ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 27
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones - Making Him the Highest Paid Defender in the League
dlphg9 07:52 PM 03-07-2020
Why couldn't we do it? Khalil Mack, the highest paid defensive player in the league right now had cap hits of $13.8 mil in yr 1 of his new deal and $11.9 mil in yr 2. Macks avg yearly salary is $23.5 mil per year.

Veach doesn't seem to like giving guys contracts past the age of 30, so I could see him doing a 5 yr $120 mil deal. That keeps Jones in KC until age 30 and we get all his prime years and don't run the risk of having to pay him a ton of money after he's 30. Him being a 2nd rounder is going to help him in negotiating.

If we structure the contract so that his cap hit is $13 mil in year 1 and $15 mil in year 2, we have him cheap when we are tight with the cap this year and then next year there should be a decent jump in the cap and we're not out $8 mil because of Eric Berrys dead money. The cap should raise significantly for the remaining 3 years of his contract and it wont burden us with trying to get other good players.

There are several factors that should allow him to become the highest paid defender in the league.

1. He is an absolute beast. I am higher on his run D than most, but no one can argue that he is not, at worst, the 2nd best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. Personally, I put him right next to Aaron Donald when it comes to pass rushing. Now someone smarter than me correct me please, but has there ever been a better pass rusher at that position than those 2? His impact in the Super Bowl will be a big bargaining chip for him during negotiations as well

2. He is only 25 years old. Veach is smart. He doesn't like giving out big money to old guys and he's not going to extend guys into the twilight of their careers and pay them tons of money. Luckily for Chris Jones he is only 25 and a 5 year deal puts him at 30 years old. Veach wants to keep guys that still have their best years ahead of him and the prime age for a DT is 28 according to PFF, so that means in theory we haven't even seen the best Chris Jones and Brett Veach isn't going to just let that walk away.

3. The new CBA. When the top paid defenders signed their deals there were only 16 regular season game and now neverything is pointing to a 17 game regular season, so contracts are going to reflect that. Prior to the news about the newest CBA coming a year early my best guess was that CJ was going to get $21.5 mil a year from the Chiefs, since Frank Clark is basically getting $21 mil a year. $21.5 mil a year breaks down to $1.34 mil per regular season game, so that extra game should pay an additional $1.34 mil a year and that alone puts CJs yearly avg to just under $23 million a year. That hasn't even taken into account the increase in the percentage of profit the players are getting.

Chris Jones is one of my favorite players on the team and is probably my favorite player on the defense. I hope we keep him even if we have to pay him more money per year than any other defender in the history of the league. My love for Chris Jones may cloud my judgement and make me irrational and I may be completely wrong in my train of thought, but I dont think signing Jones long term is detrimental to the future success of this team whatsoever. I actually believe it would be insanely stupid and detrimental to let a generational talent like Chris Jones walk because we got some draft picks for him. Chris Jones's skills are only matched by one other player at his position and those 2 may be the best pass rushers we have ever seen at d tackle and I don't think anyone else is even close. You can't replace his production and trading him is an awful idea.
[Reply]
BossChief 07:47 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Why does everyone always act like Aaron Rodgers was some mistreated player that the Packers didn't do enough to help him succeed on offense? This is the record/off rank/def rank of the Packers since Rodgers became starter-

08 - 6-10/5th/22nd
09 - 11-5/3rd/7th
10 - 10-6/10th/2nd/SB champs
11 - 15-1/1st/19th
12 - 11-5/5th/11th
13 - 8-7-1/8th/24th
14 - 12-4/1st/13th
15 - 10-6/15th/12th
16 - 10-6/4th/22nd
17 - 7-9/21st/26th (Rodgers played in only 7 games)
18 - 6-9-1/14th/22nd
19 - 13-3/15th/9th

They had an offense that was ranked in the top 5 for 6 out of his first 9 seasons. Sure the offense haand been as good the last couple years, but id say some of that has to do with the fact that Rodgers is getting older. If anything this proves you need to keep your all pro defenders cuz AR only 1 SB and that was when the D was the 2nd best in the league. In every single playoff loss the Packers scored 20 or more points and averaged 27 points a game. Hell in 2009 they lost 51-45 in the playoffs. The D gave up an average of 36 fucking points a game. This is why you keep the impact players on D. They make that whole side of the ball better.
Thanks for doing all that to prove my point that we need to keep Chris Jones.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 08:00 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
The talent drops when you remove one of the best players off your defense...losing average/replaceable players makes no discernible difference.

Paying too much for average players hurts your team...*see Hitchens*.

Highly drafting players that dont impact your team hurts them too..*see Speaks*

Hope this cleared that bit of confusion up...

