed. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 8.25 2020: 8.25 2021 8.75 2022: 9.75

CB Ronald Darby (PHI): Darby is a bit of a gamble coming off an ACL injury, but if he's on track in March he could still see a pay day similar to Allen Robinson. I'm going to go all out here and sign him to a lucrative deal that has some protections in it should the Chiefs need to release him after one season. He's a far better corner than anyone on this board seems to want to admit and is becoming one of the better all-around corners in the NFL, plus he's still only 25 with his prime ahead of him.
5 years/$65.5m with $16.5m guaranteed, a $10.5m signing bonus, and $14.25m in potential additional guarantees including roster bonuses of $3.0m in 2020 and $4.0m in 2021 as well as a salary guarantee of $7.25m in 2020 if he's on the roster the 5th day of those respective league years. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 8.25 2020: 12.50 2021: 13.75 2022: 14.75 2023: 16.25

TE Maxx Williams (BAL): Williams has had alot of injuries throughout his career but he's still extremely young and has flashed what made him a high round pick. He'd make an excellent number two type with solid hands, route running, and blocking ability.
3 years/$9.0m with $1.5m signing bonus, and $1.0m roster bonuses in 2020 and 2021 if he's on the roster the 5th day of the new league year. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 2.00 2020: 3.25 2021: 3.75

RB T.J. Yeldon (JAX): Yeldon is a nice complimentary back that really excels in the passing game and could be a sure-fire weapon under Andy Reid, especially given his penchant for using backs on screens and down the field. Yeldon may look for a starting gig but if there are no takers, he's going to have plenty of options to be part of a committee once again and there may not be a better fit for him.
2 years/$4.5m with $1.4m signing bonus and $1.9m guaranteed. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 1.75 2020: 2.75

S Andrew Adams (TB): I've been high on Adams since he left UConn and every time he gets a shot to play he does well. He doesn't have many starts with only 4 in each of the past two seasons, but he'd be a nice cheap safety to bring in and compete for a starting gig and at worst should be solid depth.
2 years/$4.0m with $1.0m signing bonus and $1.5m guaranteed. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 1.80 2020: 2.20

ED Shane Ray (DEN): Ray was on track to be a good contributor and at worst a hell of a situational pass rusher until a wrist injury and subsequent surgeries derailed his career. If he is indeed past that injury and can start putting muscle back on this offseason, then he could be a low risk, low salary, prospect as a situational rusher in KC.
2 years/$4.0m with $700k signing bonus, $1.1m guaranteed. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 1.90 2020: 2.10

Notes:
I fully expect the Vikings to cut SS Andrew Sendejo so that they can put a 1st round tender on SS Anthony Harris and then kick the can down the road a bit on Everson Griffen's contract by converting some salary to bonus money so they can re-sign some other players. That all said, if they put an original round tender on Harris, I'd put an offer in on him. He was incredible this year and is young enough to make it worthwhile.

Re-signings

FB Anthony Sherman: Sherman is one of the better fullbacks in the league and is excellent on special teams. His volume of usage offensively gives me pause, but if there's space to sign him then I'd undoubtedly do so.
4 years/$8.4m with $5.0m guaranteed and $2.4m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 1.90 2020: 2.00 2021: 2.20 2022: 2.30

All PS on Minimal Deals that likely don't affect Top-51.

Let Walk

DE Allen Bailey, CB Orlando Scandrick, TE Demetrius Harris, FS Josh Shaw, RB Spencer Ware, OC Mitch Morse, FS Ron Parker, WR De'Anthony Thomas, OLB Frank Zombo, CB Steven Nelson, ILB Terrence Smith, WR Chris Conley

Players Already Signed Notes & Guesstimates
Damien Williams: OTC released details of the Williams extension, noting that it was 2 years, 5.1m with cap hits of 1.73 and 2.83 million in 2019 and 2020 respectively. Initial reports were that the contract was for an extra 3 million, so I'm wondering if there are missing details on unlikely to be earned performance escalators of 1.5m in each year. Either way, unlikely to be earned don't count against the cap and this saves on my estimate by about 1.3m per.

Austin Reiter: The extension for Reiter was released a couple weeks back and for all intensive purposes has cap hits of 1.46 and 2.76 million in 2019 and 2020 respectively.

