View Poll Results: People are hoarding toilet paper because they are:
Stupid 34 16.50%
Selfish 6 2.91%
Stupid and selfish 151 73.30%
Other. Please explain in thread. 15 7.28%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll
Page 15 of 30
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Idiots are hoarding toilet paper because?
Pitt Gorilla 01:20 PM 03-14-2020
We know the idiots hoarding bottled water have zero idea about how viruses spread, the water supply, and anything, really. The toilet paper people are similarly perplexing, but their idiocy is at least worth consideration.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:57 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
First of all aren't you one of the TP hoarders? I specifically remember you posting about how you were planning to barter with all the TP you've hoarded.

With that being said I'd really like to see you explain how buying way more than you need solely in your own self interest, to the point others can't get what they need for the short term isn't selfish.
No, I think you need to explain how having extra TP, purchased in a time of abundance and plenty to-go-around 8 years ago, in order to barter with others, is selfish, when bartering is a mutual exchange that gives each side what they need. Ya' know you got something I need, and I have something you need--let's make a deal. That's a GOOD thing--NOT a BAD thing.

My buying extra at earlier times, did not adversely affect any one at that time, and others could take of the same abundance in availability but choose not to.

As I have said before, when you live in a hurricane-prone area you need to have preparedness so you avoid the lines or go without. It's usually canned food and water people stock, with TP overlooked. So you use the TP for barter with others to trade as it often overlooked.

My self-interest? You say that like there is something wrong with that. Self-interest and survival isn't necessarily selfishness. It's a healthy self-interest.
Per your value system and reasoning, my having stocked with other preparedness items such as long-shelf freeze-dried foods is also selfish.

Apparently you have some animus towards it so try to paint it as a bad selfish behavior. Sounds to me like you didn't ever think of some remote possibility of any disaster to prepare for some sudden emergency if it ever struck and now you're criticizing others for your own lack in foresight by virtue-signaling that you're more virtuous and good.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:02 PM 03-18-2020
BTW it's called "prepping" not "hoarding." The latter is derogatory.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:05 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Most grocery stores down here are limiting purchases to two packages now.
Why didn't they do that a week ago? The big stores absolutely knew what was happening and could have stopped it fairly quickly.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:11 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Why didn't they do that a week ago? The big stores absolutely knew what was happening and could have stopped it fairly quickly.
No one knew how things were going to pan out until it looked like it was really going to be worse or bad. Information and policy has been changing regularly.
Now there might be a full two-week shut-down. That means folks need enough for two weeks but some think a couple of months and there are different size families. There's conflicting information as well. I read the regs were loosened on truck drivers to allow them to drive more or for longer, yet I overhear Costco saying their truck did not arrive for PTs. Then a man claiming the truck drivers are not driving because of the virus so supply chains are not being affected inside the country. They now post a sign out front as to what they no longer have in-stock. I was at Michael's this morning, which is next to my Costco and already the line from the day before outside has 4X'd. Cashier at Publix tells me people are in line at 7 AM every day now. But there are definitely shortages and that freaks people out to get as much as they can. The stores like like supermarkets in the former Soviet Union.

I saw the change over a two week period, just doing my normal Costco run. Two weeks and a few days ago, I couldn't understand why Costco was a virtual traffic jam inside until I did my next round and people were lined up outside waiting to get in.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:20 PM 03-18-2020
Where I buy my fish, which is an outdoor fish market, the cashier told me Costco took away her husband's second package of eggs. She said her and her husband normally eat 120 eggs per week--mostly just using egg-whites. They're fitness people.

So the rationing doesn't take into consideration what some normally buy or even family sizes.

I don't even understand why there is rationing when we hear the experts telling people our farmers make enough food and there is plenty of TP and PTs. That contradicts the need to ration if that's the case, and yet there are shortages. If there's plenty then why shortages, especially with stores placing limits on items.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:26 PM 03-18-2020
If you people would learn to fast like ive been doing over the past year you would need much toilet paper. Do a 48 hour fast eat a meal, do a 24 eat a meal, do a 48 eat 2 meals etc.... I can make a roll last 2-3 weeks like that.

