ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>XFL to make a comeback
In58men 02:18 PM 12-16-2017
HE HATE ME!!!!!!!!

https://deadspin.com/vince-mcmahon-m...xfl-1821354064

Looks like a landing spot for Kap and Manzy.
[Reply]
B_Ambuehl 12:38 PM 01-25-2018
I'd like to see someone start an alternate basketball league with wider courts, longer courts, and higher rims. The NBA and NCAA are just boring to me now because the players have developed to a point where the courts are too small. Everyone runs the same offense and there's little diversity in play. I think if you widened the courts and raised the rims you'd bring back the inside game and have a lot more diversity in style of play.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:40 PM 01-25-2018
Tebow, Manziel, and Kaepernick could be starting QBs. :-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:42 PM 01-25-2018
I don't have any delusions that this could work but it couldn't come at a better time. While the NFL fan experience is built by a bunch of suits with no imagination, will be interesting to see a league that actually connects with their fans. Especially at a time when millennials are so disconnected from the sport.

The NFL should be rum more like an entertainment option, not a business. And I think the xfl will get that. They only survived one year and yet are responsible for a lot of the innovation in today's NFL.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:56 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I don't have any delusions that this could work but it couldn't come at a better time. While the NFL fan experience is built by a bunch of suits with no imagination, will be interesting to see a league that actually connects with their fans. Especially at a time when millennials are so disconnected from the sport.

The NFL should be rum more like an entertainment option, not a business. And I think the xfl will get that. They only survived one year and yet are responsible for a lot of the innovation in today's NFL.
Wrestling has been in a downward spiral for years when it comes to ratings. RAW and Nitro used to be able to get 4 to 5 million viewers each during the same time slot, with a lot less TV's in homes, and now WWE is struggling to get over 3 million just for RAW, except for the peak time of January to April.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:09 PM 01-25-2018
I predict that even if this gets off the ground, it will fail spectacularly.

The original XFL was a joint venture between WWE and NBC, whom at the time, didn't have any NFL Broadcast Rights.

Finding a broadcast partner, when NFL ratings have seen a downturn recently, isn't going to be easy.

McMahon has stated that "We want someone who does not have any criminality associated with them whatsoever. In the XFL, even if you have a DUI, you will not play in the XFL," McMahon said. "If Tim Tebow wants to play, he could very well play.", which will make it much more difficult to find a talent pool, especially since the NFL expanded their Practice Squads to 10 from 8.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL countered by allowing more PS players and expanding the Game Day roster.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:12 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
In other words, 2 hour games featuring only Choir Boys, with an emphasis on player safety.
[Reply]
Hoover 04:12 PM 01-25-2018
I heard that KC will be getting an XFL team because of all the people here who say they won't watch Mahomes since Reid is still calling plays and Sutton is our DC....

Look for Geno Smith to be the QB in KC for the XFL....
[Reply]
SuperChief 04:14 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I predict that even if this gets off the ground, it will fail spectacularly.

The original XFL was a joint venture between WWE and NBC, whom at the time, didn't have any NFL Broadcast Rights.

Finding a broadcast partner, when NFL ratings have seen a downturn recently, isn't going to be easy.

McMahon has stated that "We want someone who does not have any criminality associated with them whatsoever. In the XFL, even if you have a DUI, you will not play in the XFL," McMahon said. "If Tim Tebow wants to play, he could very well play.", which will make it much more difficult to find a talent pool, especially since the NFL expanded their Practice Squads to 10 from 8.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL countered by allowing more PS players and expanding the Game Day roster.
I think he's hedging on this being less relevant/important as time goes on. Simplification of the game should broaden it to a wider audience, and that combined with a potential international audience make streaming options the most logical choice. In tandem, of course, but typical network reliability won't be a major issue in the future.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:16 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's live events. Somebody will broadcast it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:17 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I think he's hedging on this being less relevant/important as time goes on. Simplification of the game should broaden it to a wider audience, and that combined with a potential international audience make streaming options the most logical choice. In tandem, of course, but typical network reliability won't be a major issue in the future.
He'll need a broadcast partner with money. Otherwise, he'll have to create an App for all streaming devices and somehow, garner an audience and advertisers.

It's truly an uphill battle. The NBA is growing in popularity, MLB baseball ratings are good and nothing can compete against the NFL from August to February.

If the rationale for lower Broadcast Network Ratings is "overexposure", the XFL won't benefit at all.

Plus, as we all know, the quality of play will suck.
[Reply]
Hoover 04:17 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Lets see, I bet TNT or TBS could stop showing reruns of Law & Order for a few minutes in return for some XFL. What's crazy is that NBC carried that shit.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:19 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
It's live events. Somebody will broadcast it.
I find it difficult to believe that CBS, NBC, Fox or ABC/ESPN would have any interest in broadcasting XFL games.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:19 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Lets see, I bet TNT or TBS could stop showing reruns of Law & Order for a few minutes in return for some XFL. What's crazy is that NBC carried that shit.
NBC carried it because they had lost the Broadcast Rights to the AFC to CBS.

NBC also lost tens of millions on the XFL.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:27 PM 01-25-2018
I hope they encourage the massive hits the NFL is pussying out on.

The NFL has over-featured the offense. Make this a showcase for defenders absolutely raping people.

Receivers should be absolutely terrified to go over the middle in the XFL.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:28 PM 01-25-2018
Broadcast rights could go to an online service. Hulu. Netflix. Twitter HBO.

I will do what I did the first time. Watch week 1. Quit watching.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up