ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Guys, it's not negotiable. You need to give Mahomes premium weapons in your mocks.
Direckshun 12:58 PM 02-26-2021
The Bucs were probably going to win the Super Bowl no matter what, but we are deluding ourselves if we are creating mock offseasons that don't give Mahomes at least 2 more premium weapons.

We routinely get excellent mock offseasons on this forum, and this week has been no exception, but c'mon.

You need to either give Mahomes a top flight #2 and #3 receiving option, or you need to give him a top flight #2 WR and a top flight #2 TE.

Teams are going to throw all their resources at Kelce and Hill in 2021. You can't snag one really good WR and wipe your hands clean of the problem -- you need multiple tertiary options because someone's going to get injured in or around 2021.

I know there's a ton of needs, but protecting Mahomes and giving him more weapons need to be at the top of the list, and if your mock offseason doesn't, it's not passing the smell test here.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:08 AM 02-28-2021
The more that I look at these WRs the less excited I am finding a gem after the 1st or 2nd round. Lots of quality early then a lot of ?s.

Don't see a McLaurin, Godwin, Golladay dropping down.

Still looking for a Mooney or Diontae Johnson.

Could just be the nature of this draft class overall.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:21 AM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by Coogs:
https://youtu.be/fKQJZPVUkWk

Jonathan Adams. 6-3, 220 form Arkansas State. Watched him destroy KSU early last year. It wasn't a one game fluke either. Could be a mid to late round steal that would allow other positions to be addressed early, and still get a legit weapon for Mahomes.

Well, he'd be the other red zone threat across from Kelce for sure. Great hands and fights for the contested passes. I would like to see more of him in the open field to see what he can do there.
[Reply]
kcbubb 05:28 PM 02-28-2021
Thoughts on amari Rodgers in the 4th?

https://youtu.be/t26kPr-6fwk
[Reply]
kccrow 06:08 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
The more that I look at these WRs the less excited I am finding a gem after the 1st or 2nd round. Lots of quality early then a lot of ?s.

Don't see a McLaurin, Godwin, Golladay dropping down.

Still looking for a Mooney or Diontae Johnson.

Could just be the nature of this draft class overall.
I think there's going to be some really good value picks in the 3rd and 4th that will fit this offense.

Three guys I'm really high on are:
Dyami Brown, North Carolina (Might consider him in the 2nd)
Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Iowa (Underrated!)
Anthony Schwartz, Auburn

Then there are a ton of smaller guys that fit best in slot roles but they are all pretty good players. I think a few of these guys are going to be really productive in their roles:
Amari Rodgers, Clemson
Marquez Stevenson, Houston
Shi Smith, South Carolina
Dwayne Eskridge, Western Michigan
Dazz Newsome, South Carolina
Whop Philyor, Indiana
[Reply]
kccrow 06:15 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Thoughts on amari Rodgers in the 4th?

https://youtu.be/t26kPr-6fwk
I think he goes in the 2nd or 3rd, but yes he's really good. Good thickness, speed, great hands, good body control. He has alot of what you want, except height.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:43 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I think there's going to be some really good value picks in the 3rd and 4th that will fit this offense.

Anthony Schwartz, Auburn

Then there are a ton of smaller guys that fit best in slot roles but they are all pretty good players. I think a few of these guys are going to be really productive in their roles:
Amari Rodgers, Clemson
Dazz Newsome, South Carolina
Whop Philyor, Indiana
Depends what excites you. I love value at WR and I don't see it rounds 3-4.

KC needs a difference maker to replace Sammy. If you want a cheap replacement for DRob, sure, that's doable.

Right now I like Darden late. Could see us using Tamarion Terry as a cheap DRob replacement.

No interest in getting another guy too high who will not push Mecole.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:10 PM 02-28-2021
Depends what excites you. I love value at WR and I don't see it rounds 3-4.

KC needs a difference maker to replace Sammy. If you want a cheap replacement for DRob, sure, that's doable.

Right now I like Darden late. Could see us using Tamarion Terry as a cheap DRob replacement.

No interest in getting another guy too high who will not push Mecole.
What excites me are receivers in the 6-0 to 6-2 and 190-215 lb range that have quickness first and speed second. I've been on guys like McLaurin, Diggs, and Gabriel Davis in the past.

Dyami Brown and Tylan Wallace are the two guys I think I like the most in terms of value after day 1. I don't know if we can get Wallace without a trade-up, but I'd take Brown.

Guys like McLauren and Diggs and so on (past round 2) are kind of needles in the proverbial haystack. You're lucky if you get 1 or 2 a year that really exceeds their draft stock.

Now, being able to get that guy hasn't been something the Chiefs have been too great at sans Tyreek.

My guy this year from a sleeper perspective is definitely Frank Darby out of Arizona State. He doesn't get much love but he has speed, he has quickness, he has good size, and he uses his hands to beat press.