Trading Jones will leave a void...take Oakland for example. They traded Mack but kept Carr. They ended up using their #4 overall pick to replace him (Ferrell)...then spent the Mack pick on a RB. They used their Cooper pick on a safety that played one game...and are likely to use their first 2020 pick on a WR to replace him.

That's a terrible return...they got a safety and a RB (so far) for Mack and Cooper. They had already spent draft picks #4 overall (Cooper) and #5 overall (Mack)...then have to spend another #4 overall to replace him (Mack). They are now going to use ANOTHER high #1 pick on a WR.
A terrible return? They got a guy at running back who is going to be a pro bowl caliber player for the next several years in Jacobs. We will see how they use their second first rounder this year at the 19th pick. That is draft picks ALONE. You never touched on how they are spending the $23.5 million a year in cap savings ON TOP of the draft picks. If you think the Bears got the better end of that deal you're crazy. Raiders are ascending. Bears are descending. Much in large part to that trade. Mack has been healthy and producing as well. What happens if he gets dinged up this year (which I fear with Jones)? The Bears completely unravel.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:23 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
A terrible return? They got a guy at running back who is going to be a pro bowl caliber player for the next several years in Jacobs. They are likely going to use the other first rounder this year on Jeudy or Lamb who are both elite receivers. That is draft picks ALONE. You never touched on how they are spending the $23.5 million a year in cap savings. If you think the Bears got the better end of that deal you're crazy. Raiders are ascending. Bears are descending. Much in large part to that trade.
The fact that used one of those 1st round draft picks they got on a RB is so stupid. I'd be completely pissed if the Chiefs wasted a 1st round pick on a RB and then if it were a pick that we got for a HOF talent in his prime I'd be livid. You can find equally talented backs in the mid rounds.

The Bears aren't descending because of that trade. They are descending because they're idiots and traded up one spot to get a terrible ****ing QB. If they had even an average QB they'd be decent. I wouldn't consider one 7-9 season as ascending either, especially when you look at the team's the Raiders beat.

Broncos
Colts
Bears
Lions
Chargers
Bengals
Chargers

37-75

Not one of those teams had winning records. Hell they beat the Bears and the Bears still had a better record than the Raiders. The Bears even made it to the playoffs since that trade and went 12-4.

Also that trade is not the reason for the Bears being shitty. Its because they have shitty Turdbiscuit as their QB. The Bears would be damn good if the QB was even mediocre, because they have an elite defense. Why is that defense so elite now? Probably because they traded for Mack.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:31 AM 03-11-2020
A terrible return? They got a guy at running back who is going to be a pro bowl caliber player for the next several years in Jacobs. We will see how they use their second first rounder this year at the 19th pick. That is draft picks ALONE. You never touched on how they are spending the $23.5 million a year in cap savings ON TOP of the draft picks. If you think the Bears got the better end of that deal you're crazy. Raiders are ascending. Bears are descending. Much in large part to that trade. Mack has been healthy and producing as well. What happens if he gets dinged up this year (which I fear with Jones)? The Bears completely unravel.
You added this ignorant shit after I already quoted you. It's football. People get injured. What happens if Mahomes gets his big deal and gets injured? He's been hurt before so why don't you fear that he will be injured again? People using this god damn Berry and Houston got injured, so now everyone we sign long term will get injured is fucking retarded. We just gave Clark a big deal and howd that turn out? God damn people are stupid.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 08:41 AM 03-11-2020
Two firsts has to be the minimum to have a seat at the table on a trade for Jones. Forget this firsr and third bullshit. If Jones is everything his fanatics claim he is, two firsts is the start point for negotiations and really shouldnt be a question.

Otherwise, dude needs to swallow his pride, play on the tag, and get his extension next offseason. If the guy simply cannot grasp why we are paying Mahomes first, and is going to go all butt hurt and think his production is not recognized or appreciated, then he probably should just move on.

But there isnt a fucking player in the world that would get a contract before Mahomes. So this butthurt and mixed emotions, i just dont have any tolerance for.

Hey Chris. The dude getting paid before you, He's the reason you have that ring on your finger. You might remember having a front row seat tgere on the sideline in your streetclothes for the 24-0 divisional game in the playoffs. You know, the one where he rattled off 7 straight TD drives, then a fg on the 8th.

Get over it.
[Reply]
Rausch 08:44 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Two firsts has to be the minimum to have a seat at the table on a trade for Jones. Forget this firsr and third bullshit. If Jones is everything his fanatics claim he is, two firsts is the start point for negotiations and really shouldnt be a question.

