ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 115 of 149
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:37 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Dayton's not above criticism, no one is. But there's a couple realities as to why we're where we are.

1.) Dayton did not draft well in the mid-2010s and we're paying for it.
2.) He was in a brutal spot with the World Series group. Ticket sales and fan interest was through the roof. If he dismantles that World Series group early to get decent trade value out of them, he gets completely destroyed. "How could you break up a World Series champion?" So he rode it out to the end for two more years. There is not a person here who would have supported dismantling that team in 2016, and if you say so you're lying. Him and Glass would have been run out of town. So you have to start from scratch. Otherwise you're waiting for the draft picks you get in 2018 to get up here, which we're just starting to see. Especially since they didn't draft well.
I put the failure 95% of it anyway on the bad drafts, also since the WS year all of his FA signings have looked like blunders so he has to fix that also.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:38 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Dayton's not above criticism, no one is. But there's a couple realities as to why we're where we are.

1.) Dayton did not draft well in the mid-2010s and we're paying for it.
2.) He was in a brutal spot with the World Series group. Ticket sales and fan interest was through the roof. If he dismantles that World Series group early to get decent trade value out of them, he gets completely destroyed. "How could you break up a World Series champion?" So he rode it out to the end for two more years. There is not a person here who would have supported dismantling that team in 2016, and if you say so you're lying. Him and Glass would have been run out of town. So you have to start from scratch. Otherwise you're waiting for the draft picks you get in 2018 to get up here, which we're just starting to see. Especially since they didn't draft well.
Kyle Zimmer and Ventura stories have to sting too. Both obviously out of Dayton’s control.

But That Bubba Starling pick.....woof
[Reply]
tk13 10:40 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I put the failure 95% of it anyway on the bad drafts, also since the WS year all of his FA signings have looked like blunders so he has to fix that also.
Oh there's no doubt the FA signings have been terrible. But you can overcome that a little bit if you draft well. Teams these days who succeed usually develop many of their own guys.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:41 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Kyle Zimmer and Ventura stories have to sting too. Both obviously out of Dayton’s control.

Something like Zimmer happening isn't exactly unheard of, pitching prospects are volatile, guys burn out, get hurt, end up relievers, just suck all the time.

It's a good reason why the way the Royals are constructing their minors right now is a bit scary, banking on pitching is not exactly safe.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:49 PM 09-05-2020
Something like Zimmer happening isn't exactly unheard of, pitching prospects are volatile, guys burn out, get hurt, end up relievers, just suck all the time.

It's a good reason why the way the Royals are constructing their minors right now is a bit scary, banking on pitching is not exactly safe.

That’s why you never say “we got these 4-5 guys, we good” and keep adding arms. Depth is the key to developing SP internally.

They seem to have taken that to heart.

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

Bubba Starling is a bust pick. No denying it. I was Team Rendon as soon as he started to slide. But that also was not some crazy homer pick. He was in consideration for #2 and was widely regarded as the best HS position player in that draft.

The picks that sting are Colon, and the Russell/Watson run in 2015.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:54 PM 09-05-2020
People who argue against tanking should think about this...

We won a meaningless game and it got us Colon instead of Machado...

Then we followed that by taking Starling in front of Rendon and Lindor....

I'll listen to why they didn't take Sale everyone thought he was a major injury waiting to happen and a probably reliever, I get it, but still terrible pick.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:13 PM 09-05-2020
1 game outta # 1.

FUBAR for KUMAR!
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:21 PM 09-05-2020
I've said for the past couple of years that 2021 is the year where we really need to start seeing dividends from Moore's last youth movement (looking for a year like you, 2011). My expectations aren't high, but a 75~ win season where our young arms start making serious noise by the end of the season (just like our young hitters did in 2011) would bring me a lot of confidence that Moore is taking the ship in the right direction.

If it's another 100 loss season, I'd be interested in the candidates our new ownership would look into to lead a small market franchise like the Royals.
[Reply]
Why Not? 05:41 AM 09-06-2020
People who argue against tanking should think about this...

We won a meaningless game and it got us Colon instead of Machado...

Duncan did a good job recently of breaking down the ripple effect of what likely transpires if that had happened. In a vacuum, of course we’d rather have had Machado over Colon but who knows how that would’ve played out. Using history as a guide, Machado would’ve been long gone by now and would he have helped bring us the championship that Colon and the guys we went and got (who probably don’t get brought is, per Duncan’s point) were able to bring? I can’t answer that but Machado hasn’t done so to this point anywhere (would love to see the Padres win it this year).

No doubt Colon was a bust but he’s an oddity in the bust world. Most baseball busts either never even make the majors or have a career kinda like what Bubba’s career looks to be. Made the bigs, have a few moments, end up kinda serviceable-ish but never really do anything big.

Colon has some of the most important hits in franchise history. Again, not necessarily defending him, just pointing out how weird that is. Guy is a total bust but will forever be etched positively in franchise lore. Pretty rare.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:29 AM 09-06-2020
Colon is the modern Buddy Biancalana.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:05 PM 09-06-2020
Just 20 more games left.

Will 5-15 get them #1?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:38 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Just 20 more games left.

Will 5-15 get them #1?

If the Pirates go 8-14 the rest of the way.

May come down to the series against them next week. Getting swept there would go a long way towards being worse than Pittsburgh.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:39 PM 09-06-2020
I'm hoping for 0-20
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:01 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If the Pirates go 8-14 the rest of the way.

May come down to the series against them next week. Getting swept there would go a long way towards being worse than Pittsburgh.
Ha, that will be an interesting series. Can we throw Harvey every game?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:16 PM 09-06-2020
God this team is a shit show.

Mahomes might want his money back.
[Reply]
Page 115 of 149
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125 > Last »
Up