ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Jayson Oweh, Penn State
staylor26 11:02 PM 02-12-2021
I don’t see this guy getting a lot of love on CP, so I figured I’d start a discussion because I really love his upside and I could easily see him being the pick at 31.

He has very great length and he’s a freak athletically. The problem is he had a very weird season, like a lot of other prospects, where he didn’t get any sacks in a small sample size of games. If you watch the tape though, you can see him flashing and getting pressure on a fairly consistent basis relative to the lack of production.

Despite the stats, he clearly was a better player than in 2019 where he recorded 5 sacks, just an example of how those stats can be misleading in a season where he only played 7 games.

He hasn’t been playing football for a long time, but he’s not just an athlete. He’s definitely a football player and could be our Sneed/Gay/Thornhill/Jones at DE.

We have athletic freaks all over this defense, but not on the edge. I love Clark, but he’s not that. You add that to what we already have though?

This defense could be playing like a top 5 defense down the stretch in 2021.

When you’re picking at 31, these are the kind of guys that could make drafting late irrelevant. This guys just scratching the surface, and with our staff I have full confidence he could reach that potential and give us a top 10 talent at 31.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:16 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
They aren't though. They aren't the guys that get taken at the end of the first because they haven't been taken at the end of the first. No player with his lack of production over the last 12 games of his career has ever been drafted in the first round.

You guys can feel free to look back for yourselves and find an example.
K’Lavon Chaisson just went top 20 last year and he has a few more career sacks.

Yea 6.5 of those came in 2019, but in terms of the tape, he was about as raw as Oweh. He just had the benefit of playing on one of the best teams in CFB history and was able to pin his ears back a lot more than Oweh was this year. Not to mention he played in twice as many games as Oweh did this year.

I mean I don’t think the difference between them is more than 10-15 picks.

And again, this was a very weird year, even moreso for the Big 10.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:24 PM 02-14-2021

Jayson Oweh (9) & Shaka Toney (6) had 15 QB pressures between them in @PennStateFball OT loss to Indiana

Oweh will be a riser in #2021NFLDraft throughout this season... Only 1 start coming into 2020

Was on @BruceFeldmanCFB Freak List over the summer - 4.33 40 & 36.5" Verical pic.twitter.com/OpJcs2cir6

— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) October 25, 2020

[Reply]
kccrow 06:41 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Throwing up 9 pressures against Indiana doesn't wow me. Do that every game against all the competition on the schedule and you'll wow me.

Perkins averaged nearly 8 pressures a game in the 6 he was able to play this year. The guy makes Oweh look like a bitch and gets zero love because of that drug suspension. I look at the top-15 teams he wreaked havoc on the past couple years, not the Indiana's of the world.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on Oweh. I don't get the fascination in the first round by anyone, not just you but all the analysts. And on top of it, the lack of love for Perkins and Tryon who, on the field, have just looked like much better players.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:56 PM 02-14-2021
His pass rush win percentage was 18%.

He was consistently disruptive on tape, regardless of who he was playing. I was just posting some clips for the thread though.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:29 PM 02-14-2021
Recent draft history analytics suggest that physical traits > college production when it comes to pass rushers becoming good in the NFL.

He checks the boxes to become a freak pass rusher. Just raw as F.

Probably wouldn’t reap the large benefits of the pick for a year or two down the road. But I’d prefer him over some solid DE who’s ceiling is severely limited.

The key questions to determine if I’d use 31 or not on him can’t be answered by us. I wanna know what his mentality is, how important is the game to him. If you’re not willing to do whatever it takes to win rings, you don’t belong in KC right now.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:02 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Recent draft history analytics suggest that physical traits > college production when it comes to pass rushers becoming good in the NFL.

He checks the boxes to become a freak pass rusher. Just raw as F.

Probably wouldn’t reap the large benefits of the pick for a year or two down the road.
But I’d prefer him over some solid DE who’s ceiling is severely limited.

The key questions to determine if I’d use 31 or not on him can’t be answered by us. I wanna know what his mentality is, how important is the game to him. If you’re not willing to do whatever it takes to win rings, you don’t belong in KC right now.
The bold is why I wouldn’t take him at 31. We can’t have first rd picks being projects like this with Mahomes on a big contract.

Get those guys in rd 3 and on
[Reply]
O.city 09:17 PM 02-14-2021
See I’d say the opposite. With Mahomes big contract the only way you’re gonna get elite players is to take swings like this
[Reply]
staylor26 10:48 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
See I’d say the opposite. With Mahomes big contract the only way you’re gonna get elite players is to take swings like this
This guy gets it.