Smith-Marsette doesn't fit my normal profile from a weight perspective but he's got some height and he's got speed and quickness. I like him alot and think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the draft. He's more a Robby Anderson type in terms of build. Not quite as tall.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:36 AM 03-01-2021
So Jhamon Ausbon. Took a look.

Yes, good player. I like him later as a possession WR. Won't scare anyone deep but solid.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 06:52 AM 03-01-2021

Anthony Schwartz, Auburn

Amari Rodgers, Clemson
Dazz Newsome, North Carolina
Whop Philyor, Indiana
Newsome is definitely a sleeper......super slippery after the catch. He's gonna be returning kicks for someone
[Reply]
Dante84 11:20 AM 03-01-2021
Jhamon Ausbon reminds me of Demarcus Robinson a little bit.

Dazz Newsome blew my socks off, what's his story? Dude sort of looked like AB or Desean Jackson in this video. Seems to have a diva-mentality after the play, but his routes and hands looked solid.

[Reply]
kccrow 11:46 AM 03-01-2021
Newsome got overshadowed by Dyami Brown. Good player in his own right though. Just 2 different skill sets. Brown is a guy I'd look at end of 2 as an X whereas Newsome probably needs to play off the line as a slot.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:53 AM 03-01-2021
And Dante84, you really hit home the point on the WRs I was semi-trying to make on WR and especially the little fellas. This draft is freakin LOADED with talent for the slot. Tons of super quick jitterbug types just like Toney later in this draft. Toney is a little more polished, maybe plays the X, but many similar to him. I don't think I could take Toney with all the talent at the position as a 1st round pick. I was all about him in the 2nd before his stock went through the roof, but I don't think I'd worry about WR at 31. Some really, really good players are going to fall through the 2nd-4th. I'd rather see that pick spent on a position that isn't as loaded, so long as the draft falls right.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:00 PM 03-01-2021
And Dante84, you really hit home the point on the WRs I was semi-trying to make on WR and especially the little fellas. This draft is freakin LOADED with talent for the slot. Tons of super quick jitterbug types just like Toney later in this draft. Toney is a little more polished, maybe plays the X, but many similar to him. I don't think I could take Toney with all the talent at the position as a 1st round pick. I was all about him in the 2nd before his stock went through the roof, but I don't think I'd worry about WR at 31. Some really, really good players are going to fall through the 2nd-4th. I'd rather see that pick spent on a position that isn't as loaded, so long as the draft falls right.
Toney is not just a slot. He can play inside or outside and is one of the elite route runners in this draft.

Not running routes is why Mahomes doesn't trust Mecole.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:28 PM 03-01-2021
Toney is not just a slot. He can play inside or outside and is one of the elite route runners in this draft.

Not running routes is why Mahomes doesn't trust Mecole.
I was on him 4-5 months ago so I've watched him a ton and love him but... while he's a good route runner, most of his ability to separate in college came from his athleticism much more so than pure route-running ability. That said, when he does crisp up his routes, he'll be just that much more dangerous. There are plenty of other very good route runners in this draft though and I'd, as examples, put Rashod Bateman and Dyami Brown very high on that list.

As for Mecole, I never supported the pick. In fact, I disliked it very much and that was one of the reasons. I've supported him as a player and he's certainly a more than functional slot guy, but he can't ever be more than he is. He can't be the heir to Watkins, much less Tyreek (the thought at the time), and never showed that kind of pure ability. Several receivers in this draft show a lot more ability than Mecole to play inside or out and run good routes. They may not run 4.33 but most of them will be 4.45 and that's plenty so long as they are actually creating separation at the stem.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 01:38 PM 03-01-2021
I was on him 4-5 months ago so I've watched him a ton and love him but... while he's a good route runner, most of his ability to separate in college came from his athleticism much more so than pure route-running ability. That said, when he does crisp up his routes, he'll be just that much more dangerous. There are plenty of other very good route runners in this draft though and I'd, as examples, put Rashod Bateman and Dyami Brown very high on that list.

As for Mecole, I never supported the pick. In fact, I disliked it very much and that was one of the reasons. I've supported him as a player and he's certainly a more than functional slot guy, but he can't ever be more than he is. He can't be the heir to Watkins, much less Tyreek (the thought at the time), and never showed that kind of pure ability. Several receivers in this draft show a lot more ability than Mecole to play inside or out and run good routes. They may not run 4.33 but most of them will be 4.45 and that's plenty so long as they are actually creating separation at the stem.
We aren't getting Bateman.

Dyami Brown is meh. He can play and be a suitable #2. The analytics guys love him but I see a guy who delays routes to stutter step open. That won't fly at the next level. Weak at catch point.

Maybe he can be a Gabe Davis but I still think Davis is overrated.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up