ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 40
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:04 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
most quality LT's are first rounders.
How many qualify LTs are you finding at the end of the first round?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:07 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
How many qualify LTs are you finding at the end of the first round?
how many are you finding later? come on man.

It is what it is.

You want to go into the season with some street bums on Mahomes' blind side?

We're probably picking #32.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:10 PM 01-24-2021
I kind of like Leatherwood or Jalen Mayfield at the end of the first. I think either could possibly play day 1.
I like Mayfield a lot. I like Teven Jenkins a lot in that range.

I don't think Leatherwood is an NFL LT, or at least not in an Andy Reid offense.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:12 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I like Mayfield a lot. I like Teven Jenkins a lot in that range.

I don't think Leatherwood is an NFL LT, or at least not in an Andy Reid offense.
I thought maybe at RT.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:33 PM 01-24-2021
You’re already adding a very talented 3rd round pick. I know Niang is an unknown, but dude had some good tape against Young/Bosa.

Re-sign Remmers, and draft another one somewhere in the rounds 1-4.

Hopefully Schwartz can play 1 more year.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:39 PM 01-24-2021
how many are you finding later? come on man.

It is what it is.

You want to go into the season with some street bums on Mahomes' blind side?

We're probably picking #32.
And I’m fine with that. I’m just saying....what top LTs are going to be there at #32?
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:42 PM 01-24-2021
Man, it’d sure be nice if Schwartz wanted back in and was 100% healthy. It would give us so much breathing room to figure out LT.

You just can’t count on it.

I think it shoots to the top of our needs now.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:44 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And I’m fine with that. I’m just saying....what top LTs are going to be there at #32?
I don’t see OT being BPA there.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:49 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Agreed. This is a deep class and Andy is masterful with the OL.

If that’s BPA, then go ahead, but no pressure to do it in the 1st.
Honestly I think this year needs to be a focus on the offense. I’d like both of our first 2 picks to be offensive minded, ideally a WR first (unless a good LT is there) and an OL in the 2nd.

I feel like we have the luxury to do that with the addition of Sneed, Gay, Wharton and Danna.

Patrick needs another WR to replace Sammy.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:01 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Honestly I think this year needs to be a focus on the offense. I’d like both of our first 2 picks to be offensive minded, ideally a WR first (unless a good LT is there) and an OL in the 2nd.

I feel like we have the luxury to do that with the addition of Sneed, Gay, Wharton and Danna.

If KC wants an OT Veach will get one considering how he has tunnel vision for prospects he favors on the draft board
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:17 AM 01-25-2021
The evidence we have so far is that the Chiefs are comfortable getting by with bargains at guard but they’re perfectly willing to pay retail to get good tackles.

They’re going to spend some resources, guys. A fair amount of resources.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:18 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:

I’d prefer 2 of our first 3 picks to be OL and WR.

But that won’t keep me from taking a DE in the 1st that could take this defense to another level.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:34 AM 01-25-2021
You know who’s probably the best fit for our offense?

Walker Little from Stanford.

He had a knee injury in 2019, and opted out in 2020. Him and Niang would give you 2 1at round caliber talents at OT that fell due to injury.

That’s how you get value while not having to use a 1st.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:51 AM 01-25-2021
Let’s say Fisher does have a torn achilles, 2021 is the last year on his contract. It’s unfortunate, but does this injury change the plan at left tackle going forward? If somehow Niang or someone else was able to step up at left tackle in Fisher’s absence, maybe it makes sense to let him walk after next year?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:46 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Let’s say Fisher does have a torn achilles, 2021 is the last year on his contract. It’s unfortunate, but does this injury change the plan at left tackle going forward? If somehow Niang or someone else was able to step up at left tackle in Fisher’s absence, maybe it makes sense to let him walk after next year?

If Fisher doesn’t look like he can make it back at the start of next season,
I think they’ll either ask him to work a team friendly extension or cut him.

Originally Posted by staylor26:
You know who’s probably the best fit for our offense?

Walker Little from Stanford.

He had a knee injury in 2019, and opted out in 2020. Him and Niang would give you 2 1at round caliber talents at OT that fell due to injury.

That’s how you get value while not having to use a 1st.
Little IS a good fit. His stock has been up and down but he’s solidly in the second round range now.

I’d be cool with grabbing him there. I suspect his stock may rise as draft day nears.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 40
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up