But right now I have intermittent beer shits .
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:29 PM 03-18-2020
Or just pass on the fiber and go less. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:32 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Nope. One only--at Costco and Publix on a daily basis.
It’s ridiculous. Everyone uses toilet paper. I’m sure we have the manufacturing capacity to provide TP to everyone. Assholes hoarding and buying up TP caused this. How long before people’s TP stock runs out? They can’t get Tp? Riots over TP?:-)
[Reply]
FlaChief58 12:33 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
If you people would learn to fast like ive been doing over the past year you would need much toilet paper. Do a 48 hour fast eat a meal, do a 24 eat a meal, do a 48 eat 2 meals etc.... I can make a roll last 2-3 weeks like that.

But right now I have intermittent beer shits .
I like food too much to participate in such foolishness, plus I feel bloated if I don't take a big old dump at least once a day.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 12:45 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
No, I think you need to explain how having extra TP, purchased in a time of abundance and plenty to-go-around 8 years ago, in order to barter with others, is selfish, when bartering is a mutual exchange that gives each side what they need. Ya' know you got something I need, and I have something you need--let's make a deal. That's a GOOD thing--NOT a BAD thing.

My buying extra at earlier times, did not adversely affect any one at that time, and others could take of the same abundance in availability but choose not to.

As I have said before, when you live in a hurricane-prone area you need to have preparedness so you avoid the lines or go without. It's usually canned food and water people stock, with TP overlooked. So you use the TP for barter with others to trade as it often overlooked.

My self-interest? You say that like there is something wrong with that. Self-interest and survival isn't necessarily selfishness. It's a healthy self-interest.
Per your value system and reasoning, my having stocked with other preparedness items such as long-shelf freeze-dried foods is also selfish.

Apparently you have some animus towards it so try to paint it as a bad selfish behavior. Sounds to me like you didn't ever think of some remote possibility of any disaster to prepare for some sudden emergency if it ever struck and now you're criticizing others for your own lack in foresight by virtue-signaling that you're more virtuous and good.
Yes it's not quite as bad because you didn't rush out knowing there would be a shortage & buy. However your entire premise is to take advantage of some sort of crisis by bartering with TP at an increased rate vs what you paid for it.

And, no, I'm fine on TP. Try again with the analysis. I think the more likely scenario is you're defending the behavior because you're guilty of the same thing to some degree.
[Reply]
Bwana 12:56 PM 03-18-2020
Heh my neighbor came over and told me our local Costco just got in a big shipment. I told him thanks, but I'm good.
[Reply]
J Diddy 12:57 PM 03-18-2020
I won a free subscription to Sports Illustrated from T-Mobile. I have ample supply that also doubles as reading material.

I improvised, I adapted.
[Reply]
Bwana 01:47 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
I won a free subscription to Sports Illustrated from T-Mobile. I have ample supply that also doubles as reading material.

I improvised, I adapted.
I guess If I run into hard times, I also have a 60 pound box of shop rags out there. :-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 01:52 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
Yes it's not quite as bad because you didn't rush out knowing there would be a shortage & buy. However your entire premise is to take advantage of some sort of crisis by bartering with TP at an increased rate vs what you paid for it.
That's just your opinion...a bullshit one. You're jealous and triggered.

Originally Posted by :
And, no, I'm fine on TP. Try again with the analysis. I think the more likely scenario is you're defending the behavior because you're guilty of the same thing to some degree.
Virtue signaler.

Prolly just jealous of anyone who was smarter and likely hate successful people too. See I can play the same games as you, Mr. Judgmental. No wonder you call yourself a scarecrowe. :-)

Thing is people laughed back in 2012--now they're not.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 01:53 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Heh my neighbor came over and told me our local Costco just got in a big shipment. I told him thanks, but I'm good.
My neighbor just told me Costco is now restricting how many can enter the store here.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 30
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up