Otherwise, dude needs to swallow his pride, play on the tag, and get his extension next offseason.
Honestly it makes more sense for him to do this. Jones will make more money playing under the tag this year and signing long term after the new CBA is worked out...
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 08:47 AM 03-11-2020
You added this ignorant shit after I already quoted you. It's football. People get injured. What happens if Mahomes gets his big deal and gets injured? He's been hurt before so why don't you fear that he will be injured again? People using this god damn Berry and Houston got injured, so now everyone we sign long term will get injured is ****ing retarded. We just gave Clark a big deal and howd that turn out? God damn people are stupid.
Unless youre clairvoyant, we dont know how the Clark deal turned out. Hes played one season of the deal. If he destroys his knee in training camp is it still great? Pops an Achilles after? Some will say the trophy makes it worth every penny already.

That Mahomes point is just fucking stupid bro.

We are fucked if Mahomes goes down no matter how much hes paid. You don't send him to another team to avoid paying him. Hes the best player on the planet.

I wouldn't give 2 shits if the Chiefs had to face Jones twice a year. Imagining Mahomes on another team? Fuck football forever.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 09:34 AM 03-11-2020
You added this ignorant shit after I already quoted you. It's football. People get injured. What happens if Mahomes gets his big deal and gets injured? He's been hurt before so why don't you fear that he will be injured again? People using this god damn Berry and Houston got injured, so now everyone we sign long term will get injured is ****ing retarded. We just gave Clark a big deal and howd that turn out? God damn people are stupid.
1.) I want to see what kind of money Jones is asking for and what our possible draft compensation is before I make a stand one way or the other. This thread is based off the assumption he is asking to be paid as one of the highest defenders in the league.

2.) Jones was on the sideline holding his dick in his hand during our most important game of the year with a fricken calf strain while we went down 24-0. Mahomes' leg could have literally been falling off before you could drag that dude off the field during a game of that importance. Please dont compare the two in that regards. It's a GD embarrassment! Shit the Eagles backup quarterback played the entire game with his hamstring literally falling off the bone! You think Brett Favre would have sat a playoff game with a calf strain? Ronnie Lott? Hell even Mitchell Schwartz? I'm sorry if I hesitate to hand this cat $100 million.

3.) Yes, injuries ARE a part of the game. If you devote too much of your cap to a handful of players and they deal with serious injuries you screw yourself and you screw Mahomes during his prime. An argument can be made to trade Jones for two high draft picks and an extra $20 million a year in cap. That is 4-5 high level staters for the price of Chris Jones. It's called "diversify" look it up if you don't understand.

4.) With Mahomes we will always be players for the top level free agents and often times they will be willing to take significant discounts for a shot at a SB ring (i.e. Chris Harris Jr.) I personally would like to see us have the opportunity to pursue these stud free agents at a discounted price every offseason rather than being handcuffed by the salary cap.
[Reply]
BlackOp 10:36 AM 03-11-2020
A terrible return? You never touched on how they are spending the $23.5 million a year in cap savings ON TOP of the draft picks.
Your math sucks...Ferrell and Jacobs combined cost is around $43 million and that isn't factoring the additional pick this year. This is on top of having to use another #4 overall to replace Mack with an inferior player...that pick could have been used elsewhere or to move down.

How much is the #4 overall pick worth...that has to be factored in when calculating the cost.

Ferrell notched 4.5 sacks....

If KC keeps Jones, they are set at DL and Safety for a while. They can use the draft for CB and LB.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 10:44 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Your math sucks...Ferrell and Jacobs combined cost is around $43 million and that isn't factoring the pick this year. This is on top of having to use another #4 overall to replace Mack...which could have been used elsewhere or to get more picks.

How much is the #4 overall pick worth?

Ferrell notched 4.5 sacks....
WTF are you talking about? They are both on rookie contracts. Jacobs' cap hit last year was just over $2,000,000. Ferrell was around $5.7 million as a top five pick.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:57 AM 03-11-2020
Not that this affects Chris Jones but props to the Raiders for raping Chicago. They clearly won that trade.

And the free money they have for not spending on Mack could likely go to Byron Jones.
[Reply]
BlackOp 10:59 AM 03-11-2020
WTF are you talking about? They are both on rookie contracts. Jacobs' cap hit last year was just over $2,000,000. Ferrell was around $5.7 million as a top five pick.
$43 million is their combined rookie contracts...#4 and #24.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:59 AM 03-11-2020
Byron Jones is not good
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:08 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Not that this affects Chris Jones but props to the Raiders for raping Chicago. They clearly won that trade.

And the free money they have for not spending on Mack could likely go to Byron Jones.
That's up for debate...if Trubisky was playing at a competent level, they would be a perennial playoff team.

Are you suggesting that paying Bryon Jones was worth losing Mack and the 4th overall pick to replace him?
[Reply]
MahiMike 11:14 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by e3263518:
So calling another forum member in a completely unprovoked manner "a stupid mother****er" and "kill yourself" is cool? Some of you here sure do have some strange logic. There was nothing cool or funny about what he wrote. And he doesn't have testicles big enough to say shit like that to me in person because he would not like the outcome.
You must be new here.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 27
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up