ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>FA is slow | Mock offseasons are fun
duncan_idaho 08:22 AM 03-19-2021
Hey, here's an updated approach from me, based on where we are on Day 3/5 of free agency.

1. Sign WR Juju Smith-Schuster (4 years, $52M). Who knows where his market is right now... but there has been very very little about his movements and interest. That seems like a situation the Chiefs might be playing in. With this addition, the Chiefs pick up a strong #2 WR who excels at working the middle, is dynamite on hot routes, and is willing to do the dirty work.

Plus, it will piss off the OWGs who cheer for the Chiefs. Always piss off the OWGs when you can!

2. Sign DE Carlos Dunlap (2 years, $20M). Kind of guessing on the contract terms here, too, but this seems reasonable based on who else is available and what the guys off the board signed for. Dunlap gives the Chiefs an upgrade at LDE and improves the front a bit.

3. Re-sign Austin Reiter, C (1 year, $7M with incentives to $10M)

I would also keep an eye on Kwon Alexander and see where his market ends up. Even if I'm paying AAV for the two above (Unlikely), I'd still have some room if I need it (Mathieu extension).

But anyway, with those two big items out of the way, let's shift into draft mode.

I'll start by warning htis that I'm about to annoy him. Sorry, man! But... wanted to see what a draft would look like if the Chiefs go this route...
Mock draft courtesy of MockDraftDatabase.

1.12. Yeah, that's right. I made a deal with the 49ers for 12. I sent them: #31, 2022 1st for this pick.
Christian Darrisaw, LT, Va. Tech He's a big, athletic tackle who checks all the boxes. He's the last "ready to start day 1" tackle in this draft (though Samuel Cosmi is close). Two firsts is a heavy price, but I'm operating under the assumption the Chiefs believe in him and playing him at LT day 1.

2.63. Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami Move over, Bell-dozer. This was a BPA move for me. No DE worth the pick here. With Jordan, the Chiefs get a major upgrade to their backup TE position and are set up to run some dangerous 3-TE sets again.

3.95 Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky His stock is all over the place, so who knows. But those following me live in the draft who would have banged the table for Jabril Cox at 63 (He was there) can chill, as I draft a nearly identical guy a round later.

4.137 Tamorrion Terry, WR, Florida State I'm not sure he really fits for Andy Reid, honestly. But man, you can run sets where he runs some basic but very dangerous routes Year 1 and see how he develops.

4.145 JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU Stevens takes over the Sorenson role in the sub D sets and honestly, I'm excited about that. He's faster and should be better against the run and match up better against TEs in coverage.

5.176 Adetokunbo Ogundeji, DE, Notre Dame Seems like a scheme fit, has some upside with development. More physical tools than Danna, less polish.

5.182 Robert Rochell, CB, Central Arkansas Another scheme fit, I think Rochell is gonna be dynamite in the NFL. Very twitchy and physically talented.

And that's it.

QB Mahomes/Henne
RB CEH/Williams
WR Hill/Hardman
WR Smith-Shuster/Pringle
WR Pringle/Terry
TE Kelce/Jordan

LT DarrisawNiang
LG Thuney/Wylie
C Reiter/Allegretti
RG LDT/Kyle Long (I think Long wins this job)
RT Niang/Remmers

RDE Clark/Ogundeji
LDE Dunlap/Danna
DT Jones/Wharton
DT Nnadi/Saunders

MLB Hitchens/Niemann
WLB Gay/Davis

CB Ward/Rochelle
CB Fenton/Keyes
SLOT Sneed/Stevens
FS Thornhill/Watts
SS Mathieu/Stevens

Blast away. :-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:37 AM 03-19-2021
Terry in the 5th-6th range? Fine. In the 4th? Fuck no.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:40 AM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Terry in the 5th-6th range? Fine. In the 4th? **** no.
I think his stock is going to go up as the process goes on, due to his physical measureables. But it's hard to say for sure because of the time to the draft and the uncertainty of evals due to COVID.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 09:46 AM 03-19-2021
I got a feeling we're going to have to grab him in the 2nd if he's still there. I think he's going to blow scouts away on his pro day
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 12:36 PM 03-19-2021
With Ju Ju now off the board, who would you sign in that spot instead?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:05 PM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
With Ju Ju now off the board, who would you sign in that spot instead?

Josh Reynolds would be my next target.
[Reply]
Up