ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Should we have taken CEH considering franchise tag money?
kcbubb 05:52 PM 03-14-2021
I love CEH but RBs are cheap?

2021 Franchise and Transition Tenders
Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $25,104,000 $23,106,000
DE $16,069,000 $12,926,000
WR $15,983,000 $14,340,000
CB $15,060,000 $13,294,000
LB $14,791,000 $12,716,000
DT $13,888,000 $11,752,000
OL $13,754,000 $12,657,000
S $10,612,000 $9,052,000
TE $9,601,000 $8,182,000
RB $8,655,000 $7,217,000
ST $4,482,000 $4,068,000
[Reply]
Direckshun 06:33 PM 03-14-2021
I think this is a conversation we’re months overdue having.

I don’t think there’s a reasonable argument, other than the hope that he takes a huge leap in his sophomore year, that CEH’s contributions were worth the 32nd pick.

It wasn’t even a true “heat check,” where we were taking a boom or bust gamble.

We took a player with a high floor and a Pro Bowl ceiling. And he didn’t even seem to hit the floor.

He’s still a good player, and I like that we have him for four more years under contract. But if he had hit his floor, maybe the Super Bowl would have been winnable.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 06:41 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:

I don’t think there’s a reasonable argument, other than the hope that he takes a huge leap in his sophomore year, that CEH’s contributions were worth the 32nd pick.

We took a player with a high floor and a Pro Bowl ceiling. And he didn’t even seem to hit the floor.

He’s still a good player, and I like that we have him for four more years under contract. But if he had hit his floor, maybe the Super Bowl would have been winnable.
Watch that offensive line and tell me why CEH underwhelmed....

Andy and Eric still don’t call enough runs in games except after when they’re lambasted for not doing so and feel they need to send a message - for example, the Buffalo game....
[Reply]
Chief Northman 06:43 PM 03-14-2021
For me, the disappointment with CEH came in the passing game. The mismatch he was supposed to be or promised as never materialized, and if Mahomes has a flaw in his game, it is that his timing and decision making with chain moving passes to running backs has never been front of mind for him.
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:11 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:

I'm not so sure he missed his floor. He played in 13 games including the one he got hurt in. In a handful of those games, he didn't really get the ball all that much. Whether that was on him or on playing calling, we'll never know. Oh and yes the O line was not great at run blocking. Still, he produced 1100 yards from scrimmage, scored 5 times and didn't give the ball away. I'm not sure we're gonna get tons more from a RB in this offense.

Not saying he was all world or anything and the debate on draft position vs value is one worth having but it's not like he was a total bust or even close. I'm excited to see what he can do in year 2.
[Reply]
In58men 08:23 PM 03-14-2021
Kind of difficult to be disappointed given the circumstances. No offseason and a shitty offensive line. He’s going to take a leap forward this season.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 08:28 PM 03-14-2021
I think CEH will be a nice player but I think that Taylor and Dobbins would have been better picks. I do think his height hurts him in the passing game.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:31 PM 03-14-2021
Using anything but a 3rd or later pick on a RB is one of the worst uses of draft capital in the NFL. The only thing worse is taking a special teamer or fullback.

I'm not going to bag on Veach too hard, although having Tee Higgins right now would look pretty good.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:50 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
I think CEH will be a nice player but I think that Taylor and Dobbins would have been better picks. I do think his height hurts him in the passing game.
No on Taylor. Dude had 1000 carries in college. He won't be around long.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:51 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Using anything but a 3rd or later pick on a RB is one of the worst uses of draft capital in the NFL. The only thing worse is taking a special teamer or fullback.

I'm not going to bag on Veach too hard, although having Tee Higgins right now would look pretty good.
Or a LB.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:55 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Or a LB.
Nah. The hit rate on LBs in the first is 2nd only to OL. It's a great position to take. The issue is there's usually only 1 or 2 worth taking in the 1st and if they are they usually get snatched up quickly.

The Steelers gave up 1-20, 2-59, and a 2020 3rd to move up in 2019 for Devin Bush. The same could very well happen for JOK this year. Team's don't let the really good LB prospects fall very far very often.

If there isn't a stud there in 1, they wait until the 3rd and bank on traits guys as a rule. Very much follows the path of TEs.

Round 1 RBs don't have that good of a hit rate, in fact, they are the lowest right there with DT.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:02 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Nah. The hit rate on LBs in the first is 2nd only to OL. It's a great position to take. The issue is there's usually only 1 or 2 worth taking in the 1st and if they are they usually get snatched up quickly.

The Steelers gave up 1-20, 2-59, and a 2020 3rd to move up in 2019 for Devin Bush. The same could very well happen for JOK this year. Team's don't let the really good LB prospects fall very far very often.

If there isn't a stud there in 1, they wait until the 3rd and bank on traits guys as a rule. Very much follows the path of TEs.

Round 1 RBs don't have that good of a hit rate, in fact, they are the lowest right there with DT.
Exactly why I wouldn't take a LB before the 3rd. Because the Chiefs aren't going to be picking that high in the 1st until Mahomes retires.
[Reply]
Up