Trades

The Chiefs franchise tag Dee Ford at the onset of free agency, then trade him to the Green Bay Packers along with their 2nd round pick from the Rams for a 2019 1st #30 (from Saints) and 2019 4th ~118 (from Redskins)

Cap Estimate Net of Transactions: 4.6m pre-June 1 / 6.1m post-June 1

Draft

Chiefs have a projected 6th round compensatory selection for Bennie Logan.

1. LB Mack Wilson, Alabama (6'1" 239)
1. CB Trayvon Mullen, Clemson (6'1" 190) [f/GB - Ford]
2. OL Michael Deiter, Wisconsin (6'5" 304)
3. SS Juan Thornhill, Virginia (6'1" 205)
4. WR Gary Jennings Jr., West Virginia(6'1" 215) [f/GB - Ford]
5. RB Elijah Holyfield, Georgia (5'10" 215)
6. FS Kareem Orr, Chattanooga (5'11" 195)
6. TE Kahale Warring, San Diego State (6'5" 250) [Comp - Logan]
7. WR Tony Brooks-James, Oregon (was RB) (5'9" 180) [f/SF - Streater]

Roster (Not representative of 53)

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Chase Litton
RB: Damien Williams, T.J. Yeldon, Elijah Holyfield, Darrel Williams
FB: Anthony Sherman
TE: Travis Kelce, Maxx Williams, Kahale Warring
WR: Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Gary Jennings Jr., Byron Pringle, Tony Brooks-James, Marcus Kemp, Gehrig Deiter
OT: Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz, Andrew Wylie (OG)
OG: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Michael Deiter (OT), Cameron Erving (OC), Ryan Hunter, Khalil McKenzie
OC: Austin Reiter, Jimmy Murray
DE: Chris Jones, Rodney Gunter, Joey Ivie
NT: Derrick Nnadi, Xavier Williams, Justin Hamilton
ED: Justin Houston, Preston Smith, Breeland Speaks, Shane Ray, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Rob McCray
LB: Anthony Hitchens, Mack Wilson, Dorian O'Daniel, Ben Niemann, Reggie Ragland
CB: Ronald Darby, Kendall Fuller, Trayvon Mullen, Charvarius Ward, Tremon Smith, D'Montre Wade
DS: Juan Thornhill, Andrew Adams, Jordan Lucas, Armani Watts, Kareem Orr, Eric Murray
ST: Harrison Butker, Dustin Colquitt, James Winchester
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:44 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Crow thinks your an idiot because if he has surgery it will be to repair a malady that is not football related and therefore would not prevent him from being cut.

Technically, if it is not football related, he would be right and Berry could be cut before his salary guarantees. But technically if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle...

Wait...shit...does that axiom work anymore? I mean what if she has balls but self-identifies as my aunt? Or a unicorn? And if she self-identifies as my aunt AND a unicorn does she now have a horn in lieu of said balls? I'm really confused...

In either event, that's the crux of the entire conversation. Crow believes the Chiefs can say that since this is something of a naturally occurring deformity, the Chiefs can have it declared non-injury related and cut him even if he has surgery to repair it. He is arguing this vociferously with me even though I was almost certainly the first person to suggest putting him on the NFI list in the damn original thread about it. The problem is, it's just pie in the sky dreaming. It will absolutely never fly. I wish to hell it were true and I would absolutely love being out from under Berry.

But if that were a possibility, the Chiefs would've probably NFI'd his ass as soon as the diagnosis came out and then moved on. I reiterate - they know better.
:-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
kccrow 09:23 PM 01-30-2019
Crow thinks your an idiot because if he has surgery it will be to repair a malady that is not football related and therefore would not prevent him from being cut.

Technically, if it is not football related, he would be right and Berry could be cut before his salary guarantees. But technically if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle...

Wait...shit...does that axiom work anymore? I mean what if she has balls but self-identifies as my aunt? Or a unicorn? And if she self-identifies as my aunt AND a unicorn does she now have a horn in lieu of said balls? I'm really confused...

In either event, that's the crux of the entire conversation. Crow believes the Chiefs can say that since this is something of a naturally occurring deformity, the Chiefs can have it declared non-injury related and cut him even if he has surgery to repair it. He is arguing this vociferously with me even though I was almost certainly the first person to suggest putting him on the NFI list in the damn original thread about it. The problem is, it's just pie in the sky dreaming. It will absolutely never fly. I wish to hell it were true and I would absolutely love being out from under Berry.

