ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 202 of 341
« First < 102152192198199200201202 203204205206212252302 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 06:51 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I’m also Right Handed left eye dominant.

I don’t pretend to be any kind of marksman. But the reason I’m not Isn't the eye. My target acquisition and sight/optic usage is good enough with a little practice. That aspect is far better than my weapon stability and trigger control.

I’m sure there are more qualified people than me to talk about it but it pretty much comes down to cocking your head to get the dominant eye down the sight or shutting the dominant eye to make the non-dominant one operate the sight.

Any advice on the biometric safe?

I prefer Vaultek on them, I have had good success with them.

Disclaimer on the bio safes: they do not always read the finger print. It is worse on cheaper options, better success rates with higher end. With my VaulTek it’s pretty close to 100%, there have been times it hasn’t opened. So have a well memorized pin backup.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:34 AM 07-07-2020
all good info.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 01:12 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
I prefer Vaultek on them, I have had good success with them.

Disclaimer on the bio safes: they do not always read the finger print. It is worse on cheaper options, better success rates with higher end. With my VaulTek it’s pretty close to 100%, there have been times it hasn’t opened. So have a well memorized pin backup.
Hornady has a line of safes that incorporates RFID technology. They come with a card, key fob and bracelet. I use the bracelet, wear it on my right wrist so all I have to do is hold it over the pad and the lid releases and pops open (mine also has a button code method). Extremely simple method for opening up a safe in the middle of the night. Pulling up their website to get the link it looks my particular model has been discontinued. Mine has a foam padded “shelf” attached to the lid presenting the gun to my already hovering in place hand. It looks like the Night Guard is the new incarnation of the night stand safe. They are certainly pricey but, unlike the bio safes, reliable.

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/index.php?id=4841
[Reply]
Otter 06:16 PM 07-08-2020
I'm guessing recoil wasn't high on this guy's priority list:
Attached: Capture1.jpg (99.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:23 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
No guarantee I will even buy a pistol. But I was surprised than when shit went down here, my wife said she would be ok with it.

If I did get a pistol, it would have to be in a very secure place. Even when the kids leave the house.

One thing is for sure, if I shoot as bad as I swing a club or a bat, or drive a straight line-we are all in trouble.

Right handed, left eye dominant. Really dominant.
C.A.R. (Center Axis Relock) allows right-handed shooters to use their left eye to aim. Or vice versa.

Several other advantages to CAR technique. Check it out.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 06:42 PM 07-08-2020
With C.A.R you need to remember it’s designed for up close quarters, one of its original uses was inside cars or cramped rooms. You will still need to develop your shooting stance for longer distance as well. C.A.R is a good tool for you to have but it wasn’t designed and shouldn’t be used for a main stance.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:02 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
With C.A.R you need to remember it’s designed for up close quarters, one of its original uses was inside cars or cramped rooms. You will still need to develop your shooting stance for longer distance as well. C.A.R is a good tool for you to have but it wasn’t designed and shouldn’t be used for a main stance.
All true. Though most people don't practice beyond 7 yards, and most can't hit a piece of notebook paper consistently beyond 15 yards, so . . . let's just say that for basic defensive handgun purposes, it'll work just fine. And you can train yourself to hit targets out to at least 25 yards. I do it all the time, and I'm not Jerry Miculek by any means.
[Reply]
frozenchief 12:26 PM 07-09-2020
Anybody have (or shoot) the .300 blackout? What’s your take?
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:59 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
My brother has one. Has a suppressor, red dot, shoots mostly sub-sonic ammo.

It's fun. As a HD it's more than adequate, IMO. Maybe has its uses as a close-in brush gun (relatively thin-skinned game) or even a varmint rifle, if you don't mind the expense of the ammo.

He says it's finicky about ammo though. He spent some time buying different brands and weights (he doesn't reload) to find ammo that would cycle reliably.

I forget the exact brand/model now, but he's always bought higher end guns, so it's not some cheap POS. If I remember later, I'll ask him what he's got.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 01:03 PM 07-09-2020
Mega pretty much nailed it. Really depends on what you want to use it for
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 01:04 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
Hornady has a line of safes that incorporates RFID technology. They come with a card, key fob and bracelet. I use the bracelet, wear it on my right wrist so all I have to do is hold it over the pad and the lid releases and pops open (mine also has a button code method). Extremely simple method for opening up a safe in the middle of the night. Pulling up their website to get the link it looks my particular model has been discontinued. Mine has a foam padded “shelf” attached to the lid presenting the gun to my already hovering in place hand. It looks like the Night Guard is the new incarnation of the night stand safe. They are certainly pricey but, unlike the bio safes, reliable.