For once! :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 11:27 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Big difference though. I want to see some ascension. I want to see guys beasting in good competition in college.

Clyde did that, Ford did that, Peters.

I know he was the exception due to timing with Tyreek but Hardman is still being handheld and it will be year 3 for him. Fortunately Mahomes is his QB and helps make it look better overall.

This team can’t be in situations like we had redshirting Dee Ford waiting for them to develop. You have the highest paid player in football you’re now limited in FA. These rookies only have 4 years before they want a new contract.

The draft is where you have to get better.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:34 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Big difference though. I want to see some ascension. I want to see guys beasting in good competition in college.

Clyde did that, Ford did that, Peters.

I know he was the exception due to timing with Tyreek but Hardman is still being handheld and it will be year 3 for him. Fortunately Mahomes is his QB and helps make it look better overall.

This team can’t be in situations like we had redshirting Dee Ford waiting for them to develop. You have the highest paid player in football you’re now limited in FA. These rookies only have 4 years before they want a new contract.

The draft is where you have to get better.
At the same time, you don't want a team full of high floor, low ceiling guys.

There has to be a balance. You don't get superstars like Kelce and Hill without taking a chance on developmental prospects.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:04 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
At the same time, you don't want a team full of high floor, low ceiling guys.

There has to be a balance. You don't get superstars like Kelce and Hill without taking a chance on developmental prospects.
Yeah but you also don’t want guys like Mecole Hardman who are all measurables and/or athleticism but no football substance. Kpassagnon was the same way.

You can have high ceiling guys that aren’t projects. Hell Kelce was extremely talented in college. Only reason he fell in the draft was character. Same with Tyrann Matthieu.

We’re constantly trying for boom or bust players bc we have the staff to make it work if they’ve got the talent there. Chris Jones was stuck behind a dominant draft class at his position and Lucas Niang got hurt so he is a potential steal that was medically cleared.

I just fear people are looking at this kid in terms of measurables and not enough about on field. I get that this year was weird but a first Rd talent who couldn’t notch a single sack in 7 games?

That ****ing terrifies me
[Reply]
staylor26 12:09 AM 02-15-2021
^^^^

Has done no homework on the guy if he thinks he’s just an athlete and not a football player.

I don’t know how many times I can say it. There’s a reason this guy is a consensus 1st round player despite the lack of production this year. He appears to have the intangibles to reach his upside.

“Make no mistake about it he’s not just an athlete, he’s a football player” and “he wasn’t productive this year but he was very disruptive” is in about every scouting report you can find.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:15 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yeah but you also don’t want guys like Mecole Hardman who are all measurables and/or athleticism but no football substance. Kpassagnon was the same way.

You can have high ceiling guys that aren’t projects. Hell Kelce was extremely talented in college. Only reason he fell in the draft was character. Same with Tyrann Matthieu.

We’re constantly trying for boom or bust players bc we have the staff to make it work if they’ve got the talent there. Chris Jones was stuck behind a dominant draft class at his position and Lucas Niang got hurt so he is a potential steal that was medically cleared.

I just fear people are looking at this kid in terms of measurables and not enough about on field. I get that this year was weird but a first Rd talent who couldn’t notch a single sack in 7 games?

That ****ing terrifies me
Dude, Tyreek Hill played RB in college and they turned him into a WR. Not only that but after getting kicked off Oklahoma State, he had a completely lackluster stint in Division 2. He was as raw as raw can get. Even more raw than Mecole Hardman honestly.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:18 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Dude, Tyreek Hill played RB in college and they turned him into a WR. Not only that but after getting kicked off Oklahoma State, he had a completely lackluster stint in Division 2. He was as raw as raw can get. Even more raw than Mecole Hardman honestly.
We picked Tyreek in the 5th rd
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:04 AM 02-15-2021
Of the edge rushers likely to be available at 31 who have potential to play like top 10-15 picks, it looks laws that are causing them to drop are:

1) Oweh - production questions. Does he look like Tarzan and play like Jane?
2) Perkins - discipline questions. He failed a drug test!
3) Phillips - concussion questions. He's had enough that the next one could end his career.

Of all those options, the question/issue I'm least concerned about is Perkins getting popped for marijuana. He has top 10-15 pick upside as well.

And the "heavy hands" thing stands out to me... that seems to be a trait this staff looks for. Every scouting report I've seen on Perkins mentions that.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up