ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 7
« First < 34567
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Dow falls 800 points on China trade confusion and mounting fear tariffs are choking g
oaklandhater 04:11 PM 12-04-2018
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/mar...global-n943641

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by almost 800 points Tuesday, to close at 25,027, continuing a shaky start to the week prompted by confusion over a thaw in U.S.-China trade relations.

The Dow finished the day down 3.06 percent. The S&P 500 lost 3.2 percent of its value, and the Nasdaq fell by 3.8 percent.

The decline on the blue-chip Dow came just one day after a 300-point rally, with investors cheering news that President Donald Trump and China's President Xi Jinping had settled their differences at the G-20 economic summit over the weekend.

Trump announced via a weekend tweet that China would "start purchasing agricultural product immediately," and that "China has agreed to reduce and remove tariffs on cars coming into China from the U.S." Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin echoed the positive sentiment, telling CNBC on Monday, "This is the first time that we have a commitment from them that this will be a real agreement."

On Tuesday, Trump tweeted, "The negotiations with China have already started. Unless extended, they will end 90 days from the date of our wonderful and very warm dinner with President Xi in Argentina."

However, no joint statement from the U.S. and Chinese trade teams was issued after the leaders of the world's two largest economies met on the sidelines of the G-20. While the Chinese Foreign Ministry acknowledged that further talks on tariffs would proceed, Beijing has yet to corroborate details on any major parts of the trade agreement, with Chinese state media avoiding any reference to a 90-day condition, nor did it mention an agreement to unilaterally reduce car tariffs.

“The market is reassessing if anything tangible happened at the Trump-Xi dinner,” Brent Schutte, chief investment strategist at Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company, told MarketWatch.

A protracted tit-for-tat over import tariffs has dominated the economic landscape since Trump first imposed them in January, with markets in turn rallying and tanking as investor sentiment veered.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:24 PM Yesterday
Previous Close 24,388.95
Open 24,360.95
Volume 389,690,618
Day's Range 23,881.37 - 24,500.81
52 Week Range 23,344.52 - 26,951.81
Avg. Volume 340,516,666
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 05:34 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
No, I moved everything a bit earlier when I checked and it was down again.
Good for you. This is short term moves. Stay with quality. And I hope you get back on your feet soon. Stay strong.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:37 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Good for you. This is short term moves. Stay with quality. And I hope you get back on your feet soon. Stay strong.
After working with daily dialysis for four years, and then amputations on both feet for a year, two days after I filed for disability I found out my job would not be moving forward with my company's merger.

Been a shitty 2018.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 06:10 PM Yesterday
After working with daily dialysis for four years, and then amputations on both feet for a year, two days after I filed for disability I found out my job would not be moving forward with my company's merger.

Been a shitty 2018.
Sounds horrible. Prayers for you for sure
[Reply]
patteeu 07:52 PM Yesterday
I've lost 5% of my 401k in the last 3 months. Being unemployed, I can't really afford that.
Are you planning to draw from your retirement savings any time soon?

n/m I see you've addressed this.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 7
« First < 34567
Up