ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 95 of 163
« First < 45859192939495 96979899105145 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:22 PM 11-22-2012
Turned out to be an excellent year. 151 inch whitetail with my bow and now a 161 inch with my rifle.
[Reply]
demonhero 06:04 PM 11-23-2012
Didn't find an actual bow hunting thread, and I figured this would be a good spot to ask.

http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.co...=ELLMRTA6330RH

Bought this bow, and would like to know if its acceptable for a first time bow hunter for deer? Dad is like 50+ for reference, and neither of us have experience with bows just guns. Any accessories should I get for the bow?
[Reply]
Gonzo 06:35 PM 11-23-2012
Originally Posted by demonhero:
Didn't find an actual bow hunting thread, and I figured this would be a good spot to ask.

Bought this bow, and would like to know if its acceptable for a first time bow hunter for deer? Dad is like 50+ for reference, and neither of us have experience with bows just guns. Any accessories should I get for the bow?
I don't know a whole helluva lot about Martins but this one looks pretty good for a nice starter bow.
Get a good release, (if you plan on finger-shooting then get some I those rubber string knobs called "No Gloves").
You'll want a good stationary site, something use friendly.
Also get a peep site installed on the string. It helps with accuracy and keeps you're rest point consistent when you draw the bow.
Wax your strings after each use.
Buy 20 arrows, (I use Easton carbons) and always use the same weight arrowheads.
There's a million other things you need, (a good quiver, dampeners, etc) but you'll acquire them and figure everything out over time. The sport can get expensive once you really get into it. Iowanian is a great guy to know when it comes to this stuff. Make friends with him... :-)
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 08:40 PM 11-23-2012
Next three days will be in stands with my bow. Now that we are past the week of hell with the brown and down shitbags the hunting should be good
[Reply]
demonhero 10:19 PM 11-23-2012
Ight, thanks Gonzo. I bought some dampeners.
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:07 PM 11-29-2012
I'm not an expert. Reading this thread will confirm that.

In short, it used to be difficult to find a good bow, there were only a couple of manufacturers who made quality products. Today, there are many manufacturers who imo make quality hunting bows.

My first advice is to find a local bow shop, tell them what you're doing and go there and shoot and hang out and learn. If there is a local or area archery club go shoot target range and 3D. It will help you learn distance and shot placement.

For your dad, I'd be concerned about draw weight and let-off %. It's important that you can easily draw back your bow and hold it.

You'll need to make sure your knocks are set right, a peep site, stablizer, good release, and I'd get an optic site with 3 pins set at like 20-30-40 yards.

Then.....practice. Practice some more. Then practice shooting from a tree stand at a target and learn the difference in shot placement from an elevated position versus shooting from the ground.

Read about my dispair and learn from it and don't live it.

Good luck...Bow hunting is awesome when it doesn't suck.

Originally Posted by demonhero:

[Reply]
quailchaser 03:22 PM 11-29-2012
Bow hunting from a ground blind, is it worth my time or should i stay in my tree? My tree stand hunting pasture has been taken over by rifle hunters and i need to find another spot until the season is over. Im thinking of a ground blind because of the easy set up and take down time.
[Reply]
ghak99 03:53 PM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by quailchaser:
Bow hunting from a ground blind, is it worth my time or should i stay in my tree? My tree stand hunting pasture has been taken over by rifle hunters and i need to find another spot until the season is over. Im thinking of a ground blind because of the easy set up and take down time.
Yes, if you need to push in and get to an area you normally can't it's absolutely worth the time.

Some of my best bucks have came from ground blinds sets where there was not a tree big enough to hang a set.
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:59 PM 11-29-2012
I know guys who have success from ground blinds. A lot of them will be tucked into brush in a fence row or field edge.
[Reply]
quailchaser 02:43 PM 11-30-2012
Thanks for the advice, i set the blind up under a few elms and tried to get the outline broke up as much as possible. Saturday cant come soon enough.
[Reply]
penguinz 03:41 PM 11-30-2012
I have not been hunting since I went with my grandpa when I was 5. I would really like to start next fall. Any suggestions on research I should get started on?

I would like to bow hunt but would have to purchase all the equipment. I have access to rifles so that would be no cost.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 05:35 PM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I have not been hunting since I went with my grandpa when I was 5. I would really like to start next fall. Any suggestions on research I should get started on?

I would like to bow hunt but would have to purchase all the equipment. I have access to rifles so that would be no cost.
Always keep the wind at your face.
[Reply]
philfree 11:56 PM 12-07-2012
I had a great trip to SD back at the first of November. My dogs did great and my pup who just turned 2 years old was retrieving those roosters like a lab. I didn't really get any good pics but here's a pick of two of my dogs, Hoss and Call, backing my other dog Gus who's not seen in the pic. This was at a place called Running Spring Farm located near scenic Everton, MO. I call this pic 'Backing In The Sunshine'

[IMG][/IMG]
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 12-08-2012, 09:05 AM
This message has been deleted by Bill Lundberg.
Bill Lundberg 09:29 AM 12-08-2012
Nice Picture Phil. Here's one from our Thanksgiving hunt.
Attached: 486952_4991449192554_153333354_n.jpg (169.6 KB) 
[Reply]
O.city 12:03 PM 12-18-2012
So, fixing to get the greenlight on a new bow set up.

I've been hunting with an older bow for a while, so time to move on up. Can any of you guys tell me about PSE products? I'm not wanting to spend a whole lot.
[Reply]
Page 95 of 163
« First < 45859192939495 96979899105145 > Last »
Up