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/index.php?id=4841

Good call on this one, I had forgotten all about it.
[Reply]
frozenchief 04:27 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
My brother has one. Has a suppressor, red dot, shoots mostly sub-sonic ammo.

It's fun. As a HD it's more than adequate, IMO. Maybe has its uses as a close-in brush gun (relatively thin-skinned game) or even a varmint rifle, if you don't mind the expense of the ammo.

He says it's finicky about ammo though. He spent some time buying different brands and weights (he doesn't reload) to find ammo that would cycle reliably.

I forget the exact brand/model now, but he's always bought higher end guns, so it's not some cheap POS. If I remember later, I'll ask him what he's got.
Sig has an interesting pistol (MCX Canebrake) in that calibre that I'm seriously considering. Looks like it could be fun as a short of short-range plinker. Throw on a suppressor and a decent sight and I could easily practice in my yard without disturbing the neighbors.

.300AAC Blackout doesn't look like it's got the range of a typical .308 or 6.5CM so I figured it could be a good plinker as well as a good gun to keep in the truck. But the ammo just seems odd. I mean it just seems odd to consciously decide to slow bullets down that much.

I recently started reloading so your description makes it sound like this would be a good gun for reloading. While ammo doesn't seem super expensive, dialing in a good round is fun.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:51 PM 07-09-2020
Sig has an interesting pistol (MCX Canebrake) in that calibre that I'm seriously considering. Looks like it could be fun as a short of short-range plinker. Throw on a suppressor and a decent sight and I could easily practice in my yard without disturbing the neighbors.

.300AAC Blackout doesn't look like it's got the range of a typical .308 or 6.5CM so I figured it could be a good plinker as well as a good gun to keep in the truck. But the ammo just seems odd. I mean it just seems odd to consciously decide to slow bullets down that much.

I recently started reloading so your description makes it sound like this would be a good gun for reloading. While ammo doesn't seem super expensive, dialing in a good round is fun.
As a general rule, I would never advise anyone who is new to reloading to begin with a rifle round. Particularly if that rifle round required forming of cases in, in this case cutting down and then necking down a piece of brass.

Of course you could always try to just buy 300 blackout brass, but if I remember correctly, it runs around $.30 per piece. Which is a little pricey. However, it may be a relatively low pressure round, so you may get multiple reloads out of each piece. I wouldn’t know about that.

Just a few things to consider. Good luck with whatever you decide.
[Reply]
frozenchief 05:14 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
As a general rule, I would never advise anyone who is new to reloading to begin with a rifle round. Particularly if that rifle round required forming of cases in, in this case cutting down and then necking down a piece of brass.

Of course you could always try to just buy 300 blackout brass, but if I remember correctly, it runs around $.30 per piece. Which is a little pricey. However, it may be a relatively low pressure round, so you may get multiple reloads out of each piece. I wouldn’t know about that.

Just a few things to consider. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Good info.

I started reloading with my son because he really wants to reload. I started with .30/06 because it's extremely common and I figured that it would be a good place to start. I've also got several friends who reload and have been helping us and giving us advice. So far we've done pretty well and have reloaded some 6.5 Creedmore. One of these days I'll reload some .416 Rigby rounds but right now the powder cupboards at my local shop are really low and so getting powder has been a major issue.

I have deliberately started at the lowest amounts of powder listed in Lyman's book. I know it doesn't take but a few grains of extra powder to destroy a rifle and potentially cause a great deal of damage.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:38 PM 07-09-2020
Good info.
ocal shop are really low and so getting powder has been a major issue.

I have deliberately started at the lowest amounts of powder listed in Lyman's book. I know it doesn't take but a few grains of extra powder to destroy a rifle and potentially cause a great deal of damage.
Always a good idea. Turning the gun into a bomb is always bad for your weekend plans.
[Reply]
Page 202 of 341
« First < 102152192198199200201202 203204205206212252302 > Last »
Up