ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 202 of 361
« First < 102152192198199200201202 203204205206212252302 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fish 05:56 PM 06-03-2020
Humans, for scale...

It’s hard to fathom the scale of the Falcon 9 that launched humans to space last weekend until you see people working on the booster! from r/space

[Reply]
DaFace 06:04 PM 06-03-2020
If any of you find yourselves in LA with some time to spare, it's worth it to drop by SpaceX and check out the booster there. Here it is with my wife for scale.
[Reply]
Kman34 07:03 PM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If any of you find yourselves in LA with some time to spare, it's worth it to drop by SpaceX and check out the booster there. Here it is with my wife for scale.
Dude... I like you so I'm not going to... :-)
[Reply]
MagicHef 08:03 PM 06-03-2020
Drone ship feed didn’t cut out during landing. I wonder if they’ve made an upgrade.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:05 PM 06-03-2020

SpaceX has been given NASA approval to fly flight-proven Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon vehicles during Commercial Crew flights starting with Post-Certification Mission 2, per a modification to SpaceX's contract with NASA.https://t.co/BxHlFqt9sK pic.twitter.com/lRsthoBw8T

— Michael Baylor (@nextspaceflight) June 3, 2020

Kind of crazy when Demo-2 isn't even back yet. Speculation is that Boeing is gonna continue getting delayed, and NASA is wanting SpaceX to fill the void by reusing Dragons (since it's a lot faster to refurbish than it is to build a new one).
[Reply]
Donger 09:32 AM 06-05-2020

Falcon 9 flew for the first time ten years ago today. Completing 85 missions to date, Falcon 9 is now the most flown operational rocket in the United States. pic.twitter.com/duuMDuyv7t

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) June 4, 2020

[Reply]
MagicHef 12:40 PM 06-05-2020
Wow

Yes

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 5, 2020

[Reply]
Donger 12:41 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Wow

That seems.... rather optimistic.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:44 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
That seems.... rather optimistic.
I don't think he's too off the mark in terms of cargo but a manned mission to Mars in 2024?

Has Space X even built whatever ship is taking the astronauts on their 18 month journey?

Won't they need a ship in orbit and a lander, too?
[Reply]
Donger 12:47 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't think he's too off the mark in terms of cargo but a manned mission to Mars in 2024?

Has Space X even built whatever ship is taking the astronauts on their 18 month journey?

Won't they need a ship in orbit and a lander, too?
Well, I presume he's talking about Starship. And those keep blowing up and hasn't even sniffed space.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:51 PM 06-05-2020
Well, I presume he's talking about Starship. And those keep blowing up and hasn't even sniffed space.
Thanks! Hopefully, they'll have the rocket ready by the end of 2022 but it sure seems like it's going to take much longer before they can send humans to Mars.

I should probably do more research but have NASA and Space X figured out how to protect the astronauts from radiation during the 18 month journey to and from Mars?
[Reply]
Donger 12:55 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Thanks! Hopefully, they'll have the rocket ready by the end of 2022 but it sure seems like it's going to take much longer before they can send humans to Mars.

I should probably do more research but have NASA and Space X figured out how to protect the astronauts from radiation during the 18 month journey to and from Mars?
Musk has a history of being a tad optimistic with timelines.

Last I heard, they are looking at a four month duration to Mars, which will lessen the exposure. And I think I read that they plan to have a shelter for emergencies.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:04 PM 06-05-2020
Gwynne Shotwell is probably a more reasonable gauge of timelines. Here's what she said recently:

Outlook from @spacex's Gwynne Shotwell: "We've learned so much in the last six years, I'm sure we will have people flying in Starship in less than six years. It would be a major company fail if we're not flying people in like half that amount of time or less." -AvWeek interview

— Irene Klotz (@Free_Space) May 25, 2020

Note that she's just talking about flying (at all). It's hard to imagine Mars being only a couple years away.

But I will say that, once you understand "Elon Time," you get it. He says "we'll do it in 2 years" when everyone else thinks it'll take 10. Then when it's done in 5, it's still a big win.
[Reply]
Donger 01:07 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Gwynne Shotwell is probably a more reasonable gauge of timelines. Here's what she said recently:

Note that she's just talking about flying (at all). It's hard to imagine Mars being only a couple years away.

But I will say that, once you understand "Elon Time," you get it. He says "we'll do it in 2 years" when everyone else thinks it'll take 10. Then when it's done in 5, it's still a big win.
He stole that from Scotty.

:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:17 PM 06-05-2020
Musk has a history of being a tad optimistic with timelines.

Last I heard, they are looking at a four month duration to Mars, which will lessen the exposure. And I think I read that they plan to have a shelter for emergencies.
4 months? Holy cow! That's nearly 31,000 miles per hour.
[Reply]
Page 202 of 361
« First < 102152192198199200201202 203204205206212252302 > Last »
Up