But if that were a possibility, the Chiefs would've probably NFI'd his ass as soon as the diagnosis came out and then moved on. I reiterate - they know better.
Nah, what I think is that assuming an arbitrator will go against contract law is silly. NFL contracts clearly state termination rights of the club. The only "axiom" being used here is assuming that an arbitrator will consider a non-football health concern to be a football injury and that this will be the reason the contract will be guaranteed for injury. Let's just remember that axioms aren't, for all intents and purposes, assumptions made by a single party or a relative few. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:39 PM 01-31-2019
It. Isn't. His. Contract. That. Governs.

C'mon man, as of right this very second his contract means nothing; his 2019 salary isn't (mostly) guaranteed until the league year starts. Stop referring to the terms of his contract, they don't matter because if that's all that did, this would be easy. The contract itself, right now, would leave him open to being cut but/for the additional protections of the CBA.

Those protections are mostly the injury related grievance provisions of the CBA. I'll point you to Article 44, Section 3 allowing for a grievance when a player's contract is terminated. Most notably 44(A)(4) and (6) speaking to allowable defenses from the club:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.n...u%201-5-15.pdf

Originally Posted by :
(4) That the player’s injury arose solely from a non-football-related cause
subsequent to the physical examination;
and

Originally Posted by :
(6) That subsequent to the physical examination the player suffered no football-related aggravation of a prior injury reducing his physical capacity below the existing at the time of his physical examination as contemporaneously recorded by the Club physician.
These are contained within the enumerated defenses specifically allowed by the teams; 6 speaks directly to this exact situation. The team must establish that either the injury didn't exist prior to a physical exam (we know that's not the case) or that no further aggravation of it drove his performance to a level below where it was at the time of the physical exam.

Berry's team has an easy response here - he WAS able to pass a physical. And he was seemingly healthy before camp started. And then camp started and through football related activities the condition was aggravated to a point where he was no longer to play at the same level. With rest, he was able to get back out and play but by playing it continued to aggravate the condition and again push him back below that performance level.

Aggravation of a pre-exisiting injury is absolutely sufficient per the terms of the CBA. If the team cannot establish that there was no aggravation, then they'll end losing an Article 44 grievance. Moreover, the express language of subsection 4 says it must arise SOLELY from a non-football related activity, again - the operative term is 'solely' and puts the onus back on the team to establish that this would still be an issue even had he never practiced a single snap.

There's no way they'll clear that hurdle, just none at all. Yes, they can try the argument and yes on its face it seems to make sense. But when you look into the mechanics of it, they can make that argument and they will lose.

This has nothing to do with a contract guaranteed for injury. It has nothing to do with anything contained within Eric Berry's contract specifically apart from the eventual (virtually) full guarantee on the 3rd day of the league year. What it concerns is whether or not they can cut him PRIOR to that 3rd day pursuant to the terms of the CBA. Article 44 says that if they try, they'll end up paying him anyway.

It's even more interesting when you get down into the presumption of fitness in Section 12 - if he passed a physical prior to camp, he's presumed fit so long as he disclosed any KNOWN conditions. That's just another hurdle they'll have to clear and while yes, you can generally overcome a presumption, it's worth noting that this is specifically not called a rebuttable presumption nor does the CBA provide a manner in which to overcome the presumption. Generally speaking in a provision that provides actual presumptions (contract or statute) there are also methods spelled out to overcome them. There's at least a solid chance that this is simply considered an irrebuttable presumption precisely to address situations like this one.

By my reading of it, they just cannot win this one. There's a presumption of health because the Chiefs passed him on his physical in camp. Even if that presumption is considered rebuttable (it may well not be), he was able to take the field with that condition for years and was deemed fit to practice at the start of camp. He took the field as well and will certainly testify that he felt capable of playing at his usual standard. By engaging in football activities he aggravated his condition to a point below his usual standard. With rest he recovered and when he started playing again, it got worse again, indicating that it was football related activities that led directly to the aggravation.

They will not win here. Your argument is the argument I was trying to formulate months ago when the Haglund's diagnosis first came out - it didn't take a lot of digging to realize that it wouldn't work. And the bottom line is that the Chiefs know this as well because if they didn't, they'd have NFI'd him already.

They were fucked the moment he passed his physical and took the field in St. Joe. The only thing that could salvage it for them is if Berry knew about the deformity and actively withheld the information. Even then, an arbitrator could easily rule that the Chiefs waived this entire argument given that they've subjected him to numerous physicals over the year and themselves either knew or should have known about the deformity. If they knew or should have know about the condition already, they can't very well use it to void any protections of the CBA.

