ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 27
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones - Making Him the Highest Paid Defender in the League
dlphg9 07:52 PM 03-07-2020
Why couldn't we do it? Khalil Mack, the highest paid defensive player in the league right now had cap hits of $13.8 mil in yr 1 of his new deal and $11.9 mil in yr 2. Macks avg yearly salary is $23.5 mil per year.

Veach doesn't seem to like giving guys contracts past the age of 30, so I could see him doing a 5 yr $120 mil deal. That keeps Jones in KC until age 30 and we get all his prime years and don't run the risk of having to pay him a ton of money after he's 30. Him being a 2nd rounder is going to help him in negotiating.

If we structure the contract so that his cap hit is $13 mil in year 1 and $15 mil in year 2, we have him cheap when we are tight with the cap this year and then next year there should be a decent jump in the cap and we're not out $8 mil because of Eric Berrys dead money. The cap should raise significantly for the remaining 3 years of his contract and it wont burden us with trying to get other good players.

There are several factors that should allow him to become the highest paid defender in the league.

1. He is an absolute beast. I am higher on his run D than most, but no one can argue that he is not, at worst, the 2nd best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. Personally, I put him right next to Aaron Donald when it comes to pass rushing. Now someone smarter than me correct me please, but has there ever been a better pass rusher at that position than those 2? His impact in the Super Bowl will be a big bargaining chip for him during negotiations as well

2. He is only 25 years old. Veach is smart. He doesn't like giving out big money to old guys and he's not going to extend guys into the twilight of their careers and pay them tons of money. Luckily for Chris Jones he is only 25 and a 5 year deal puts him at 30 years old. Veach wants to keep guys that still have their best years ahead of him and the prime age for a DT is 28 according to PFF, so that means in theory we haven't even seen the best Chris Jones and Brett Veach isn't going to just let that walk away.

3. The new CBA. When the top paid defenders signed their deals there were only 16 regular season game and now neverything is pointing to a 17 game regular season, so contracts are going to reflect that. Prior to the news about the newest CBA coming a year early my best guess was that CJ was going to get $21.5 mil a year from the Chiefs, since Frank Clark is basically getting $21 mil a year. $21.5 mil a year breaks down to $1.34 mil per regular season game, so that extra game should pay an additional $1.34 mil a year and that alone puts CJs yearly avg to just under $23 million a year. That hasn't even taken into account the increase in the percentage of profit the players are getting.

Chris Jones is one of my favorite players on the team and is probably my favorite player on the defense. I hope we keep him even if we have to pay him more money per year than any other defender in the history of the league. My love for Chris Jones may cloud my judgement and make me irrational and I may be completely wrong in my train of thought, but I dont think signing Jones long term is detrimental to the future success of this team whatsoever. I actually believe it would be insanely stupid and detrimental to let a generational talent like Chris Jones walk because we got some draft picks for him. Chris Jones's skills are only matched by one other player at his position and those 2 may be the best pass rushers we have ever seen at d tackle and I don't think anyone else is even close. You can't replace his production and trading him is an awful idea.
[Reply]
Jerok 07:42 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
I dont understand the logic that you arent invested in winning now (and in the future) by considering trading Jones. Approximately 20 million in cap savings and at worst a first and third rounder. Take your pick of pretty much any two free agents and likely a top 20 draft pick. People acting like you are punting on next year by trading Jones I'd almost argue the opposite.
I agree, it makes too much sense. Besides I want MVPennell to get a shot as our run stuffing DT. If the other team cant run on us, then their QB is going to have to outthrow Mahomes. Good luck.
[Reply]
BlackOp 08:20 PM 03-10-2020
You build your lines and QB...KC moves Jones, it might take years to replace him.

Draft picks dont mean shit...Speaks and K-pass were both 2nd rounders. hell...Leonard Williams was considered a no-brainer steal when the Jets got him at #5 overall. Jones has nearly twice the amount of sacks....Rated #2 in the NFL.

