ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 94
« First < 283435363738 394041424888 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
SAUTO 12:14 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Yeah, I think that's basically how it was for me. Too obvious a bad guy, too clean a resolution that at the same time left too many threads unresolved. As was the case for the rest of the series the leads did a great job, but I just didn't find the episode all that satisfying. Why bother to introduce all the interesting shit the first 5 or 6 weeks, just to have it fizzle into Hart and Cohle stop wackjob sister-****ing pedophile at the end.

Still, taken as a whole, likely in the running with GoT for the best thing we'll see on TV this year, and you can probably go ahead and hand McConaughey his emmy now.
because that was just the vehicle for the actual story.

the story was about the two detectives and their relationship together and with themselves
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 12:16 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
It was like a swirling cosmic vortex. I think it has to be Rust's way of seeing the enormity of the situation. Also it was probably a manifestation for Rust of The Yellow King's spiral totem.
Yeah I had a wtf moment seeing that...makes sense that Rust is the one that saw it instead of Marty
[Reply]
Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12:18 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Maybe it's because I didn't really go that deep into all the mystery/easter egg stuff like many others seemingly did, but I had absolutely no problem with a straightforward conclusion there. I think there may have been more interesting ways to go with it (some of the theories brought forward were quite intriguing), but this show was never really about that. It was always only a narrative structure in the character study of Cohle and Hart.
Yeah. I was way more a fan of the actual show than all the internet losers trying to put their prints on it.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:24 PM 03-10-2014
they told everyone from the beginning there wasn't some crazy twist.

I don't know why people are pissed at this point.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:39 PM 03-10-2014
Loved the ending...
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:56 PM 03-10-2014
http://thinkprogress.org/culture/201...ctive-failed/#

Decent essay on the disappointment, but I enjoyed the finale immensely despite the objections. I was too entranced by what happened to worry all that much about what didn't, and I still largely don't care.
[Reply]
NewChief 03:23 PM 03-10-2014
Good article about next season:

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/10/what...tive_season_2/
What’s going on with “True Detective” Season 2?
HBO hasn't officially ordered it yet, but the show creator has outlined some vague plans for the next season

It’s rare for a television show — especially a drama that becomes a hit in its first season — to totally scrap its existing characters and story line to start anew in Season 2. But that’s what “True Detective” is doing — at least, that is what it seems to be doing, based on the few clues that show creator Nic Pizzolatto has shared with television critics in recent interviews.

HitFix’s Alan Sepinwall notes that HBO hasn’t officially ordered Season 2
yet — again, a stalling that’s rare for a hit series so popular that it brings down its hosts site — but surmises that this is “because I suspect HBO is waiting until they’ve signed the actors they want before announcing.”

There are a few things we do know about Season 2 of “True Detective,” however: Pizzolatto is currently “fleshing it out,” he told EW, and it will be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.

And the Chicago Tribune claims that Matthew McConaughey, who played detective Rust Cohle alongside Woody Harrelson as Marty Hart, won’t be back:

The show was always intended as an anthology with a new story each season. The surprise survival of both Rust Cohle and Marty Hart at the end of Season 1 suggested at least one could return, someday. But McConaughey has said he never planned to stay beyond one season. “It was a 450-page film, is what it was,” McConaughey said of the show’s first season during a January Television Critics Association panel. “It was also finite. It didn’t mean we had to come back this year, next year if we were under contract. It was finite. So in that way it was exactly a 450-page film script.”

Cohle and Hart are probably not coming back, but Pizzolatto has retained the literary rights to his protagonists. “So maybe you will see Cohle and Hart novels down the road after Hollywood kicks me out. Always a possibility,” he told EW.

And it’s not just the cast and story that will change — the entire directorial style, overseen in Season 1 by Cary Fukunaga, is likely to change, too. Pizzolatto told BuzzFeed via email:

We don’t have any plans to work with one director again. It would be impossible to do this yearly as we need to be able to do post while we’re still filming, like any other show. There’s some great guys I’ve consulted, and we’re all confident we can achieve the same consistency. Going forward, I want the show’s aesthetic to remain determinedly naturalistic, with room for silences and vastness, and an emphasis on landscape and culture. And I hope a story that presents new characters in a new place with authenticity and resonance and an authorial voice consistent with this season. Dominant colors will change. South Louisiana was green and burnished gold.

It seems like the freshman show is already being gutted, left with skeletal remains that, once filled in again, might not even resemble its original form. One thing that we do know about Season 1 that will carry over from season 2 — perhaps the most important thing — is that the philosophical detective drama will continue with the same spirit — “keep being strange.”

“Don’t play the next one straight,” Pizzolatto told HitFix.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 07:23 PM 03-10-2014
This is really good.

[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 08:27 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Maybe it's because I didn't really go that deep into all the mystery/easter egg stuff like many others seemingly did, but I had absolutely no problem with a straightforward conclusion there. I think there may have been more interesting ways to go with it (some of the theories brought forward were quite intriguing), but this show was never really about that. It was always only a narrative structure in the character study of Cohle and Hart.
That's the big issue with folks trying to find clues that don't exist. I thought the conclusion was fantastic, the final scene with the killer was exceptional.

I don't know how anybody could be disappointed with this series finale.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 08:29 PM 03-10-2014
Oh, and because we haven't given it enough attention: "L'chaim, fat ass" was perfect.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 08:37 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by Aries Walker:
Oh, and because we haven't given it enough attention: "L'chaim, fat ass" was perfect.
I'll be honest. That was lost on me.

Help me out?
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:42 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
That's the big issue with folks trying to find clues that don't exist. I thought the conclusion was fantastic, the final scene with the killer was exceptional.

I don't know how anybody could be disappointed with this series finale.
I think you can piece some things together. I am pretty sure that the Yellow King and his half sister were probably abused and molested by the Tuttle clan.

Well, we know the Yellow King was abused the old black lady says his scars were something his daddy did to him.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 08:52 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by KcMizzou:
I'll be honest. That was lost on me.

Help me out?
It's a Jewish toast, meaning "to life". He was more or less saying "Peace out, fatass", just with more style.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 09:02 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Yeah, I think that's basically how it was for me. Too obvious a bad guy, too clean a resolution that at the same time left too many threads unresolved. As was the case for the rest of the series the leads did a great job, but I just didn't find the episode all that satisfying. Why bother to introduce all the interesting shit the first 5 or 6 weeks, just to have it fizzle into Hart and Cohle stop wackjob sister-****ing pedophile at the end.

Still, taken as a whole, likely in the running with GoT for the best thing we'll see on TV this year, and you can probably go ahead and hand McConaughey his emmy now.
The show was never about the bad guys, it was always straight forward with them having them killed quickly several times before. The unclean resolutions were about how bad the good guys are, that never changed.
[Reply]
noa 09:05 PM 03-10-2014
I was fully satisfied with the finale. People looking for some grand examination of the minutiae of the torture club were bound to be dissatisfied. The ending gave us a killer and kept alive the idea of the conspiracy without wasting our time showing us exactly who was involved when. But more importantly, we got the immensely gratifying conversion of Cohle at the end. That was a hell of a scene.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 38 of 94
« First < 283435363738 394041424888 > Last »
Up