There are so very few cracks for them to sneak in a W here that I simply do not see how you can be so categorically certain that you're right. Maybe they've hunted something up in that 300 pg agreement that I haven't - it's possible. I didn't read the whole thing; simply the portions I considered relevant. But I'm betting it's more digging than you've done especially since you STILL don't have the controlling document figured out (hint: it's not his player contract).

Based on absolutely anything I've read (and a COMPLETE lack of information from any source anywhere regarding a possible Non-Football Injury tag for Berry), I simply cannot see how you can conclude that there is a way to cut Berry and recover his cap figure.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:59 AM 02-01-2019
Where we disagree, DJ is specifically about these things.

Berry did not have to 100% pass a physical at training camp, and should the deformity have been known and the extent of it noted, then the club has every right to terminate his contract unless the player can prove, undoubtedly, that the aggravation left him to a lesser state than at the time of that notation. Berry, throughout the duration of camp, was listed on injury reports for this deformity so it was undoubtedly noted by the club physicians. That's my stance on this. Do also pay attention to Section 1 of that article and you'll see why I've been screaming about the contract portion. I disagree that Berry can win a grievance here. I will say that I do have my doubts, and I put them somewhere around 90%, that the club will cut Berry and it isn't on the premise of the injury. If I were the Chiefs, I'd definitely cut him and see if he tries to file a grievance.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:24 AM 02-01-2019
Thanks for the good discussion here guys. It’s been really good reading from my standpoint. Quality posts on both sides.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:48 AM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Where we disagree, DJ is specifically about these things.

Berry did not have to 100% pass a physical at training camp, and should the deformity have been known and the extent of it noted, then the club has every right to terminate his contract unless the player can prove, undoubtedly, that the aggravation left him to a lesser state than at the time of that notation. Berry, throughout the duration of camp, was listed on injury reports for this deformity so it was undoubtedly noted by the club physicians. That's my stance on this. Do also pay attention to Section 1 of that article and you'll see why I've been screaming about the contract portion. I disagree that Berry can win a grievance here. I will say that I do have my doubts, and I put them somewhere around 90%, that the club will cut Berry and it isn't on the premise of the injury. If I were the Chiefs, I'd definitely cut him and see if he tries to file a grievance.
I still think you have standard of proof issues that you're not quite calculating correctly.

You say the player has to prove, undoubtedly, that the aggravation caused the decline. I think you have it reversed based on how the CBA is written. I think it's on the club to prove that the aggravation did not. The burden falls to the team and that's why it's an allowed defense. All the player has to do is establish that he was in recovery at the time he was cut - the ball is then kicked back to the team's court and they have to establish that the recover was as a result of a non-football injury and that the aggravation is distinct from same.

By putting that burden on the Chiefs, you've changed bar significantly. It suddenly becomes a WWI kind of situation where the side trying to advance has a far more difficult row to hoe. With the Chiefs being the ones trying to take the trench, it's a hell of a lot easier for Berry with his barb wire and pillboxes to fend them off.

And my memory of the Berry/Camp situation is different than yours - yes, once camp started, he was on injury reports (because he immediately hit them), but I do not believe there was any indication of a potential heel problem prior to football activities beginning. Moreover, I don't think you're correct from a purely technical persepctive regarding his physical - From what I can find, the Chiefs cannot subject a player to practice, etc... without passing him on his physical. There isn't a "100% pass" or "60% pass" or whatever - either they passed him or they didn't. He was going to start camp so they HAD to have passed him. And if they did, the language of those sections trigger and appear clear on their face.

And really, none of that speaks to the waiver issue - if the Chiefs signed him to this deal or cleared him to play at any point, they could very well be barred from now raising it as a defense if the arbitrator rules that they were or should have been aware of it. At that point its an arms length transaction and if you allow teams to start jumping on those, you've really weakened those sections of the CBA completely.

As I read more of that stuff it's clear that those provisions aren't really designed for situations like Berry's present situation. They're designed for situations like his previous one - where his cancer simply prevented him from being able to play even a single snap. Or situations where a guy is playing pickup hoops and ruptures his ACL. They aren't designed for situations like this one where a condition doesn't make playing initially impossible, but rather makes the act of playing an activity that inherently degrades the guys ability. That's how this differs from the heart condition situation - the guy simply couldn't take the field and no amount of rest, no matter how long it was, was going to get him cleared to play.

