ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 94
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 06:07 PM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
The metaphysical stuff is was I liked the most about season 1. I called it fake bullshit earlier because it turned out that's what it was in relation to what the show was actually doing. All the coolness of the first half of the season, the idea that we were seeing the unraveling of some conspiracy with supernatural overtones, completely vanished by the end of the show. The only thing that saved the first season was the relationship between Rust and Marty, built on the work of Harrelson and McConaughey. It started as a really cool looking show, and then ended like HBO's take on a standard procedural.

Now, admittedly, a lot of that was those of us talking up the early eps on the internet, treating the show like it was the new Lost for the first month it was on the air, for absolutely no reason. We know what we're dealing with now, and we can focus on stuff like performance and direction and artistry, and not get caught up in plot theorizing that ultimately ends in blue balls. So I think we could have a steadier, more consistent reaction. We already know Pizzolatto is not a genius.

So basically the reason I'm saying season 2 could potentially top season 1 is that it's just being what it is this time, instead of giving us all this false tease for a month. But in no way take that as a prediction. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

... but it wasn't simply "fake bullshit." The dissolved supernatural conspiracy of TD Vol. 1 should serve to viewers as a meta-commentary almost on life itself. There may or may not be some sort of malevolent group that wields a lot of control over society, but in the end to Marty and Rust, it didn't matter: they solved the case and skirted death.

There's something to be said there. I'm too preoccupied to take a stab at exactly what that is.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 06:23 PM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
The metaphysical stuff is was I liked the most about season 1. I called it fake bullshit earlier because it turned out that's what it was in relation to what the show was actually doing. All the coolness of the first half of the season, the idea that we were seeing the unraveling of some conspiracy with supernatural overtones, completely vanished by the end of the show. The only thing that saved the first season was the relationship between Rust and Marty, built on the work of Harrelson and McConaughey. It started as a really cool looking show, and then ended like HBO's take on a standard procedural.

Now, admittedly, a lot of that was those of us talking up the early eps on the internet, treating the show like it was the new Lost for the first month it was on the air, for absolutely no reason. We know what we're dealing with now, and we can focus on stuff like performance and direction and artistry, and not get caught up in plot theorizing that ultimately ends in blue balls. So I think we could have a steadier, more consistent reaction. We already know Pizzolatto is not a genius.

So basically the reason I'm saying season 2 could potentially top season 1 is that it's just being what it is this time, instead of giving us all this false tease for a month. But in no way take that as a prediction. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.
Well, there was a conspiracy. The mystical stuff was all of us getting inside Rust's head and his worldview. It also drops hints why exactly he adopted that philosophy, he killed his daughter by accident. His nihilism is his coping mechanism for the guilt he feels about it and how his life spiraled down in the immediate aftermath.

The same thing with the Yellow King. It was heavily hinted that he was also molested ("what they did to me" he says at one point) by the conspirators. He took their symbology for himself and basically became their leader through sheer violence.
[Reply]
tk13 06:28 PM 06-29-2015
I thought the first season was great. But I binge watched it after it was over and had zero knowledge of all the Lost-conspiracy stuff. I'd agree the last couple episodes weren't as strong as the middle... but it was still a great show and Marty/Rust's relationship was so well done.
[Reply]
eDave 06:34 PM 06-29-2015
Judging too early. This mess is going to collide spectacularly.

I personally don't think those were trophy heads. More like bestiality. Notice the sex swing?
[Reply]
tk13 06:50 PM 06-29-2015
Yeah I fully went in expecting this to be worse than season 1, but the last season didn't get going until the 3rd episode. They've certainly set up all the pieces for this to turn this storyline into a real entertaining mess, of course that can go both ways.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 07:48 PM 06-29-2015
As for the supernatural angle for season 1, everyone is aware (?) that the original ending was going to be Marty and Cohle disappear in the labyrinth without a trace, and are never seen or heard from again.

I think just as many people would be disappointed with that ending - just swapping out some, because there was of course always going to be that contingent that wasn't going to be satisfied with the ending no matter how it turned out.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 07:53 PM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by eDave:
Judging too early. This mess is going to collide spectacularly.

I personally don't think those were trophy heads. More like bestiality. Notice the sex swing?
The masks could simply be to maintain anonymity since there was that recording device setup out of sight.

I still say that something odd is up with Ani’s father. Him remarking on the totem poles with the giant bird and other animal heads carved into them. Plus, check out the painting in the shrink's office - the one that mentions knowing Ani’s dad.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:52 PM 06-29-2015
If he's alive they're kind of going off the deep end with the durability of their world-weary detectives, because in three episodes time Cohle will have survived a complete gutting by a 280 LB man and Velcoro would have survived a 12 gauge directly to the lower abdomen at point blank range. That would have turned his stomach into hamburger, and short of setting his ass on fire to cauterize the wounds, there is no way he's not bleeding out from that.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:58 PM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
If he's alive they're kind of going off the deep end with the durability of their world-weary detectives, because in three episodes time Cohle will have survived a complete gutting by a 280 LB man and Velcoro would have survived a 12 gauge directly to the lower abdomen at point blank range. That would have turned his stomach into hamburger, and short of setting his ass on fire to cauterize the wounds, there is no way he's not bleeding out from that.
Bulletproof vest. Shot is really light even compared to a bullet. It doesn't have the penetrating power to get through layered kevlar.

It will hurt a lot and leave some nasty bruising but not anywhere near fatal.
[Reply]
Brock 10:58 PM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Yep, that would kill your ass vest or not. But,

Spoiler warning for attachment
Attached: image.jpg (25.5 KB) 
[Reply]
eDave 12:25 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by Brock:
Yep, that would kill your ass vest or not. But,

Spoiler warning for attachment
Worst spoiler tag ever. :-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:28 AM 06-30-2015
I think they mentioned during the autopsy that it was birdshot, so assuming it's the same with Velcro. For whatever that's worth.
[Reply]
Hootie 11:02 AM 06-30-2015
I'll never get over the little girls drawings in season 1 that literally never led to anything
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:11 AM 06-30-2015
I'm really enjoying Season 2 but I'm not in any way comparing it to Season 1.

It's a completely different story with completely different characters, actors, vibe and direction.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:15 AM 06-30-2015
I enjoyed the 2nd episode much better than the first. I grew up on a combo of Skinamax and USA Up All Night and this has a more polished feel, plus I'm a sucker for anything toxic waste. Vaughn going Vaughn with the whole "why would anyone want to hurt ya, buddy?" was more than corny, but it's growing on me.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 94
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066 > Last »
Up