ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Micah Parsons (LB, Penn State) may slide.
Direckshun 01:09 PM 02-23-2021
Projected high 1st round pick, may now fall to the bottom of the 1st, or beyond.

Something to keep an eye on -- I'm on record as being pro-linebacker at 31, and Parsons would be a hell of a get.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpre...urting-Parsons

Character Concerns Hurting Parsons
Updated Feb. 23, 2021
By Charlie Campbell

The 2021 NFL Draft is not especially strong for defensive front seven talent, but Penn State's Micah Parson is one of the prospects with a first-round skill set for any draft class. The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder has excellent size alongside speed and athleticism. Parsons sat out the 2020 pandemic season after serving as a 2-year starter since being a top recruit coming out of high school. While Parsons was projected to be the top linebacker for the 2021 NFL Draft, he carries significant character concerns that could cause him to suffer a significant first-round slide, according to multiple teams, and some teams may remove him from their boards because of the character issue.

Part of the character content is public knowledge. A former teammate of Parsons has sued Penn State for hazing, and Parsons was prominently and repeatedly named in that lawsuit for administering physical, verbal and emotional abuse on his teammate. Aside from that issue, team sources say they have concerns about other parts of Parsons' makeup, football character, and off-the-field conduct.

On the field, multiple team sources say Parsons is not as good of a player as other recent top-10 linebackers like Tampa Bay's Devin White or Chicago's Roquan Smith. Here's what one director of college scouting said about Parsons, "He's very overrated to me. He doesn't play downhill, is not physical taking on [blocks], is a clean-air guy, and his instincts don't jump out. He is a freak athlete that can rush the passer. Someone will probably take him early, but I would scratch him from top-10 consideration."

Another aspect of the pandemic year is more difficulty for prospects with character concerns helping to alleviate those concerns before the 2021 NFL Draft. The combine and pre-draft visits were canceled by the league, so limited video conferencing is the only outlet Parsons has to try to dispel the character concerns directly. Parsons has a great skill set, but his character issues could cause him to slide in the 2021 NFL Draft.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:18 PM 02-23-2021
No thanks.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:28 PM 02-23-2021
Veach will get him in the third
[Reply]
mkp785 01:28 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
No thanks.
Why so? We don't NEED a LB that badly but if Parsons is for some reason there at 31, that's a no brainer. He could be Ray Lewis reborn.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:29 PM 02-23-2021
Walter is a fucking moron.

He doesn't play downhill? Worst assessment I've ever heard on the kid. I mean, fucking awful. The kid is 6'3" 245 and runs a 4.43 and comes through the line like a fucking missile.

His instincts don't jump out? He reads the play and is on the guy before his teammates take a step.

Please let this kid fall to 31 because of hazing. Please.
[Reply]
mkp785 01:39 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Walter is a ****ing moron.

He doesn't play downhill? Worst assessment I've ever heard on the kid. I mean, ****ing awful. The kid is 6'3" 245 and runs a 4.43 and comes through the line like a ****ing missile.

His instincts don't jump out? He reads the play and is on the guy before his teammates take a step.

Please let this kid fall to 31 because of hazing. Please.
I can't imagine a universe where Micah Parsons falls from a top 10 lock to us at the bottom of the first. But I wanna live in that universe.
[Reply]
Dante84 01:43 PM 02-23-2021
Good God.

[Reply]
htismaqe 01:44 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Why so? We don't NEED a LB that badly but if Parsons is for some reason there at 31, that's a no brainer. He could be Ray Lewis reborn.
You mean a murderer?

Not taking a LB at 31, no way, no how.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:50 PM 02-23-2021
Man, if Parsons is there at 31, that would be crazy.

If we fill at least one need in free agency (DE, WR, or OL), I’d probably do it man.

He’s such a good pass rusher, if you would take a DE there, there’s no reason you wouldn’t take him to be honest. He can get you 6-8 sacks a year while forming a ridiculous duo with Gay.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:58 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Man, if Parsons is there at 31, that would be crazy.

If we fill at least one need in free agency (DE, WR, or OL), I’d probably do it man.

He’s such a good pass rusher, if you would take a DE there, there’s no reason you wouldn’t take him to be honest. He can get you 6-8 sacks a year while forming a ridiculous duo with Gay.
People want a LB because they think they need better pass coverage and run stoppage.

If he's rushing the passer, he's not doing either of those things.

I just don't get the idea that a LB makes this team appreciably better. They need OL and DL help in a bad way.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:05 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
People want a LB because they think they need better pass coverage and run stoppage.

If he's rushing the passer, he's not doing either of those things.

I just don't get the idea that a LB makes this team appreciably better. They need OL and DL help in a bad way.
He can absolutely do both. Gay has the ability to be a good blitzer as well.

Having two guys that can rush the passer or drop back adds to your ability to be versatile and unpredictable.

Again, this is assuming the Chiefs can at least fill one hole in free agency.

Also, I don’t see how rushing the passer means he’s cant stop the run too. That makes zero sense.
[Reply]
mkp785 02:06 PM 02-23-2021
You mean a murderer?

Not taking a LB at 31, no way, no how.
No. I mean a 1st ballot HOFer (not that I'm saying Parson is HOF) and someone who should never, ever get remotely close to our pick. He has no real minuses on the field. Parsons and Gay would be a monster duo at LB and would allow Spags some insane things.

IF this were to happen, you wait on OL, WR and DE and you run his card up there and work the rest out later
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:11 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He can absolutely do both. Gay has the ability to be a good blitzer as well.

Having two guys that can rush the passer or drop back adds to your ability to be versatile and unpredictable.

Again, this is assuming the Chiefs can at least fill one hole in free agency.

Also, I don’t see how rushing the passer means he’s cant stop the run too. That makes zero sense.
One guy can only do one thing at one time.

If he's blitzing, somebody else is in coverage. People bitch that our LB's can't cover.

So if he's rushing the passer, he's not covering anybody.

I totally get what you're saying, I really do.

It's just a luxury at this point, one we really can't afford given the situation at offensive tackle, first and foremost.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:12 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
No. I mean a 1st ballot HOFer (not that I'm saying Parson is HOF) and someone who should never, ever get remotely close to our pick. He has no real minuses on the field. Parsons and Gay would be a monster duo at LB and would allow Spags some insane things.

IF this were to happen, you wait on OL, WR and DE and you run his card up there and work the rest out later
We didn't lose the Super Bowl because of our LB's.

Waiting on OL, WR, and DE is just asking for disappointment.

Everybody DROOLED over Derrick Johnson. How many playoff games did he win?

This team revolves around Patrick Mahomes. Period.

They need OL and playmakers. Everything else is secondary.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:14 PM 02-23-2021
One guy can only do one thing at one time.

If he's blitzing, somebody else is in coverage. People bitch that our LB's can't cover.

So if he's rushing the passer, he's not covering anybody.

I totally get what you're saying, I really do.

It's just a luxury at this point, one we really can't afford given the situation at offensive tackle, first and foremost.
Sounds like you’re arguing need over BPA

:-)

Parsons and Gay give this defense 2 LB’s they can leave on the field for the entire game. They can play the run, drop back into coverage, or go after the QB.

Do I love taking a LB at 31 over other positions? No. I’d much rather have Rousseau, Paye, Chase, Smith, or Waddle fall into our lap.

Am I going to pass on a guy that I think is a top 10 talent because of need? No.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up