Berry, OTOH, can sit and rehab and get himself into playable shape. Then by playing, the condition is aggravated to the point he can no longer play at that level. That just falls directly into that section 6 heading to me. And with the burden on the Chiefs to show that it doesn't AND that they shouldn't be deemed to have waived the defense....man, we're just on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd give them a 1 in 6 shot at it, maybe less. 10-15% would be the best shot I'd be comfortable giving them.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:36 AM 02-01-2019
I think we can agree DJ, that this situation comes down to the injury notation by team physicians at the time of the physical and throughout the season as to whether there was any substant change. If there was not, meaning his practice and/or playing aggravated the injury to a degree he could not practice or play at a level at or above that noted at the time of the physical, then Berry would have a case.

As this deformity is something that develops over time, the team and Berry very much could not have known that he'd ever have the current issue based on physicals in prior seasons so that can and likely will be moot.

As for the physical itself, all players are subject to a minimum physical per Appendix K (starts on page 291). You will see that this does not include the necessity to do any imaging on any part of the body other than the chest unless an area was previously injured. I believe this was the side Berry did not previously injure but I may be wrong there.

Do note Section 3, part 1 of the Injury Grievance as well, which may easily be in play here:
Originally Posted by :
That the player did not pass the physical examination administered by the Club physician at the beginning of the preseason training camp for the year in question. This defense will not be available if: (i) the Player was injured during offseason workouts at the club facility under the direction of a club official prior to not passing the physical examination or (ii) the player participated in any team drills following his physical ex-amination or in any preseason or regular season game; provided, however, that the Club physician may require the player to undergo certain exercises or activities, not team drills, to determine whether the player will pass the physical examination;

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:40 AM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I think we can agree DJ, that this situation comes down to the injury notation by team physicians at the time of the physical and throughout the season as to whether there was any substant change. If there was not, meaning his practice and/or playing aggravated the injury to a degree he could not practice or play at a level at or above that noted at the time of the physical, then Berry would have a case.

As this deformity is something that develops over time, the team and Berry very much could not have known that he'd ever have the current issue based on physicals in prior seasons so that can and likely will be moot.

As for the physical itself, all players are subject to a minimum physical per Appendix K (starts on page 291). You will see that this does not include the necessity to do any imaging on any part of the body other than the chest unless an area was previously injured. I believe this was the side Berry did not previously injure but I may be wrong there.

Do note Section 3, part 1 of the Injury Grievance as well, which may easily be in play here:
I thought Berry DID participate in team drills in the first day and that was what got him shut down.

It brings me back to my response to Meck in the other thread - there's so much ground to cover here that the fact that the national writers are just not mentioning it doesn't tell me that they have a clear answer - it tells me that they simply haven't considered it.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:47 AM 02-01-2019
I thought Berry DID participate in team drills in the first day and that was what got him shut down.

It brings me back to my response to Meck in the other thread - there's so much ground to cover here that the fact that the national writers are just not mentioning it doesn't tell me that they have a clear answer - it tells me that they simply haven't considered it.
We've been hashing this out over a couple weeks and don't have a clear answer. I don't think the writers would either. And the truth is the only people that do are the team and Berry because that medical information is protected.

You may be onto something with him participating early in camp and being shut down, it does seem to ring a bell. What I'm thinking is that it is very possible that he passed the physical, nothing was found, and then he participated and there was discomfort and they then dug deeper and found this going on. Being that, it's not entirely clear in the limited time I've scanned the CBA (and maybe I will look it over once more tonight) what would happen. One thing I do believe is true is that once the injury was found, it appeared the Chiefs did not have Berry practice or play. Then I think the question becomes if Berry decided to anyhow and that will fall under an exemption from grievance. I may be wrong.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 05:26 PM 02-02-2019
I think the more I think about our offense and the upcoming draft the more I lean towards wanting to use the couple picks we take on offensive guys to take players who have some physicality and dog in them.

Our offense is a lot of positive superlatives, but one word I wouldn't use right now is physical. Tyreek and Sammy aren't going to truck anyone, Williams really isn't the kind of guy to square you up and run through you.

I'd love to at least have one skill player on that side of the ball whose got some dog in him.

With that said, I like the Holyfield pick. I wish he was used as more of a pass catcher in Georgia's offense, because that's a skill set we need our backs to have.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up