You dont trade away home-grown top talent...
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:28 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Has anyone even offered a 1st yet? The best I've heard is a 2nd.
Where you hearing this? No team can offer anything until we tag him and etc. I am calling BS. Most speculation is on a 1st and 3rd this year or a 1st this year and a 1st next year.
[Reply]
BlackOp 08:31 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Where you hearing this? No team can offer anything until we tag him and etc. I am calling BS. Most speculation is on a 1st and 3rd this year or a 1st this year and a 1st next year.
2 first round picks is the starting point...like I said earlier, teams drafting top 10 DL are HOPING he might be as good a Jones. The odds of that pick turning into the 2nd best in the NFL are pretty slim...
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:32 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I’m pretty sure I read a story not two weeks ago on arrowhead pride or something where it was rumored the Colts were considering offering at least a second round pick for Jones. I’m in the middle of something right now or I’d look it up myself.
[Reply]
BlackOp 08:55 PM 03-10-2020
I’m pretty sure I read a story not two weeks ago on arrowhead pride or something where it was rumored the Colts were considering offering at least a second round pick for Joannes. I’m in the middle of something right now or I’d look it up myself.
31 teams would give up a 2nd round pick for Jones...
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:20 PM 03-10-2020
I’m pretty sure I read a story not two weeks ago on arrowhead pride or something where it was rumored the Colts were considering offering at least a second round pick for Joannes. I’m in the middle of something right now or I’d look it up myself.
Not an offer.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BossChief 09:40 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Coogs:
I don't know BC. I'm not saying you are wrong. But right now, IMO, we only have one guy that we have to keep regardless of the cost. The QB. Everyone else is replaceable. Again, this is IMO.
Tell Aaron Rodgers that.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:13 PM 03-10-2020
The best I've heard is a 2nd.
ESPN speculation
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:25 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Tell Aaron Rodgers that.
Why does everyone always act like Aaron Rodgers was some mistreated player that the Packers didn't do enough to help him succeed on offense? This is the record/off rank/def rank of the Packers since Rodgers became starter-

08 - 6-10/5th/22nd
09 - 11-5/3rd/7th
10 - 10-6/10th/2nd/SB champs
11 - 15-1/1st/19th
12 - 11-5/5th/11th
13 - 8-7-1/8th/24th
14 - 12-4/1st/13th
15 - 10-6/15th/12th
16 - 10-6/4th/22nd
17 - 7-9/21st/26th (Rodgers played in only 7 games)
18 - 6-9-1/14th/22nd
19 - 13-3/15th/9th

They had an offense that was ranked in the top 5 for 6 out of his first 9 seasons. Sure the offense haand been as good the last couple years, but id say some of that has to do with the fact that Rodgers is getting older. If anything this proves you need to keep your all pro defenders cuz AR only 1 SB and that was when the D was the 2nd best in the league. In every single playoff loss the Packers scored 20 or more points and averaged 27 points a game. Hell in 2009 they lost 51-45 in the playoffs. The D gave up an average of 36 fucking points a game. This is why you keep the impact players on D. They make that whole side of the ball better.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:09 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by IUsedToBeATightEnd:
How can you compare a player at the end of his career, and another one who's been "day by day and no play" for the past few years, to a healthy beast in his prime such as Jones
I think his point is that if you pay one player too much the rest of the talent level of the team drops.
[Reply]
Rausch 01:12 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Tell Aaron Rodgers that.
No one made him ask for that contract.

I don't blame a guy for getting what he can. His right. That said don't act like the team is failing because you are 20% of your team's cap (sarcastic over estimation.)
[Reply]
JakeF 01:34 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
31 teams would give up a 2nd round pick for Jones...
If Jones is as good as everyone here says then he should have much more value than a 2nd round pick.

Khalil Mack(/w conditional 2nd and 5th) was traded to Chicago for two 1sts, a 3rd a 6th. Chicago made Mack the highest-paid defender in NFL history.

Another example is Frank Clark he was 25yrs old when we gave up a 1st and 2nd pick for Clark along with a 100m dollar contract.

Mack was 27, Clark was 25 when they were traded.

Chris Jones is 25 now, so how did it go from getting all that for Mack/Clark to talking about getting a 2nd for jones?

If Jones is that good then a 1st and 3rd should be the starting point for any trade. If Jones isn't good enough to be worth a 1st and 3rd then we probably shouldn't be giving him a huge contract.
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:20 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I think his point is that if you pay one player too much the rest of the talent level of the team drops.
The talent drops when you remove one of the best players off your defense...losing average/replaceable players makes no discernible difference.

Paying too much for average players hurts your team...*see Hitchens*.

Highly drafting players that dont impact your team hurts them too..*see Speaks*

Hope this cleared that bit of confusion up...

Trading Jones will leave a void...take Oakland for example. They traded Mack but kept Carr. They ended up using their #4 overall pick to replace him (Ferrell)...then spent the Mack pick on a RB. They used their Cooper pick on a safety that played one game...and are likely to use their first 2020 pick on a WR to replace him.

That's a terrible return...they got a safety and a RB (so far) for Mack and Cooper. They had already spent draft picks #4 overall (Cooper) and #5 overall (Mack)...then have to spend another #4 overall to replace him (Mack). They are now going to use ANOTHER high #1 pick on a WR.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 06:36 AM 03-11-2020
What happens to Jones is an Andy OG call. He needs a team for Mahomes. Tag and trade. We need the picks more than another guy breaking the bank on the DL.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 27
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up