ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tell Me About Your Chili
eDave 01:11 PM 11-08-2015
It's chili season. Tell me about your chili. I love chili. Chicken chili.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:43 AM 11-09-2015
Cornstarch to thicken.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:46 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Ten Things About My Chili

1. I like to use 80/20 ground beef.

2. You can cut it 50/50 with ground turkey if you like.

3. I like good dark red chili powder, cumin, some minced garlic, black pepper, a bit of onion powder, some yellow mustard

4. Instead of using a small can of tomato sauce, I use rotel and about a third of a bottle of chili sauce to thicken it up.

5. Add Frank's Hot Sauce if you like a kick.

6. No beans in the chili. Beans served on the side like black beans or pinto beans.

7. I put diced white onion and cheddar cheese on the top. Saltine crackers or fresh biscuits.

8. Dill pickle chips on the side to cleanse the taste buds.

9. A dash of dark beer in the chili is OK too. I like to use a good bock beer like Shiner or Boulevard Bob's 47. Not too much, just a bit.

10. I don't like my chili to be runny.
FYP
[Reply]
gblowfish 09:46 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Two pounds of ground sirloin, browned.
30 ounces of Hunt's tomato sauce
Chili powder
Onion powder
Cumin
Crushed black pepper
Crushed red pepper
Cayenne pepper powder
Black beans, rinsed.

I usually simmer for a few hours, checking the flavor and add more spices if necessary.

I grate fresh Monterrey jack cheese and dice onions to add as requested.
That's pretty much a spot on recipe. Can't go wrong with any of that.
[Reply]
Predarat 09:52 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I always prepare to make chili after barbecuing food. Especially brisket. Irreplaceable flavor + good way to use leftovers that are often hard to reuse.
Wow Brisket Chili is awesome. Our Mid Major College team had a stand with a guy that owned a BBQ place and on cold weather games he had this smoked brisket chili that was out of this world. Too bad the prices chased him out, it was some good eating.
[Reply]
sedated 09:58 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Cornstarch to thicken.
I'm not a fan of cornstarch, it breaks too easily and seems to make liquids...awkward...when reheated. I add a flour slurry about halfway through the cooking process and that seems like a more naturally thick gravy.

And I use steak instead of ground beef. Something cheap with little fat like bottom round. Cut into 1/2" cubes and cook low and slow for 6 hours.
[Reply]
Predarat 09:59 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
What does that mean?

Again, I don't give two fucks either way. I'm not a chili guy. Then again, I probably just haven't had good chili.
The beans vs no beans debate will never, ever end. And if you enter a Chili Cook Off the judges that have a preference will implement their bias. So just hope the judges are on your side.
[Reply]
sedated 10:00 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I like to use 80/20 ground beef. You can cut it 50/50 with ground turkey if you like.
I'm not sure I get the addition of turkey. It doesn't add any flavor and if you drain the beef after browning then you are cutting out so much of the fat that it might as well be turkey.
[Reply]
sedated 10:02 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by Predarat:
The beans vs no beans debate will never, ever end. And if you enter a Chili Cook Off the judges that have a preference will implement their bias. So just hope the judges are on your side.
If you are in a chili competition there will most likely have separate categories.
[Reply]
tooge 12:55 PM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Cornstarch to thicken.
I've tried to thicken it two ways, both were, I would think, much better than cornstarch.

1. Used an immersion blender on the beans and about half the meat, then added the rest of the meat in. It results in much thicker chili and was damned good. I did this prior to adding onions, diced maters, and really anything else.

2. I've used corn meal. A little goes a long way, but it adds a great flavor to chili and a nice thick end result.

I don't do either of these very often, because so many people want a more "runny" chili. I prefer it a bit thicker if I'm just making it for me.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:58 PM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by tooge:
I've tried to thicken it two ways, both were, I would think, much better than cornstarch.

1. Used an immersion blender on the beans and about half the meat, then added the rest of the meat in. It results in much thicker chili and was damned good. I did this prior to adding onions, diced maters, and really anything else.

2. I've used corn meal. A little goes a long way, but it adds a great flavor to chili and a nice thick end result.

I don't do either of these very often, because so many people want a more "runny" chili. I prefer it a bit thicker if I'm just making it for me.

Yup. Masa slurry is really good.
[Reply]
bevischief 01:52 PM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by ping2000:
No beans. Just don't.
A teaspoon of baking soda takes cares of the effect of beans.
[Reply]
ping2000 02:39 PM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by bevischief:
A teaspoon of baking soda takes cares of the effect of beans.
Doesn't take care of the taste, texture, and overall grossness of the beans though. Can you tell I don't like beans? If you don't want me to come to your chilli cook off, just add beans . . . or invite Cosmo.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:42 PM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by ping2000:
Doesn't take care of the taste, texture, and overall grossness of the beans though. Can you tell I don't like beans? If you don't want me to come to your chilli cook off, just add beans . . . or invite Cosmo.
Do you feel this way about all beans in general, or a particular type of bean?
[Reply]
lewdog 02:44 PM 11-09-2015
I'm gonna have some people over, use Danes chili recipe, for football this weekend. Seems pretty straight forward.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 02:45 PM 11-09-2015
Due to this thread, this had to happen. Thanks, eDave!

[Reply]
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up