ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 57
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:53 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by Shogun:
Am I allowed to shameless plug my business in here?
I’m not sure what the official rules are but typically if you just do it once and aren’t obnoxious about it you won’t catch hell
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:56 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Dad bought one for some fences around our bags and it wouldn’t dig dry dirt to save its ass. Then some help we had broke a hole in the fuel tank.

But if he is doing this to save money he’s not going to want to fork over cash for that. Digging postholes with a post hole digger isn’t bad. As long as you don’t have to do a half mile of them at a time.
I’m thinking about renting an Auger. I have 14-15 (110 ft) holes to dig. Probably doing most of the work myself.

It’s supposed to be a bit for the next few days so I’m hoping it’ll soften the ground up.

Post hole digger is $50. I’m assuming it’s going to take a full day and overnight to dig, add 4x4’s, concrete and let them get set.

If I have 8’ posts do I dig 2 ft down and concrete them in? Or dig the 2’ throw in concrete, then the post and finish with more concrete? As to not have wood direct contact to the soil.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:29 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
I’m thinking about renting an Auger. I have 14-15 (110 ft) holes to dig. Probably doing most of the work myself.

It’s supposed to be a bit for the next few days so I’m hoping it’ll soften the ground up.

Post hole digger is $50. I’m assuming it’s going to take a full day and overnight to dig, add 4x4’s, concrete and let them get set.

If I have 8’ posts do I dig 2 ft down and concrete them in? Or dig the 2’ throw in concrete, then the post and finish with more concrete? As to not have wood direct contact to the soil.
For 14-15 I wouldn’t rent an auger. Just call that your workout for the day.

I’m not sure it matters much. Just be sure you get treated posts and you’ll be fine.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:16 AM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Bailing twine. Or chefs string, you probably have that on hand. Just make the knot loose as hell.
Yep, I definitely have some cooking twine. :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:27 PM 03-30-2018
All planted. But how often and how long should I sprinkler?

[Reply]
Stewie 03:40 PM 03-30-2018
I did a garden for years. Too much work, and there are others that do it better.

I hit the local farmer's markets for fresh produce from May through October. Way better and cheaper than the expense of doing it myself.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:06 PM 03-30-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:

Depends on rainfall. But I guarantee far less often than I would have to.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:32 PM 03-30-2018

:-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:02 PM 04-07-2018
First sprouts of the season!

[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:11 PM 04-07-2018
First sprouts of the season!

They may decide to go back under with all the global warming we're experiencing! :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:14 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
They may decide to go back under with all the global warming we're experiencing! :-)

I’m in Alabama, dude. We’re good here.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:15 PM 04-07-2018
I’m in Alabama, dude. We’re good here.
:-)
[Reply]
lewdog 08:19 PM 05-24-2018
I do have some pictures from early last week. I have one cherry tomato plant that produces literally thousands of cherry tomatoes in a year here. It's fucking massive. 6 feet tall and close to that wide. It just produces and produces and never stops until about late June. Plan is to keep it alive through the summer and it will continue producing again come September and all through fall and early winter. Others have told me you can keep a single cherry tomato plant alive for years here and it will continue producing.

And the early girl tomato produces very well too. Lots of great shaped tomatoes with great color to them.

That's a 3 year old grapevine that I grew along the pool fence. First year it's been loaded with grapes.

[Reply]
srvy 08:27 PM 05-24-2018
How do you keep the birds out of those grapes? Cat?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:30 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
How do you keep the birds out of those grapes? Cat?
I just covered them a few days ago.

I was given the idea to use wine gift bags or mesh drawstring bags. I grabbed these off Amazon and they work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
Page 25 of 57
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up