ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 197 of 361
« First < 97147187193194195196197 198199200201207247297 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:56 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
FWIW my father was a zoo veterinarian at one time and took care of miss able before she got her ass launched. Independence Kansas.

True story.
https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...m_A19840869000
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:15 PM 05-30-2020
I'm pretty much speechless.

As someone that clearly remembers the July 16, 1969 moon landing, even though I wasn't even 4 years old at the time, today's successful launch is an amazing reminder of what we humans (and Americans!) can do when we all work together.

Hopefully, this launch is just the beginning of human space exploration, something I've been looking towards my entire life.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:20 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'm pretty much speechless.

As someone that clearly remembers the July 16, 1969 moon landing, even though I wasn't even 4 years old at the time, today's successful launch is an amazing reminder of what we humans (and Americans!) can do when we all work together.

Hopefully, this launch is just the beginning of human space exploration, something I've been looking towards my entire life.
Right on brother. This is a great day!
[Reply]
Donger 02:52 PM 05-30-2020
Amazing live video guys
[Reply]
DaFace 03:01 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by Delano:
Anyone know if the stage one gets lashed down on the drone ship or does it use boosters to stabilize? That thing looks like it would topple over in any kind of choppy water.
They have a robot (affectionately referred to by fans as the "roomba") that comes out of a garage and attaches it to the bottom of the rocket. It's super heavy and is sufficient to stabilize it for the ride home.

On my phone, but google SpaceX roomba for pics.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 03:16 PM 05-30-2020
That was fun to watch.

On some level, I always find it neat that despite the tensions going on down here were able to maintain the ISS w/ a significant Russian presence.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:36 PM 05-30-2020
I was laughing with my daughter at the water tower leaning towards the rocket launch. Anybody else notice that?
[Reply]
Setsuna 03:47 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I was laughing with my daughter at the water tower leaning towards the rocket launch. Anybody else notice that?
You mean your half hog half human daughter? :-)
[Reply]
unlurking 05:08 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Reminder to everyone that you should be able to catch ISS flying over tonight. It's around 9:20pm here in Denver, but check your local area.

Normally, you'd check here, but NASA's servers are probably getting hammered right now.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

I use the app "ISS Detector."

I'm hoping that Dragon might be bright enough to catch it trailing behind...
The app Heavens Above is a great tool for this. Has DM2 8 minutes off of ISS for two passes this evening. Can be found under "Crew Dragon" when searching.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:18 PM 05-30-2020
I’m proud to have caught this live on Discovery channel, it looked amazingly smooth, almost like it was was hardly moving at all

And the shots from inside the capsule after they broke through the atmosphere, monitoring their touchscreen was just icing on the cake... America is still exceptional

There’s nothing wrong with us, that can’t be fixed with what’s right with us
[Reply]
Coogs 09:32 PM 05-30-2020
Just watched them both fly over! Friggin Awesome!!! North Central Kansas. North West to South East. Roughly 8 to 10 degrees apart. Perfectly clear night!

Thanks for the heads up fellas!!! :-)

DeFace in particular.

If they still happen to be visible in another 1 hour and a half, you need to check it out!
[Reply]
Coogs 09:44 PM 05-30-2020
For me, it looks like it will be more West - South West to South East in about another hour and 15 minutes.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/tracking_map.cfm
[Reply]
DaFace 09:51 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Just watched them both fly over! Friggin Awesome!!! North Central Kansas. North West to South East. Roughly 8 to 10 degrees apart. Perfectly clear night!

Thanks for the heads up fellas!!! :-)

DeFace in particular.

If they still happen to be visible in another 1 hour and a half, you need to check it out!
ISS likely will be, but it'll be dimmer. So will Dragon, which means it might be harder to spot.

Completely socked in clouds for me tonight. Bummer.
[Reply]
Coogs 09:53 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
ISS likely will be, but it'll be dimmer. So will Dragon, which means it might be harder to spot.
It wasn't hard to spot. It is a bit dimmer, but very easy to see. Roughly 5 to 10 degrees behind. We, my wife and I, are going back out in to see the next pass.

Even if it is dimmer. We are going to look for it.

Too bad on the clouds for you. It was very cool!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:17 PM 05-30-2020
Very cool. Sorry, a lot of work at the lake with new divers.
[Reply]
Page 197 of 361
« First < 97147187193194195196197 198199200201207247297 > Last »
Up